TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Misused songs

No, it was Lou Reed's.  My understanding has always been that the song is about heroin use.

Not really, but it's still a very depressing song. It starts off innocently enough ("Just a perfect day/feed animals in the zoo/then later, a movie, too") before it veers deep into the dude's psyche ("you made me forget myself/I thought I was someone else/someone good") and then, most troubling, he makes cryptic threats towards either the object of his affection or himself ("you're going to reap just what you sow").

"I Will Always Love You" being used as a wedding song when it's about a breakup.

'Start me up' for Windows '95. I'm pretty sure that's just a good ol fun rocker, but that's just wrong.

It was also Microsoft's second choice. They wanted "The End Of The World As We Know It," but R.E.M. turned them down.

Are you kidding or being serious? I could see arguments for both

Serious. It was on their Behind The Music episode. The narrator talked about how much money they turned down and Michael Stipe said something about how Microsoft was sombody they just didn't want to sell out to.

At a friends' funeral years ago, his best friend wanted to use "End of the Road" by Boys II Men...that song would make it sound like they were gay lovers.

Having read through this I will go with the CCR song on the jeans commercial. To anyone who has ever heard Fortunate Son it's embarrassing that it would be used as a rah rah song for a jeans ad.

In fact that's even worse than Born in the USA being used out of context. The lyrics are similarly bleak but Born in the USA at least has a rah rah type chorus to it that the Reaganites latched onto. Fortunate Son is a raw sounding, angry song.

I'm not usually one to bump an old thread, but I have a strong example of inappropriate song use.

The Disney Channel used to air a sitcom called Kids Incorporated, which was based around a group of teenage bandmates. Each show called for a segment where they would cover a popular song. One of these episodes found this group of kids covering "Dancing With Myself." Yes, the Billy Idol song about jerking off.

I remember they played 'love don't cost a thing' at the end of the wedding planner starring Jennifer Lopez, which just seemed odd because the subject of that song (a guy trying to buy a woman's love) had absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the film.

I think that was more to the fact that song was a hit and the singer was the lead actress. More to do with shameless promotion than misuse of song.

I remember the commercials for Hellboy used a Dimmu Borgir song. At first I didn't think it was fitting, but now? It somewhat is.

However, using "More Human Than Human" (White Zombie) for just about EVERY action flick in '96 and '97 was just wrong. The song gets its line from Blade Runner, and a lyrical breakdown (using a lot of out-there metaphors) reveals...well, that Rob Zombie loves sci-fi. Of course, it was just the slide-lead used, so whatever.

Not a mainstream thing, but this kid in one of my classes used "Fame" by David Bowie in a video about his family. I was stoked about the song, but then I was like, "What the fuck does this have to do with your Filipino family?"

And some chick used "California Dreamin'" in a video about her family migrating to NEW YORK. C'mon...use your head.

I'm not usually one to bump an old thread, but I have a strong example of inappropriate song use.

The Disney Channel used to air a sitcom called Kids Incorporated, which was based around a group of teenage bandmates. Each show called for a segment where they would cover a popular song. One of these episodes found this group of kids covering "Dancing With Myself." Yes, the Billy Idol song about jerking off.

They're teenagers. It just might be apropros.

I remember Kids, Inc. I seem to remember a semi-decent "Ghostbusters" version done on that show, with a pretty hilarious video where those backpack vacuum cleaners were the proton packs.

Guest !!!

Special K confusing "Brick" with "Thick as a Brick" is maybe like top 4 greatest Special K things ever, behind the time he asked me about exams, and probably three other things.

Can't forget Martina McBride's "Independence Day." Sean Hannity uses it for his show even though the song is about a woman being abused who finally gets revenge by burning down the house with her and her abuser inside. Not exactly the most patriotic tune.