TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Total Non-Stop Action

I hope that's what they're going for somewhat. If you're making an alternative to SVR, you might as well make it a bit different. I'm not saying it should be WrestleMania the Arcade game, but give it an edgy, slightly over the top personality that has nonstop action.

Completely off-topic, but has anyone attempted to play Thunder on a PS3 with the 1080p PS1 and 2 update? Despite it being the biggest piece of shit wrestling game in history, (as far as controls go), with the PS3 firmware update, and all the polygons (or lack thereof) smoothed-over, the game looks pretty good. Still plays like shit though :firing: .

Why is it that Thunder gets slagged to no end when people forget it was the SEQUEL to WCW Nitro, which plays basically *exactly* the same and has fewer play modes? Is it just the overall lack of any improvement?

Completely off-topic, but has anyone attempted to play Thunder on a PS3 with the 1080p PS1 and 2 update? Despite it being the biggest piece of shit wrestling game in history, (as far as controls go), with the PS3 firmware update, and all the polygons (or lack thereof) smoothed-over, the game looks pretty good. Still plays like shit though AR15firing.gif .

I'd actually love to see that.

I actually dug out Warzone a few weeks ago and played a lot of it. The game's overall feel is clunky as hell, but the poly models have held up surprisingly well and I still remembered a lot of moves, so I ended up stomping a lot of guys in short order.

Why is it that Thunder gets slagged to no end when people forget it was the SEQUEL to WCW Nitro, which plays basically *exactly* the same and has fewer play modes? Is it just the overall lack of any improvement?

Yes. It's the same reason why Attitude and especially the ECW games got so much flak, more so when you stack these games up against what AKI was doing at the same time.

Actually, Attitude was fairly well regarded at the time, as was Warzone.

However, Nitro and WCW vs. NWO came out at about the same time. I remember vs. the World being rather chunky and problematic, but when Nitro came out, I groaned at how awful it was. Then I got vs. NWO, which blew me away not only on how good it was, but what an improvement it was over Vs. the World. Most magazines grumbled about the Acclaim games, but there weren't any other AKI games for it but Vs. the World, and a lot of the Acclaim games' faults were forgiven because of the CAW.

However, the ECW games simplified the controls for the Attitude engine, leaving all of the other problems of the engine intact, at a time when AKI was making the WWF games, making it look even more long in the tooth than it would have.

I seem to recall ToS in Nitro too, but ugh, you just reminded me of how damn repetitive that "POWERBOMB!" *bam* and "Piledriver!" *metallic smash* crap was in Nitro. Maybe you're right, though, because I think an ad plugged the ToS for Thunder.

In both games, IIRC, there were exactly 3 move sets except for the "unique" moves (everyone had 3 character-specific moves, and one of them was a finisher). There was the cruiser set, the heavyweight set, and the hoss set. Sometimes it made no sense who had a set, because Booker T was treated as a cruiser.

Speaking of the unique moves, they had the weirdest execution method I'd ever seen in a wrestling game. You didn't charge up a meter, waggle a stick, strong grapple, or even execute an MK-ish command. No, you had to quickly press 3 buttons. Most of the time you had to slide your thumb over 3 buttons quick, or mash a button a few times then switch to another.

Finishing moves were DEATH in that game. Totally death. Sometimes they didn't make any sense either. Beware Stevie Ray's devastating BIG BACK HITS! Hidden characters--even ones that were actual competing WCW wrestlers--just used the main characters' moves, resulting in crap like Konnan using the Liontamer.

Nitro was one of the few games I bought new and took back to EB games demanding a full refund (back when they had that policy). There were exactly 3 entertaining things about the game.

1. Those stupid "rant" videos where the wrestlers begged you to pick them.

2. The stupid hidden characters (Santa Claws! Reanimator! Frankensteiner!).

3. The stupid arena where you could make everyone do the Y-M-C-A.

Aw, c'mon, how can you not dig the alien doing the Ric Flair strut, or the Tyranosaurus doing the Hogan poses w/ his stubby little arms, or the Santa Cutter (bang!)?

1. Those stupid "rant" videos where the wrestlers begged you to pick them.

3. The stupid arena where you could make everyone do the Y-M-C-A.

yea that was awesome lol

Aw, c'mon, how can you not dig the alien doing the Ric Flair strut, or the Tyranosaurus doing the Hogan poses w/ his stubby little arms, or the Santa Cutter (bang!)?

I did say that it was one of the few entertaining things about the game.

I pretty much used Santa over DDP, given the choice, because I never liked him but liked to watch the move.

Nah. The game sucked hard, but if a game full of characters like that would be a blast with a great engine. Hell, I love the Ultimate Muscle Gamecube game, even though it's more arcadey than the other AKI games and has no license.

Ultimate Muscle made me buy an American Cube just so I could play it. It was worth the money for, "where is your memory card?"

Those rants in Nitro and Thunder were the only good thing about the games. I think I spent more time on the character select screen than the actual game. Kevin Nash in particular is awesome, he's all lazy and tells you to pick someone else.

Those rants in Nitro and Thunder were the only good thing about the games. I think I spent more time on the character select screen than the actual game. Kevin Nash in particular is awesome, he's all lazy and tells you to pick someone else.

Oh come on, a game where you unlock wrestlers, and the wrestlers just look different, while retaining the same taunts and moves as the person you used before?

LA PARKA WITH THE LIONTAMER~!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32767.html

New trailer.

Also...some internet people got a chance to play with the game over Mania weekend and they seemed to like it pretty well. I can't find the Mike Johnsons stuff from PWInsider but here's the guy from 411:

http://www.411mania.com/games/previews/725...ii)-Preview.htm

Despite the lack of information over the last 12 months, this game is LOOKING really amazing. If TNA have a chance to beat WWE at one thing, I think its the Computer Game market, and if this game doesn't fall into the typical Midway Over the Top Arcade production bracket, it might just do that.

I'll be buying this.

Indeed, I think we're going to be surprised with this one.

Everyone is too quick to jump on the "OMG it's gonna be WrestleMania the Arcade Game all over again!!" bandwagon, IMO. What people have to remember is that that game was made 13 years ago, and we also have to remember that Vince & Co probably had their hands all over the type of game that was created. Vince probably saw the popularity of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and wanted a fighting game just like those.

The lack of information really isn't all that surprising. TNA wanted to announce they had a video game deal as soon as they could...but the game isn't going to be getting a ton of video game press while it's in development. It's still a few months away so I'd expect to see the marketing start in a bit.

What has me most excited is when Samoa Joe talks about the game (like at his conference call the other day) since he's a big gamer (AJ's talked like this too...and is also a big gamer) and he says the game is turning out exactly how he wanted it when they brought him and AJ in to discuss it at the beginning. He's sure it's going to be something wrestling gamers are going to love...and that has me pumped.

I know people say that there is little info if any out on the game, but any word on what the storyline/career/season mode is like?

smark comment alert: "You can only be Kurt Angle lolZ!" sorry, had to get that one out of the way. Personally, haven't heard anything about career mode and what the storyline behind it might be.

Best coverage from Atlanta: www.wrestlinggamers.com

wrestlinggamers.com

Matt Parker here coming at you LIVE from the TNA EVENT IN ATLANTA! I had a chance to sit down with the developer, rather one of the developers of TNA Impact The Video Game to get YOUR questions answered. Below are the answers and some extra info!

As of now there are 25 wrestlers in the game

Each system WILL have exclusives but they have not been determined as of yet

Season mode will be based fully on the created wrestlers, there will be no season for the standard roster. It starts with the player waking up after plastic surgery in Mexico and then deciding to enter wrestling….

You can defend titles in exhibition mode.

A demo will be available in spring.

You WILL be able to put your music into entrances

There will not be create a entrance. There will be the regular roster’s intros and 10 or so generic to choose from.

Downloadable content is in the planning stages. Something Midway would like to do but are not sure if it will make it.

The “cut off” for the roster and attire is January. They shouldn’t have problem adding people until then.

You cannot fight on the stage or leave the ring area.

Tables are in. Ladders are questionable. I wouldn’t count on flaming tables either.

Commentary is in. It is still very early with only a few phrases hard to tell the final outcome.

Each profile will have 16 CAW spots.

Six sides of steel match is in.

Unlockable content is a yes. Money will be used to unlock things. Not sure what will be unlockable move sets are almost certain.

The game WILL NOT feature any type of ref.

The game will have around 2500 moves.

The game will only feature four wrestlers on the screen period. Four wrestlers online period.

Weight detection will be in. Midway promises game play like no other. I can’t comment on this with the build I played. I will explain this in greater detail later this evening.

Wrestlers will carry belts to the ring around their waists; this is planned as of now.

Area specific damage is in and should play a major role in game play.

The facial expressions WILL CHANGE based on what is happening to the wrestler.

Wrestlers should have two attires in multi colors.

There will be around eight arenas which will be unlocked as you play through story mode.

UPDATE: YOU CANNOT MODIFY WRESTLERS. HOWEVER, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO COPY THEM IN CAW THEN MOD THEM.

The only online mod planned is exhibition.

According to Midway CAWS should look just as real as the preloaded wrestlers.

King of the Mountain is in. How it will work exactly is on the table.

Run-Ins will enter the ring for thity seconds or so then exit or remain ringside they will only help for thirty seconds.

The DPad on the Xbox (this will vary based on each system) controls run-ins. It will also allow you to have a “second wind” and further more perform “dirty moves.” However these will only be able to be done once a match each.

AJ and Samoa have been to at least five game design meetings. As well as Christopher Daniels.

Tag Team Moves are in, 3D is in.

You should be able to do wrestler vs. wrestler. IE Kurt Angle vs. Kurt Angle.

Wii will be online, PS2 will be online.

Yeah, it's a bad Vince Russo storyline for career mode... you get the shit beaten out of you and somehow end up in Mexico with no memory of yourself. You pick out your characters features while getting the operation and then you're off to find out just who did this to you.

That's fine by me. I can live with the storyline as long as I have fun doing it.

2500 moves?? No fucking way, thats Fire Pro-esque. Even HCTP didn't have that many, or the first SvR.

Yeah, it's a bad Vince Russo storyline for career mode... you get the shit beaten out of you and somehow end up in Mexico with no memory of yourself. You pick out your characters features while getting the operation and then you're off to find out just who did this to you.

*shrugs* It's a video game, so the storyline will work out. Just as long as I'm not throwing construction workers off a building again.

*shrugs* It's a video game, so the storyline will work out. Just as long as I'm not throwing construction workers off a building again.

Wrestlemania XIX was epic, being able to F-5 a construction worker on a steelbeam like 40 feet in the air was magical... MAGICAL

You know, Wresetle Mania XIX actually grew on me. Murdering alot of wrestlers and construction workers and cops was fun. Especially with your CAWs. I made a Neo one and it was like playing a decent Matrix game. Then I made a Hulk CAW and maxed out his strength and beat the shit out of everyone.

Plus, choke Slamming people through steel grates 40 feet below and then hitting a 60 foot frog splash....awesome.