TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Total Non-Stop Action

I learned my lesson on these spiffy wrestling games with Raw on the X-Box. Fortunately I was allowed to return it less than 24 hours later despite buying it used. I've had a Gamecube for a year and a half now and have had no desire to seek out wrestling games for it. Is it just me, or are wrestling games getting worse with better systems?

Day of Reckoning 2 is pretty good, actually, probably the best engine since No Mercy, the stamina thing tends to not be too too killer, and it has a decent storyline. Also has some very obvious Japanese touches. It's based on the same engine as the Japanese Wrestle Kingdom, I think, but that one's for PS2, oddly

I loved the hell out of Def Jam Vendetta, but maybe I should have been more specific and said "wrestling game based off of an actual promotion." Storylines mean nothing to me.

According to Midway's official pre-E3 press release, this game will be out in the spring for PS3, PS2, 360 and Wii.

According to Midway's official pre-E3 press release, this game will be out in the spring for PS3, PS2, 360 and Wii.

One part of good news for me then as I don't own one of the newer systems. Now it just comes down to whether or not Midway made a good game with a deep CAW. I'm not betting on it but I'm hopeful.

That screenshot of Christian is unreal.

Yea...too bad the in game shots don't look that good.

Not that the graphics are bad (Although I did notice blocky hands) but there's no point in hyping up the screen shot if the game looks nothing like that.

Guest stringerbell
Best coverage from Atlanta: www.wrestlinggamers.com

wrestlinggamers.com

Matt Parker here coming at you LIVE from the TNA EVENT IN ATLANTA! I had a chance to sit down with the developer, rather one of the developers of TNA Impact The Video Game to get YOUR questions answered. Below are the answers and some extra info!

As of now there are 25 wrestlers in the game

Each system WILL have exclusives but they have not been determined as of yet

Season mode will be based fully on the created wrestlers, there will be no season for the standard roster. It starts with the player waking up after plastic surgery in Mexico and then deciding to enter wrestling….

You can defend titles in exhibition mode.

A demo will be available in spring.

You WILL be able to put your music into entrances

There will not be create a entrance. There will be the regular roster’s intros and 10 or so generic to choose from.

Downloadable content is in the planning stages. Something Midway would like to do but are not sure if it will make it.

The “cut off” for the roster and attire is January. They shouldn’t have problem adding people until then.

You cannot fight on the stage or leave the ring area.

Tables are in. Ladders are questionable. I wouldn’t count on flaming tables either.

Commentary is in. It is still very early with only a few phrases hard to tell the final outcome.

Each profile will have 16 CAW spots.

Six sides of steel match is in.

Unlockable content is a yes. Money will be used to unlock things. Not sure what will be unlockable move sets are almost certain.

The game WILL NOT feature any type of ref.

The game will have around 2500 moves.

The game will only feature four wrestlers on the screen period. Four wrestlers online period.

Weight detection will be in. Midway promises game play like no other. I can’t comment on this with the build I played. I will explain this in greater detail later this evening.

Wrestlers will carry belts to the ring around their waists; this is planned as of now.

Area specific damage is in and should play a major role in game play.

The facial expressions WILL CHANGE based on what is happening to the wrestler.

Wrestlers should have two attires in multi colors.

There will be around eight arenas which will be unlocked as you play through story mode.

UPDATE: YOU CANNOT MODIFY WRESTLERS. HOWEVER, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO COPY THEM IN CAW THEN MOD THEM.

The only online mod planned is exhibition.

According to Midway CAWS should look just as real as the preloaded wrestlers.

King of the Mountain is in. How it will work exactly is on the table.

Run-Ins will enter the ring for thity seconds or so then exit or remain ringside they will only help for thirty seconds.

The DPad on the Xbox (this will vary based on each system) controls run-ins. It will also allow you to have a “second wind” and further more perform “dirty moves.” However these will only be able to be done once a match each.

AJ and Samoa have been to at least five game design meetings. As well as Christopher Daniels.

Tag Team Moves are in, 3D is in.

You should be able to do wrestler vs. wrestler. IE Kurt Angle vs. Kurt Angle.

Wii will be online, PS2 will be online.

Season mode will be based fully on the created wrestlers, there will be no season for the standard roster. It starts with the player waking up after plastic surgery in Mexico and then deciding to enter wrestling….

.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What??

Seriously? Really?

Wow. This sounds like it might be horrible enough to be a "so bad it's entertaining" game.

.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What??

Seriously? Really?

Wow. This sounds like it might be horrible enough to be a "so bad it's entertaining" game.

As good as THIS?

dang... I think that looks pretty good. The whole no entrance thing blows, but eh.. guess we have to wait (as alwayssssss) for companies to put in everything we want. Still though, looks and seems to play very good so far.

One day, I am going to hack my way into some wrestling game to steal their textures and remake No Mercy since every single developer seems to just not believe that a good 90% of the wrestling game playing audience telling them they want the No Mercy engine/gameplay is what is wanted.

Take No mercy, speed it up a bit (But not to Def Jam Vendetta speeds) and some better animations and you would have the highest rated Wrestling game this side of Fire Pro. Its been almost 10 years and no one has done it YET (although DOR came close)

Biggest complaints with the video is the unrealistic movesets(but then again, every wrestling game has that), and the fact that Sting and Angle fly WAY too far.

Biggest complaints with the video is the unrealistic movesets(but then again, every wrestling game has that), and the fact that Sting and Angle fly WAY too far.

I'm really really hoping that Angle and Sting had those movesets for demo reasons only. I would be very dissapointed if they ended up actually having those moves in their movesets.

I think those moves were only in for demo purposes. The game still needs polished and bugged checked but it does look very nice. Course, we'll see how it plays and whoever thought of THAT season mode needs a swift jab to the throat.

Guest stringerbell

wrestlinggamers.com

I think it is important for me to once again stress that the version of the game we had the opportunity to play today was at best 60% complete. We had a limited roster and all of the wrestlers had the same moves. The “weight detection” or as I like to call it “laws of physics” engine hasn’t been added. Meaning wrestlers can do any move regardless of size. These items aide, Midway really has something going for them….

This is the first installment of TNA. They have ten years of catch up in reference to SmackDown! Vs. Raw. There aren’t a lot of features in this game that I’ve come to expect from wrestling games. The lack of backstage areas for me personally is a huge turn off.

The game played well, I think. I liked the game but the verdict is out, just because the version of the build we played was so early. If Midway stays on track with what they have planned and the game keeps the feel it has it is safe to say this will be one of the best wrestling games ever.

The learning curve on this game is less than a few minutes… The elements in the game’s controls allow anyone to pick up the game and jump right into the action. Midway kept true to total nonstop action. This game is fun to play because you can pick it up and within minutes be performing cool moves.

The ring area isn’t interactive, yet. The announce table is at ring side, the announcers wont be in the final version but the table should be interactive.

One world can really sum up this game: Details. Everything in this game is interesting, when the wrestlers get close to the ropes, the ropes move. The ropes aren’t “wall-like” as previous wrestling games have been. Another aspect is the crowed, it seems so real. I could not find two crowd figures that looked the same. The lighting in the game is fantastic; they feature the multi color lights and the TNA light symbol rotating through the crowd and on the floor.

As I’ve stated before the wrestlers don’t stay down. For example if I jump off the turnbuckle onto the ground and hit angle onto the cement he gets back up just as quick as my character would. I have been assured this will be fixed.

I need to play another installment of the game when it is further along. The roots of this game are amazing.

One day, I am going to hack my way into some wrestling game to steal their textures and remake No Mercy since every single developer seems to just not believe that a good 90% of the wrestling game playing audience telling them they want the No Mercy engine/gameplay is what is wanted.

Take No mercy, speed it up a bit (But not to Def Jam Vendetta speeds) and some better animations and you would have the highest rated Wrestling game this side of Fire Pro. Its been almost 10 years and no one has done it YET (although DOR came close)

Not even close to close enough.

I fully endorse this plan, however. I still enjoy No Mercy even if it's slow as hell and BUTT-ugly.

What the hell is taking this game so long? FFS, 2 Zeldas have been released since it was announced. I know building a game for the first time takes a lot longer than what Yukes/THQ is doing--just crapping out the same rehashed title over and over again with a few tweaks, but I think they probably had to have gone through scrapping and rebooting already.

Would it kill whoever did that writeup preview to actually explain how the gameplay works? I don't give a crap what the crowd looks like.

I've always wanted to call THQ or Yukes and just talk to one of their guys and ask them to let me test their Smackdown vs Raw game and just let me give them suggestions and hopefully they'll see some kind of freaking light to make their games better. I'm more and more tempted every year I play one of their games.

According to gamingring.com the early build has gameplay very similar to No Mercy as stated before. Weak grapples, strong grapples, etc.