TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Misused songs

Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive", used as a feminist anthem.

The song was written about a headache.

Not buying it.

Here is an obscure one, Twiztid's "Wrong with me" is often used as an emo juggalo anthem about how depressed they are and how nobody likes them. The song is actually a first person about demonic possesion.

Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive", used as a feminist anthem.

The song was written about a headache.

...at least Laz's interpretation was somewhat plausible

Yeah, that's a big one.

Ya cuz "obscure" and "big" are synonyms. Great to see your intelligence make it to the party, Czech.

I went to a wedding where "Perfect Day" was the first dance by the bride and groom.

I don't get it (Some Lou Reed fan I am :( )

Collective Soul's "Perfect Day"

Oh. Nevermind then

No, it was Lou Reed's. My understanding has always been that the song is about heroin use.

The second single from Siamese Dream, and the one that made them "alt-rock superstars", Today, was released in September. Today was also the song that helped Billy overcome his depression and thoughts of suicide, "I was really suicidal. I just thought it was funny to write a song that said today is the greatest day of your life because it can't get any worse."

I thought of another one.

"Summer Girls", the one hit that boy-band LFO had, is generally thought of as being about summer. The song is actually about absolutely nothing.

In fact, the Canadian government has granted a Quebec laboratory $150 million to research the song, in an attempt to figure out who in their right mind thought that "When you take a sip, you buzz like a hornet/Billy Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch of sonnets" was a good rhyme. Your tax dollars at work.

Anytime 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' is used as an excuse for just good ol fun times. It's about Heroin.

'Start me up' for Windows '95. I'm pretty sure that's just a good ol fun rocker, but that's just wrong.

And Green Day's Time of your Life song is actually called "Good Riddance" There you go for inappropriateness. Hate that song either way. Heard it played at a funeral, myself. It sucked.

Any time a Toby Keith song is played, it's misused.

There was an ad for some first-person shooter (Red Faction?) where they used the song "Go Ask Alice" (Not even subtly about acid) and while I could say it was misused, it was honestly awesome, and grabbed my attention.

'Thick as a Brick' is about abortion? You learn something everyday. Of course, I can't understand a word in a Jethro Tull song, so that's that.

Oh wait, I just remembered the ABSOLUTE BEST ONE. There was some Disney movie called 'Dinosaur'. During the commercial they played this cool wailing chorus with techno beats. I immediately cracked up. The song which has that chorus is just a filthy techno song from excellent dirty techno band Lords of Acid. My friends in the room thought I was losing my shit, then I played the song to which that chorus belonged. (Yes I own dirty techno albums) Here's the lyrics in full, of course they didn't appear in the commercial:

'The Crablouse' By Lords of Acid

I wanna talk to you about forbidden pleasures of the flesh

The most thrilling satisfaction for all mankind

Better than everything you ever imagined in your wildest dreams:

The secret of the crablouse

Here's a message for the girls about vaginas

And the consequence of fiddling with a partner

Mind your labia they're never out of danger

If you're gonna go to bed with a stranger

Creatures might be hidden in his pubic area

It's the crablouse that's out to get ya!

It's gonna grab you by the pubic hair

Shake your pussy when the bastard's there

[CHORUS]

It's there to stay, sucks all day

It's there to bite, my parasite

My love machine, my maddest dream

Turns me on, makes me cum

The little vampire, horny and so greedy

It doesn't care about a penis and it's envy

It's intelligent, nasty and it's sick

A party animal, a pervert and a pig

If a crablouse gets mixed up in your saliva

Stumbles through your body right into your vulva

Then waits patiently until a penetration

Gets it out of there and right into salvation

[Chorus]

Now we know the little crablouse is a raver

You can't get rid of it unless you use a razor

It's unbearable, funky and so cool

A real smartass and nobody's fool

If you meet a guy who's scratching at his totem

We all know that it's connected with his scrotum

He might tell you that his undie is too tight

But you'll know that it's the crablouse and you're right

[chorus]

It;s a pretty good techno song, too. That's gotta be the ultimate inapproprite song though. A fucking Disney movie.

Vertigo by U2 for Ipods, it's about Christianity page which breaks it down,

Shit, I thought it was a 'rah-rah' song. The Boss is fucking incomprehensible.

Christianity page which breaks it down,

This is one of the most hilariously lame pages I've ever read, about a hilariously lame song.

'Vertigo is spiritual shrapnel! Get Lacerated!' Are you fucking joking me?

I still find it funny that a lot of people think "Born in the USA" is a "rah rah go America!" song

I remember a few years ago on July 4th AOL put up a poll asking about a new national anthem and Born in the USA was an option. Also, I seem to recall hearing or reading that Bruce started doing to low key acoustic version to make people listen to the lyrics and realise what it's about

Edited by Masked Man of Mystery

Shit, I thought it was a 'rah-rah' song. The Boss is fucking incomprehensible.

It's about Vietnam Lyrics

Amusingly enough, when I looked up the lyrics, the first site that showed up was a patriotic song site, with a disclaimer about how the song was not, actually, patriotic.

And it would be awesome if AOL put up a pole. They'd be celebrating Festivus!

Amusingly enough, when I looked up the lyrics, the first site that showed up was a patriotic song site, with a disclaimer about how the song was not, actually, patriotic.

And it would be awesome if AOL put up a pole. They'd be celebrating Festivus!

Fixed now, and I find it very funny that so called "patriotic" sites don't want free speech.

I remember for a Geico commercial hearing the beat to "Now you're messing with a son of a bitch." Didn't think it made sense for that song to be in commercials for people they'd like to do business with

I always thought 'Born in the USA' was one of Springsteens easiest songs to hear/understand the lyrics...of course, Im not at all surprised that America remains confused...

Vertigo by U2 for Ipods, it's about Christianity page which breaks it down,

That one actually makes sense, though, because it's really an ad for the "U2 iPod" ... so using their current hit song would make sense.

Kind of like the page 1 reference of that Kanye West song in Jarhead ... my guess is that it's on the soundtrack, and thus makes sense to be used in the ad.

"I Will Always Love You" being used as a wedding song when it's about a breakup.

'Start me up' for Windows '95. I'm pretty sure that's just a good ol fun rocker, but that's just wrong.

It was also Microsoft's second choice. They wanted "The End Of The World As We Know It," but R.E.M. turned them down.

"I Will Always Love You" being used as a wedding song when it's about a breakup.

It was also Microsoft's second choice. They wanted "The End Of The World As We Know It," but R.E.M. turned them down.

Are you kidding or being serious? I could see arguments for both

Edited by Masked Man of Mystery