TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Good lifting plan?

Bump.

This isn't entirely similar, but what's a good training plan for a runner? I mostly do short distances, although I would like to improve my stamina as well.

Run hills. It will improve stamina, vary your exertion and provide interval training, and running downhill can improve your stride speed. Make sure to do a lot of core work, like abs and lower back. You will need a lot of stamina for longer runs, and a strong core helps keep your body upright. Carbs would be your friend. I would say a lot of whole grains, rice, pasta and fruit. You need a lot of protein as well, given your build. I would suggest grilled or baked chicken breasts daily, and a can of tuna daily.

Hills are good in moderation, once or twice a week. Most people will get back or knee problems from such. Resistance training, plyometrics, and circuits all work well for runners, and have good success rates for athletes looking to speed up in other sports; though mostly, you're just going to have to run more with varied terrains.

Dandy (EHME) pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've been a competitive runner for several years now. One of the biggest things I've noticed is strength (even upper body strength) has made me a better runner. I am probably a better runner at a fairly strong 157 lbs. than I was at a bony 145 lbs.

Also, don't over train. I realized that there was a threshold where I was just running too much and just making myself exhausted all the time rather than actually improving my running.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

More than a lot of athletic activities, I think distance running requires a certain degree of biology. I could quit smoking and train for it and still suck wind and blow snot after a mile. I couldn't even run like that as a kid.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Yeah, I think I had it in me to be a pretty good distance runner when I was younger, but I never pursued it like I should have.

I'm pretty sure that I do have the biology for it, I just need to train more.

At the moment my weigh fluctuates between 140 and 150 pounds as a 6'4 guy, so yes, I probably should improve my muscle mass if I want to pursue this.