TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sluggo

Joey Styles is at Taboo Tuesday

I can't believe i'll be tuning into RAW because of a play-by-play guy.

I can't believe I'm thinking about ordering Taboo Tuesday because of a play-by-play guy.

Has WWE's product gotten so stale that simple changes in the announce booth can cause someone to get so excited for change that they'd throw down $35?

I can't believe i'll be tuning into RAW because of a play-by-play guy.

I can't believe I'm thinking about ordering Taboo Tuesday because of a play-by-play guy.

Has WWE's product gotten so stale that simple changes in the announce booth can cause someone to get so excited for change that they'd throw down $35?

Yes, actually. I don't think it will pop a huge increase in buyrate, but I'd say just the addition of Styles to the announce booth for the event will generate a few thousand buyers that may not have purchased the show otherwise.

God bless Stone Cold Steve Austin.

His walking out has single handedly killed the worst angle of the year dead, and WWE finally seem to be coming to their senses. Austin may have metaphorically slapped the sense into Vince.

Yeah, because the angle that's replacing it is just GREAT, too, isn't it? :bonk:

Guest Ransome

I don't know how well Styles/Lawler will gel together tonight, but anything has to be better than Coach/Lawler (or JR/Lawler, for that matter). Seems as though WWE hasn't had a consistently good commentary team since JR/Heyman in 2001.

If Styles continued announcing Raw, I'd at least make an effort to watch it. Good announcing really can go a long way.

I would never buy a wrestling show based off of an announcer. I need a good show to get my money, not some guy talking. Sort of like how I'll never tune into a game just to hear the announcers calling the game.

I dunno, Dangerous A. I used to tune in for the Cubs constantly to hear Steve Stone and Harry Caray. I stayed with them when Chip Caray took over as well. Once they fired Caray and Stone I pretty much got sick of the Cubs since they now have shitty announcers I don't like and also suck on the field to boot.

Guest Chrisly_2005

Thank God one of wrestling's best announcers may finally make his way into the WWE, other than ECWONS. I like Coach but he could never carry RAW like Styles would be able to.

Guest *KNK*
I dunno, Dangerous A.  I used to tune in for the Cubs constantly to hear Steve Stone and Harry Caray.  I stayed with them when Chip Caray took over as well.  Once they fired Caray and Stone I pretty much got sick of the Cubs since they now have shitty announcers I don't like and also suck on the field to boot.

You weren't paying $34.95 to listen to Harry.

Once again, from PWInsider (all of these net reporters are staying busy here lately):

The word going around backstage at Taboo Tuesday is that in addition to doing the PPV tonight, Joey Styles will be doing Raw for at least the next few weeks, and quite possibly longer than that if all goes well. As I mentioned earlier, WWE knows that Jonathan Coachman is not the answer on play-by-play and there is also a lot of talk that they feel Styles' internet rep will quell the anti-announcing talk that has started since Ross was "fired" on Raw a few weeks ago.

There is a definite feeling within the company that they brought Styles in, at least in part, to generate a last minute buzz on the internet and get buys for a show that will no doubt be hurt by the loss of Steve Austin.  Some in the company also wonder how The McMahons can be so against internet wrestling websites yet employ Styles, who is the half owner of 1Wrestling.com (with former TNA employee Bob Ryder, who now is the TNA travel agent).  I have talked to a number of WWE employees that have wondered whether Styles will be forced to sell his interest in the site if he is hired on full time.  The feeling is that if he doesn't sell, it will a hypocritical standard that the McMahons can't possibly justify.

On a side note, I just read the interview that Styles did with WWE.com.  That site sure does like to mix the work with the shoot.

Guest Fook_Theta
I would never buy a wrestling show based off of an announcer. I need a good show to get my money, not some guy talking. Sort of like how I'll never tune into a game just to hear the announcers calling the game.

Funny enough I know a lot of people that refuse to listen to the announcers for any college basketball games, and instead listen to their teams radio announcer. Most popular example would be baseball play-by-play guys, but personally Woody calls all UNC basketball matches extremely well.

Comedy "I'd buy a PPV to hear Macho Man and Vince." option.

If they go with Styles for a few weeks they almost have to make it permanent. They can't have him and then a blow up backstage and then go back to the Coach. Hell no.

Guest *KNK*

I'd still take Heyman over Styles. Although I dont know if Heyman's awesomeness in 2001 was attributed to JR.

Guest JMA
I'd still take Heyman over Styles. Although I dont know if Heyman's awesomeness in 2001 was attributed to JR.

They could always team Styles up with Heyman. Man, that'd be weird.

I can't wait to hear Styles try to put over a horrible angle. :)

After hearing him say some of the stuff that he's said in the past, it would just have to kill him a little bit inside each time he does it.

Of course they could give him a gimmick, well a gimmick of sorts, where he's free to somewhat speak his mind on air about what he's seeing. That would be...interesting.

I don't buy the fact that Styles is only going to announce The Coach's match. What is the point of flying the guy out there just for ONE match? They could have just gotten Lawler to do it alone.

I don't buy the fact that Styles is only going to announce The Coach's match. What is the point of flying the guy out there just for ONE match? They could have just gotten Lawler to do it alone.

Or even had a different host altogether, like SS 94, with Monsoon replacing Lawler....is it that implausible to have say, Tod Grisham?

They just broadcasted Styles coming out to do announcing with Lawler on Heat - what a first match to call - Venis/Benjamin v. Kerwin/Stryker?!!

Ruck this fay-per-view.

I bought last year's, and it was so, so awfully bad it turned me off the product for a while. NYR was even worse.

It's about time to stop watching WWE until Royal Rumble (as it is every year).

Guest SavageRulz

Thing is you're comparing a play by play guy to a colour guy.

Heyman and Styles would make a good pairing I'd imagine, but it shouldn't be a case of one or the other. Heyman was great with JR, Styles with JR would have bored me to tears personally. Doesn't mean Styles isn't good, just that him and JR wouldn't have worked. Imagine Tenay and Styles? Dullsville. Both good announcers, but with no colour guy they'd suck.

Heyman and Styles would make a good pairing I'd imagine, but it shouldn't be a case of one or the other. Heyman was great with JR, Styles with JR would have bored me to tears personally. Doesn't mean Styles isn't good, just that him and JR wouldn't have worked. Imagine Tenay and Styles? Dullsville. Both good announcers, but with no colour guy they'd suck.

Except in the case of Styles, he could do color as well by himself.

Remember, for years he did ECW programming by himself.

Guest SavageRulz

Except in the case of Styles, he could do color as well by himself.

Remember, for years he did ECW programming by himself.

He did, and personally I didn't enjoy it much. He had a lot to his game but was at his best with someone like Callis beside him.

And all that time he announced alone, they would often bring someone in to commentate on a match or two with him. That's when he was at his best. When they'd get someone like the Franchise to go sit next to him and give him that extra dimension he was missing.