TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annabelle

Christian

Doubt it. TNA's not going to waste money on licensing music from indy bands unless they were to offer it pro-bono as an almost free-advertisement type of deal. If anything, if he does come in, he'll get the generic MIDI music that everyone else does. =\

Guest Rubin

Amazing at the internet wide overrating of Christian. There's a place for him on the card, but he is not top tier material. He's not as good of a worker as people are making him out to be. Sure he was getting pops , but that doesn't necessarily mean that he can be a big drawing card. A lot people get pops and can't draw a dime. He doesn't have a look that screams main eventer and no it doesn't have to do with not having a roided up look. There are a number of smaller wrestlers that have had marketable looks and can look like credible main eventers. People like HBK, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero Chris Jericho fit the bill. Another thing with Christian is that he's too much of a goofball to be a serious main eventer. People talk about what a great mic worker he is, but really he's almost like a Disco Inferno or Simon Dean.

Ofoourse, there's this usual nonsense about TNA knowing how to use talent, how they will make him into a real superstar and they'll draw bigtime numbers with him. Please! He's too much of a goofball and he's been jobbing for too long for TNA to look like a serious force with him on the roster. RVD or Jericho would be much bigger coups and would make a bigger impact. Yeah, like he's going to shoot straight to the top with a crowded main event scene. Jeff Jarrett will always be in the way and Monty Brown is the eventual go to to guy. Once the novelty of his debut wears off and someone else from WWE goes joins TNA he'll be stuck in the same spot he was in with WWE.

The thing about how TNA will know how build his character is a joke as well considering their piss poor character development. Looking at all these other WWE guys in TNA, they're still going by the same act they had in the past. Everybody said that TNA could take the former Dudleys and reinvent them to make them more fresh, as a result of them losing their names. From what I have seem they are still doing the same WWE act as much as far as they can legally go with it. Team 3d? Brother Ray and Brother Devon? These are just watered down versions of their old identity. You've also got Rhino still being the same guy he was in ECW and WWE. Oh yeah, his legs get cut out from under him on the prime time special. TNA hasn't proven anything that they can really make better use of these guys and make their characters more interesting.

Just wanted to comment on a few things Rubin said...umm... As far as I can tell, Christian has never put in a position to draw but you give him some time to develop a bit and allow the TNA fans a chance to get behind him, I am sure he can draw. Christian has a different look that the guys you mentioned in the main even scene and I pretty much welcome that. When I see the guy he just screams cool and fun and that's totally someone who I can get behind. And I also don't think that just because he's a fun guy to listen to that it wouldn't allow him to be a main eventer. I mean, I think of Rock and Mankind specifically who were credible but also fun to listen to on the mic. If Christian either tones it down a tad, he can be that type of fun main eventer that's different from the other intense guys cause I really can't think of anyone in the TNA main event is a fun guy. Jarret's a jerk, Rhino is Rhino, AJ is all business, Raven is emo, ya know...it'd be refreshing, at least for me. Disco and Simon or total gimmicks, like stupid gimmicks, so I can't see the comparison between Christian and them.

Now, I will reserve judgment of TNA's handling on Christian until I see what they do, if it happens. But I will give Christian credit that he got out of WWE when he could instead of falling for their BS and staying another 3 years or so. So I'm hoping he'd show the same kind of smarts and not join TNA unless he thinks it's right for him and his career. He doesn't want to be lower on the card compared to where he was in WWE.

Guest Rubin

Rock and Mankind looked like they were able to get down to business, be a threat and not come off as being so dorky when trying to be fun. Christian has a bland look,comes off as too comedic and dorky and he hasn't shown that he can come off like threat , which is what main eventers need to do to be taken seriously.

Guest SavageRulz
Christian could be big in TNA but they have to get his push right.

1. He must never job to Jeff Jarrett

2. He needs to come straight into the main event, no build up in the midcard, just walk over to TNA and be "I'm the big star, you're all pathetic and can't match me, where's my world title"

And coming straight to the main event wouldn't make sense since casual viewers did see him suffer those losses, even if none of those viewers care about the exact number. Christian should main event eventually if he goes to TNA but his perceived credibility has to be rebuilt first.

That was his problem going over to Smackdown. He comes over with all the hype and the great build up he'd had on Raw, and then gets jobbed out. They dropped the ball.

He has credibility to TNA fans, TNA is still a lot smaller than the WWE and having him sit around the midcard, whether he's winning or not, I don't think does anything for him at all. Did they have Raven turn up in TNA and sit in the midcard, or did they have him come straight out and go right after the belt, setting up what is probably still the biggest match in their history.

Christian has enough name value and drawing potential to come straight in at the top of a small promotion like TNA. Anything less will hurt him, and it'll hurt him quickly.

His perceived credibility could be cut right back in the space of one night. A simple running through the crowd, going after the belt, cutting a killer promo putting hismelf over, and you've got some intrigue and a great new main eventer.

Rock and Mankind looked like they were able to get down to business, be a threat and  not come off as being so dorky when trying to be fun. Christian has a bland look,comes off as too comedic and dorky and he hasn't shown that he can come off like threat , which is what main eventers need to do to be taken seriously.

Well see, Christian has hardly been booked to be a threat and when that happens I totally see him being a full fledged main eventer. The one thing we have to remember is that WWE never had any intentions to have him as a main eventer so he's never been in that role threat. However, I am certain he can pull it off but acting like a threat is pretty easy, it's on TNA to push him as a threat though. Now, actually, looking back, while being effective Mankind has been pretty corny and dorky...think back to the this is your life Rock segment. Now his look, his look appeals more to me than Jarret, AJ and a lot of the x-division guys.. And for the record, I think Daniels, Joe and Abyss have the best looks on the roster.

Guest Fishyswa

Most of TNA's audience see's Christian as a main eventer that never was in WWE. It's not exactly illogical to have him contend for something right away.

Amazing at the internet wide overrating of Christian. There's a place for him on the card, but he is not top tier material. He's not as good of a worker as people are making him out to be.

And you know this because? Oh that's right because you've probably only ever viewed him work the WWE-style...........

I don't think TNA should change their World Title plans for Christian, but he should definitely be allowed to be in the ME and see if he can reinvigorate himself and get over as something more than a low level heel. He could be something completely different and better in TNA, but that's not a given yet. He needs some time to test the waters and see if TNA's audience will rally behind him.

I would have him as a ME face, similar to DDP's early days in WCW (only better on the mic). He could team with Hardy for a few tag matches against AMW, or a reunion match against Team 3D. I think he'd also do well in fueds against such heels as Daniels and Jarrett. My only point is that Christian needs time to re-establish himself before he can start being one of the top players.

Guest Zarock

One of the things that they'll probably do but really shouldn't is give Christian the gimmick he left with. Unfortunately, this really isn't the way to go. If you look at guys like Jericho and the nWo, one of their big selling points was that they were something different then what they were in their old place. Now granted, I really liked his old gimmick and they should keep enough of it so that fans can recognize him, but the main focus is that Christian is invading, and TNA is going to get their asses kicked.

This works very well for Christian because on the mic, he was usually the only one doing something interesting. Take for example the Jericho/Cena/Christian feud for SummerSlam. Whereas Jericho was indirectly pimping Cena's album, and Cena was really just being a giant dickweed, Christian just came out and said the album sucked. I think that, if properly used, Christian could very well the next big invasion angle guy. AND a major title holder.

p.s. Exactly how many times has the TNA title changed hands/is going to change hands this year? It seems nearly WCW bad.

p.s. Exactly how many times has the TNA title changed hands/is going to change hands this year?  It seems nearly WCW bad.

Uh...ok...Jarrett -> Styles -> Raven -> Jarrett -> Rhino...in 10 months. They're also not trying to get you to take their champions seriously by having them hold their belts from April to present-day.

Don't see the logic in that statement.

Amazing at the internet wide overrating of Christian. There's a place for him on the card, but he is not top tier material. He's not as good of a worker as people are making him out to be. Sure he was getting pops , but that doesn't necessarily mean that he can be a big drawing card. A lot people get pops and can't draw a dime. He doesn't have a look that screams main eventer and no it doesn't have to do with not having a roided up look. There are a number of smaller wrestlers that have had marketable looks and can look like credible main eventers. People like HBK, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero Chris Jericho fit the bill. Another thing with Christian is that he's too much of a goofball to be a serious main eventer. People talk about what a great mic worker he is, but really he's almost like a Disco Inferno or Simon Dean.

Ofoourse, there's this usual nonsense about TNA knowing how to use talent, how they will make him into a real superstar and they'll draw bigtime numbers with him. Please! He's too much of a goofball and he's been jobbing for  too long for TNA to look like a serious force with him on the roster. RVD or Jericho would be much bigger coups and would make a bigger impact. Yeah, like he's going to shoot straight to the top with a crowded main event scene. Jeff Jarrett will always be in the way and Monty Brown is the eventual go to to guy. Once the novelty of his debut wears off and someone else from WWE goes joins TNA he'll be stuck in the same spot he was in with WWE.

The thing about how TNA will know how build his character is a joke as well considering their piss poor character development. Looking at all these other WWE guys in TNA, they're still going by the same act they had in the past. Everybody said that TNA could take the former Dudleys and reinvent them to make them more fresh, as a result of them losing their names. From what I have seem they are still doing the same WWE act as much as far as they can legally go with it. Team 3d? Brother Ray and Brother Devon? These are just watered down versions of their old identity. You've also got Rhino still being the same guy he was in ECW and WWE. Oh yeah, his legs get cut out from under him on the prime time special. TNA hasn't proven anything that they can really make better use of these guys and make their characters more interesting.

You're giving two examples of ex-ECW guys who know what role gets them over, so of fucking course they arent going to steer clear of it too horribly much. TNA has done decent with Monte Brown, Abyss, and AMW recently in terms of character development.

As far as Christian goes and your thoughts on him, I would have agreed with you 6 months ago but over the summer he really could have gotten over and was clearly underutilized. They let the lion out of the proverbial cage and he roared, but for some unknown reason, they pulled back a TON on him and virtually buried him for no reason other than he was getting over. His match quality also picked up considerably as of late, so he's in line to be a breakout star wherever he goes at this point, IMO.

Amazing at the internet wide overrating of Christian. There's a place for him on the card, but he is not top tier material. He's not as good of a worker as people are making him out to be.

And you know this because? Oh that's right because you've probably only ever viewed him work the WWE-style...........

Well, really though, what other style has we worked? He's been in WWE for what, 6/7 years? And he did indy stuff before that. I doubt that he has this other style of working he's been hiding because quite frankly, when would have he developed it? He got snagged up pretty quickly by WWE after getting into the business.

The latest Observer has Meltz saying he thinks it's imminent that Christian is going to TNA. He says Christian is up for a movie role and wants to study acting and WWE, on top of lowballing him, didnt' want to give him the time to study acting or do the role. Christian lives 90 minutes from Orlando where they do the tapings and would only work 4-5 dates a month and would have time to do the acting. Plus, he's friends with Scott D'Amore from when they were both on the Canadian Indy scene.

Meltz has been wrong before, I just hope he's not now.

To add to more TNA/Observer news, Shannon Moore is expected to start soon as a heel.