TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

Benoit's contract up in 3 weeks

Guest *KNK*
I think ROH would pay Benoit more than they would the Dudleys.

Of course, they would actually shell out good money for Benoit. I was saying Dudleys asking price is too much for ROH, when ultimately Team 3D is good for a one shot appearence and maybe a Straight Shooting. The sales of Liger's doubleshot with ROH, the likely huge sales for Kobashi Matt Hardy's trio of shows drew bigger crowds then the norm, showing that bringing in big "outside" names can pay off.

Chris Benoit would be worth the money he's paid with the live gate as well as the sales. If Matt Hardy can draw an extra 400 people to a show, How you think Chris Benoit would fare?

I'm saying the money ROH would make in return, would be essentially paying Benoit cheaper then what paying Dudleyz for one shot would be.

It might sell more DVD than Kobashi.

Not likely, considering they can watch Benoit on tv every week for free.

More wrestling fans have heard of Benoit over Kobashi though. If they got the pub out it would draw in more fans.

I'll guess that more ROH fans have already seen Benoit live than have seen Kobashi live. That was the big lure of Kobashi; watching him live for the first time ever. Chances are most ROH fans have seen Benoit live.

Guest *KNK*

More wrestling fans have heard of Benoit over Kobashi though. If they got the pub out it would draw in more fans.

Holds very little significance. WWE marks aren't going to buy Ring of Honor dvd's simply because Chris Benoit appeared. Kobashi is a rarity for the American market. Chris Benoit has been easily exposed for over a decade. We've all seen Benoit on countless occasion.

Chris Benoit/Dragon and Chris Benoit/Low Ki would appeal to the IWC community, where ROH makes it's money but Kobashi/Joe would outdraw Benoit/Dragon, unless that match got similar ***** praise across the board.

KNK...to be fair, most people would consider Benoit/Dragon as ***** before they even stepped through the curtain.

Benoit would also be a bigger money maker for ROH, because Kobashi can only make sporadic appearances, where-as Benoit *could* become a regular for the company. In which case, he would draw something approaching Kobashi interest each time...plus, they can build feuds to improve the drawing potential. And Benoit as a ROH regular can't do anything but raise the profile of the company as a whole.

Kobashi's great for one/two shots, but Benoit would be the better investment.

As for whether he goes, I'm still leaning towards him staying. Not because the WWE value him so greatly as some people are saying, but more to stem the flow. First Jericho left, then Lesnar didn't come in, Christian left...if they lose Benoit as well, four moderate/pretty big losses will add up to a very big loss for the company, regardless of how 'valuable' each one is individually. Personally, I'd love Benoit to go, because at the moment he's not able to be the best wrestler in the world. On 'form', Christopher Daniels has been a better wrestler this year than Christopher Benoit has. That won't change if Benoit stays. He's won the Title, he's main evented Mania...he doesn't have anything to prove in the WWE now. Maybe he thinks he has something to prove elsewhere.

Guest *KNK*
Um...could Benoit really make more money working for ROH than for TNA or going overseas?

TNA would pay much more since Panda > Cary.

Japan would triple the amount ROH would. The discussion is , would Benoit's paycheck be worth it for ROH?

Guest wildpegasus

One thing that may play a factor in this decision is steroids. If Benoit escapes the WWE than he could concievably cut down on his dosage (that is of course assuming he is on the roids) and save himself some health problems. It would help him in the ring too as some weight loss should make him a little bit more mobile and quicker.

Remember, Benoit is 38 now and steroids are not something you want to be taking your whole life.

Benoit has gotten bigger and bigger in the WWE. Even more than he was in 2002 if memory serves correct. The pressure wouldn't be as high in the indies as it would be in the WWE to be bigger than life. In Japan he might feel more pressured since there are more heavies there but still I can't see the pressure being as high.

Guest SavageRulz
But _why_ Benoit left WCW for the WWE wasn't because WWE had higher ratings, or because WWE offered him more money, or because the buyrates were bigger, or because of the marketing.  I have never heard that from him, and I didn't hear it from him at the time.  He left because he was unhappy.  He wasn't unhappy because they weren't paying him enough.  He wasn't unhappy because the ratings or buyrates were low.  He was unhappy because no matter how hard he worked, there were guys who were pushed ahead of him who didn't work nearly as hard.  He hated the politics.  He hated not having a purpose.  He hated getting jerked around.  He hated the fake promises.  He hated the backstage atmosphere.

To be honest, the reasons you named for him leaving WCW could be the very same reasons he leaves WWE.

And you're basing that on what now?

I don't think any of us here have any clue as to how much Benoit loves pro wrestling and to what length he's willing to sacrifice his body for it.

I'll guess that more ROH fans have already seen Benoit live than have seen Kobashi live. That was the big lure of Kobashi; watching him live for the first time ever. Chances are most ROH fans have seen Benoit live.

So? So what if they've seen him every week on free TV for forever? Despite the novelty of seeing Kobashi wrestle a match in the states, I believe that, if promoted right, a match between former WWE World Champion Chris Benoit and American Dragon could draw and / or sell more DVDs than Kobashi vs. Joe.

Guest Leelee

I don't think any of us here have any clue as to how much Benoit loves pro wrestling and to what length he's willing to sacrifice his body for it.

Just my opinion, none of us really know.

But, I just don't see a viable reason for him to willingly leave WWE, and go to a lesser promotion that would probably give him far less money. And it's not like WWE has treated him poorly, from the booking aspect.

Guest *KNK*

Just my opinion, none of us really know.

But, I just don't see a viable reason for him to willingly leave WWE, and go to a lesser promotion that would probably give him far less money. And it's not like WWE has treated him poorly, from the booking aspect.

He's being booked nearly identical now as he was in WCW in the last year. Up and Down the card, mainly stuck in the upper mid-card with an occasional brush with the main event. (I'm refering to Benoit's place in the final months with WCW). Morale is equally low in WWE right now although the company isn't in dire straits just yet.

Fozzy's pretty popular in the UK, I know that much.

Not really, no. The majority of Fozzy fansa are wrestling fans and they only play small venues. They don't bother the charts or get any coverage outside of the rare Kerrang quarter page taking the piss out Jericho.

Guest SavageRulz

If he goes to TNA it woulld be great for TNA no doubt, but is it really likely that he would do it? If you look at his situation he is still a worthwhile in ring performer but why shouldn't the WWE offer him less money?

He's not going to get that main event push that he had with the World title again, his stock probably has dropped since they last gave him a contract, and he realistically shouldn't have a huge amount of time left in his career. Maybe another 5 years or so?

If he was to leave the WWE he could probably make just as much money as he'd get in this new deal by working Japan, and/or TNA. With a family, and at the end of his does he really want to be spending time out in Japan? Does he really want the lack of security that a TNA job would bring? Should he really care at this point about creative freedom and working how he wants when he's not about to go leaving any new legacy right now anyway?

I would be shocked if he's not with the WWE beyond his current contract.

Not really, no. The majority of Fozzy fansa are wrestling fans and they only play small venues. They don't bother the charts or get any coverage outside of the rare Kerrang quarter page taking the piss out Jericho.

True.

Fozzy are a wrestling in-joke more than anything else.

Ah. I was just going under the impression that their sold out shows meant they were somewhat popular. I didn't really mean charts wise.

Guest *KNK*

Ah. I was just going under the impression that their sold out shows meant they were somewhat popular. I didn't really mean charts wise.

It's not hard to sell out small clubs, It's not like Fozzy is selling out arenas. I'm sure Jericho is having more fun with Fozzy and I'm sure he's making something off it.

Guest SavageRulz
WCW probably offered him more money than the WWE plus a run with the title, Benoit was still unhappy there and left when he got the chance.  The question is whether or not Benoit is unhappy in the WWE.

The difference there though is that WCW had booked him badly and misused him for some time and left him languishing in the undercard of a promotion that had an audience quite happy to stomach in ring performance over mic skills.

In the WWE he's probably been booked better than his all round talent really deserves when you look at the style of the promotion and the fanbase they've always tried to play to. I can't think of anyone Vince has booked as a World Champion who's as generic and uninspiring on the mic. Actually, there's a question for everyone. Is there one? I'm struggling here to find one.

Some people might say Sid, but he was damned believable in his character.

Bret wasn't actually that good on the mic, always surprises me when people say he was, but he was probably marginally better than Benoit, maybe?

Kane. There, Kane was World Champion for a day. Is he better on the mic than Benoit?