TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sluggo

Joey Styles is at Taboo Tuesday

Joey Styles spotted backstage at Taboo TuesdayNov. 1, 2005

Joey Styles, the voice of ECW, arrived at 1:45 p.m. ET to San Diego's IpayOne Center at the Sports Arena via limousine.

Styles was immediately taken behind closed doors, but agreed to do an interview WWE.com as soon as his meeting with WWE officials is over.

Here is what I was just about to post as a new topic.

From WWE.com:

15145823it.jpg

Joey Styles spotted backstage at Taboo Tuesday

Nov. 1, 2005

Joey Styles, the voice of ECW, arrived at 1:45 p.m. ET to San Diego's IpayOne Center at the Sports Arena via limousine.

Styles was immediately taken behind closed doors, but agreed to do an interview WWE.com as soon as his meeting with WWE officials is over.

And from PWInisder:

I got a call a few minutes ago telling me that my former boss, Joey Styles, was backstage at Taboo Tuesday.  I thought it was a rib until a few readers emailed to tell me that WWE.com had a story up on their website about it.  They have a picture of Styles, saying he arrived at the building via limousine.  The story says, "Joey Styles, the voice of ECW, arrived at 1:45 p.m. ET to San Diego's IpayOne Center at the Sports Arena via limousine.  Styles was immediately taken behind closed doors, but agreed to do an interview WWE.com as soon as his meeting with WWE officials is over."

Given all of the public statements that Styles has made about not giving up his day job in advertising to return to wrestling full time and saying he would never work for WWE full time, for him to take time off from his job to fly out to a WWE PPV, it would certainly seem something is up

This has been one strange week so far.

Now given the trend with WWE.com, I can say that I believe WWE wants to bring him in as the new voice of Raw. HOWEVER, I believe, just because it is Joey, that he will probably decline.

Well this is a Joey Styles thread to nuts to you, Slickster!

I recall hearing that there was some consideration to bring in Styles when Goldberg (who, by the way, was going to be renamed if he signed) turned them down, but he "has too many enemies".

Please God let this be true. I cannot take the Coach as the lead announcer on Raw much longer. Thing is, if Styles was going to turn them down why would he fly all the way out to CA? He could talk to Vince on the phone and say "Sorry dude, not interested."

Styles would be awesome for RAW's announcer:

HHH just attacked Flair with a sledgehammer, OH MY GOD!

Yeah, seriously, the Joey Styles thing is completely it's own topic beyond Taboo Tuesday.

And Joey looks like the fuckin' man in that photo! I don't know if a Jeremy Piven on Entourage look-a-like tops that Dean Cain look-a-like appearance that Kevin Dunn apparently hired Todd Grisham for (????) but we'll see.

Would be funny if Joey turned them down though. I've long said that Joey Styles is the future voice of this company but it will be increasingly difficult to convincingly call the garbage that is put on our television sets ever week. I can't see him not shitting on someone like Chris Masters on commentary. I can see him making people like Shelton Benjamin look like superstars though and calling a classic HBK/Angle match.

The plus side is that they finally realized that Coach just ain't gonna cut it!

perhaps it's to discuss ONS 2 or even doing some ECW dvd. WWE threw it to us like he's coming in to take over Raw. Look at the Lesner and Jarrett stories they put up. Nothing ever materialize out of things.

[email protected]

Joey Styles was flown out of nowhere to San Diego to meet with Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn today about taking over as the lead announcer on Raw, and he may debut on tonight's PPV. This is an amazing about-face, because just a few days ago the office feeling on Styles was that they wanted nothing to do with him.

The new feeling is they have to drop the Jim Ross storyline because they realized they have no way out of it. Jim Ross' job is not on the line in tonight's match with Batista vs. Coachman. The feeling is the company needs to move on from Ross, that Coachman simply can't handle the job after his performance last night nor is the idea of a heel play-by-play guy, a few days ago touted as a new novel approach to TV, one that can work long-term. Styles is now believed by the company to be the only person that fans may accept in the Ross chair without a significant backlash.

At least they are showing some sense on this matter. One thing I always liked about Styles was his honesty on ECW. If a match sucked, or a wrestler was lame, he wasn't one to sugarcoat it.

The Coach is barely tolerable as an on air character at all, but he's truly awful beyond words as a lead announcer. First off, the PBP man cannot be all about trying to get himself over as a heel. The announcer is there to put the product and talent over, not himself. Second, it would help if Coach had the slightest idea how to actually call a match and get a storyline over.

perhaps it's to discuss ONS 2 or even doing some ECW dvd. WWE threw it to us like he's coming in to take over Raw. Look at the Lesner and Jarrett stories they put up. Nothing ever materialize out of things.

They would not invite him out to a PPV so they could discuss that! They would do that when things are a bit quieter, which they are most certainly not at the moment.

Meltzer just reported that Styles may be taking over RAW announcing, and could start as early as tonight at Taboo Tuesday.

Someone in this friggin' company finally got a clue.

How well do you think Styles & Jerry "Extremely Crappy Wrestling" Lawler will work together as commentators?

At least they are showing some sense on this matter.  One thing I always liked about Styles was his honesty on ECW.  If a match sucked, or a wrestler was lame, he wasn't one to sugarcoat it.

Yeah, but would Vince allow this?

Still, great news.

Joey Styles backstage at Taboo Tuesday

November 1, 2005

Earlier today, former ECW announcer Joey Styles was spotted backstage at Taboo Tuesday.

WWE.com: Why are you here and who invited you?

Joey Styles: I was invited by Kevin Dunn (Executive Vice President of WWE Television Production). Because Jonathan Coachman will be getting his head kicked in during his match tonight, there was an opening at the announce table, so I was brought in for the night to do play-by-play. Being a huge Internet wrestling fan, I couldn’t think of anything that would be more fun than Taboo Tuesday – the interactive pay-per-view. I think it’s a great idea to have fans pick the stipulations for the matches. I’m a little surprised the fans didn’t get to choose an announcer for Taboo Tuesday, but I like to think that if fans did get to choose, they would have chosen me.

WWE.com: What do you think lead WWE to calling you?

Styles: I’m sure the decision to call me was made a few seconds after WWE’s original choice realized he didn’t know enough about professional wrestling to fill the shoes of Jim Ross, even for one night.

WWE.com: At this point, do you know if this is another “one night stand” for you? Or is this a permanent move for you into the RAW announce booth?

Styles: As far as I know, this is another one night stand, which is funny because I was never the most successful single person in the world. The only pickup line that ever worked for me was “Will you marry me?” So I’ve now had two one night stands in one calendar year, which is probably more than I had in my entire single life.

WWE.com: At this point, has WWE told you anything about your future past Taboo Tuesday?

Styles: First of all, I want to say that I think Jim Ross was the greatest play-by-play man there has ever been in professional wrestling. I don’t think anybody could fill his shoes, his hat or his headset. But I’d like to think if somebody can, it would be me. It would be an honor. As far as I know, though, I was brought in for one evening because Coach cannot wrestle and do play-by-play at the same time, and some would argue that he can’t do either. So I’m just here for the one night. I’ll be doing play-by-play tonight. Then I’ll be on a plane, going back to my anonymous career in advertising sales in Atlanta. While I’m here, though, I’ll be sure to check out catering. The cheese plate was exquisite in New York at One Night Stand. I can’t wait to see what it looks like here in California.

WWE.com: What will it be like working with Jerry Lawler?

Styles: I have not seen The King since ECW Hardcore Heaven 1997 when he battled Tommy Dreamer. I’ve never had the opportunity to work with him in the broadcast booth. I’m looking forward to it because he’s a lot of fun.

WWE.com: If you had to pick a broadcast partner, who would be your dream color man?

Styles: I would rather slide over and do color and sit beside Jim Ross. He’s the best there’s ever been. Seniority means something in this business and I would be honored to sit next to good ol’ Jim Ross.

WWE.com: Do you have any thoughts on the way that J.R. was let go?

Styles: I think it took great restraint on his part not to take a swing at the McMahons. I’ve got somewhat of an undeserved reputation of being a loose cannon, which is usually reserved for wrestlers. I’ve been put in some compromising positions. I’ve probably been beat up and bounced around as much as any other play-by-play man, but to take that much abuse by three members of that family after everything that has happened to him over the years, I’m surprised he didn’t say “to hell with my job” and start swinging.

WWE.com: What have you been up to since One Night Stand?

Styles: About a year-and-a-half ago, I moved from my hometown in Stamford, Conn., coincidentally enough, and took a job with an advertising agency in Atlanta. Most people don’t realize that ECW wasn’t a full-time job for me. It looks like it is because you’re on TV once a week, but a lot of it was post-produced out of a studio in New York. So I always had a full-time job in advertising sales. When ECW ceased operations and I was unable to come to terms with WWE, I went back to my career.

So basically, I’m under contract now to WWE as the ECW announcer and I’m available at the company’s convenience. When they need me, they take the hammer and break the glass box that says “in case of an emergency, and you need an announcer, break glass.”

At least they are showing some sense on this matter.  One thing I always liked about Styles was his honesty on ECW.  If a match sucked, or a wrestler was lame, he wasn't one to sugarcoat it.

Yeah, but would Vince allow this?

Before One Night Stand, Vince told Joey directly that he wanted "the ECW Joey Styles" to announce that night.

I'm sure there will be guidelines. Not to say Styles won't push boundaries and test the waters, but Styles is representing WWE now and won't want to piss anyone off.

Guest MrBriggs
Before One Night Stand, Vince told Joey directly that he wanted "the ECW Joey Styles" to announce that night.

I'm sure there will be guidelines. Not to say Styles won't push boundaries and test the waters, but Styles is representing WWE now and won't want to piss anyone off.

And to be honest, that would be the right thing to do. I can't stand Vince McMahon and sometimes I loathe WWE.. but if you agree to call their pay per view and they're paying you for it, it's only fair to do it to the best of your abilities and attmept to put over the product as much as you can.

On a side note, I can't wait to hear some of the gems he slips by, though. :)

If someone gets hit by a low blow, I guarantee you Styles will make a reference at how he was chastized for saying "balls" at ECW One Night Stand.

Does anyone really believe him when he was saying this was another one time situation? What, like Coach couldn't call the show and then get his ass kicked by Batista, then call the rest?

I'm hoping Styles is here to stay.

God bless Stone Cold Steve Austin.

His walking out has single handedly killed the worst angle of the year dead, and WWE finally seem to be coming to their senses. Austin may have metaphorically slapped the sense into Vince.

Guest JMA

I'm curious to see how Styles and Lawler will work together. As for Coach, they should just have him become a manager at this point.

Guest tony manero

Just to clarify...Didn't Styles say it was only a night thing for Taboo Tuesday, since Coachman has a match?

Wow -- just WOW. The last 48 hours in this company has been like someone is on a drug bender - really fucking up some shit, not making any sense whatsoever in your desicions, not showing any perspective whatsover, hurting some people that mean something to you, and then when you sober up and reality hits, you realized how bad you fucked up and how you have to do something, ANYTHING, to help the situation.

So now appears to be the beginning of the backlash of the past few days with this move. It appears not only is Vince finally figuring out that, hey, he needs a play by play guy for the ppv since your current guy is IN A FREAKING MATCH but additionally, they have appeared to realize Coach just isnt cut out for almost nothing at all other than perhaps a third man on an annoucing team at the very most.

If he shows some fire tonight, even though there is many within the company who politically probably dont want him there, I hope Vince is man enough to admit that Styles is worth keeping in the spot, or at very best, put him alongside a returning Jim Ross and then keep Lawler, put him more back as more of a heel commentator, and GET THE FUCK RID OF COACH. Styles/Lawler/Ross would be a much needed spark in the Raw announcing.

Coach is better off probably, at this point, just being a manager or something, if that.

Just to clarify...Didn't Styles say it was only a night thing for Taboo Tuesday, since Coachman has a match?

For a newb, I commend you for bringing the common sense.

Good news: Joey Styles calling the ppv is better than Coach.

Bad news: It's a Raw ppv. Raw sucks.