TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Coffey

AJ Styles

Guest Coffey

First off, here's a couple of quotes from the TNA roster thread about AJ:

Styles can be entertaining at times. He's also very spotty and can't talk for shit. I still don't understand why he's the poster child for TNA. It just seems like someone else could be better in the "man of TNA" role. His finisher is too contrieved and he botches his signature spots all the time. I think he's good for TNA because of the X-Division but I'm a bigger fan of wrestlers like Samoa Joe and James Gibson than I am of AJ Styles or Amazing Red. I don't need a lot of high-flying moves...I'd rather just have innovative moves. The Styles Clash provides that even if I (and others) think it's too contrieved (just like the Canadian Destroyer).

AJ is a fairly average worker, but due to the nature of his strengths, many fans believe him to be some super worker. The good thing is, psychology can be improved. He has a lot of in-ring charisma, even though he has no mic skills to speak of. His fans often tend to be very defensive too

AJ Styles- Can't talk, real spotty and his springboard reverse DDT almost never seems to be a little botched. I can see why he's the posterchild, because his in-ring work is everything that WWE's is not.

AJ Styles He's the face of the company and regardless of his faults he earned it. Look he's not as good as some people want to make him out to be but he's still good and the fans love him. I thought he character was much more interesting as cocky heel young lion though and I'd like to him go down that route again with a manager along the lines of a Cyrus perhaps?

styles6ob.jpg

It seems as if people, or at least several individuals, are on the bubble as far as AJ in concerned. So, here's a couple of questions that I want to propose to you:

1. Do you think AJ Styles is a good worker?

a. Does he have good psychology?

b. Good selling?

c. Do you think he blows a lot of spots?

2. Do you think AJ Styles is the ideal poster child for TNA, excluding his devotion to the company?

a. Is there anyone better? If so, who?

3. Do you think AJ Styles is charismatic?

a. In ring charisma, crowd involvement

b. Out of ring charisma, promos.

4. What's the best AJ Styles match you've seen, not just limited to TNA?

5. Do you think that AJ Styles has the "tools" to be a top-drawing money maker?

b. Good selling?

TNA was very smart in the way they have pushed AJ Styles by having him work with wrestlers who can make their opponets look good as in the case with Jerry Lynn and Christopher Daniels.

2. Do you think AJ Styles is the ideal poster child for TNA, excluding his devotion to the company?

AJ Styles is a good choice for the poster child of the company as he is a home grown talent if you will. If TNA wants to promote its self as different from WWE then it must push the X Division as its main draw instead of going with the main event of Jeff Jarrett vs transitional champion jobber 9348572984. If the main event was to be the main draw then having a wrestler with a cult following could work so any former ECW champion could work.

AJ Styles weakness is his interview and promo skills which are nonexistent just like everybody else in the company. With the way Tenay and West call AJ Styles matches there will always be a pop for the trademark moves.

Basically anything with Jerry Lynn, Daniels, or Kid Kash. And his matches with Abyss was surprising good. From NWA Wildside I did enjoy his title match against Rick Michaels and David Young. The NWA 53rd Anniversary show against Daniels was the best match of the show but that isnt saying much since the whole show was shit. I have seen a few 3PW matches that AJ Styles had with Kid Kash and Ron Killings that were entertaining.

AJ Styles needs help in his promo skills but that can be fixed with a manager. AJ Styles does have what it takes to be the #1 wrestler of the company but its up to the "championship committee" to make him look good and give him opponets that can hide his weakness and make his strengths look godly.

Guest JMA

b. Good selling?

1. Yes, and he's going to keep getting better. I don't think he's even reached his prime yet.

a. I'd say he has good psychology. Not great, but better than average.

b. He sells well enough, but high-flyers do tend to forget that a body part is hurt. The guy's a hell of a bumper, though.

c. No.

2. Easily.

a. Not right now.

3: That depends. I'll explain below.

a. Easily. The crowd is always into his matches. Every move counts (in the eyes of the fans) with AJ.

b. Not really. He needs work here.

I don't want to narrow down all of his matches so I'm going to skip this one. I may answer it later, though.

Yes. The fans love him and he has exciting matches. He's rightfully seen as the "poster child" of TNA. He's also very marketable and isn't a backstage cancer.

((ASIDE: Coffey, you're making some damn fine threads, my friend.))

b. Good selling?

a. In a sense. He has the same kind of psychology that, say, Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels possess that make it so that, even though it may ruin the flow of the match and make little sense, it makes you pop. AJ is an entertainer in the ring, first and foremost, and this likely comes from the fact that he didn't care for wrestling much until his late teens when he started thinking about training for it (I do believe this is when he started training, as I know his potential basketball career was cut short in high school/college with a knee injury). Unless you're a lifelong fan, you're not going to get a lot of the small elements of psychology that matter a lot (subtle working, so to speak). He can pop a crowd without having to do many insane spots anymore, which is good, and when he decides to flip out and be INTENSE? He does it good. So yeah, he's good at a certain form of psychology, and that's drawing a crowd into a match.

b. Short-term (ie. individual selling of moves)? Yes. Better than a lot of other people, and I'd say right up there with RVD's short-term selling (since, you know, Van Dam makes even the simplest of DDT's look like DEATH). Long-term? Pfft, no. Not that I've seen, anyway. But that can easily be worked upon (and I'm also willing to bet that the original word from management about the X-Division matches being mostly spotty still stands for many of the workers).

c. I haven't seen a blown spot in a Styles match that was his fault in a couple years, honestly. When he does come close to blowing a spot, he covers it up fairly well by either stopping what he's doing and selling it like he meant to do that way, or trying to hit it as best as he can. The only big blown spot I can even remember involving Styles was the Styles Clash '03, but that was mostly Kazarian's fault for, you know, tucking his head IN instead of leaning it OUT.

Excluding his devotion to the company? Yes and no. It's his devotion to the company, much like Sting's to WCW and Tommy Dreamer's to ECW, that makes him the poster child, really. TNA knows that AJ won't be going anywhere else because the touring schedule for TNA is good (ie. non-existent) and the pay is better than he'd be making anywhere else right now. That, and whenever TNA needs somebody to step up to the main event quick? It's usually AJ that's called upon, since he's so over with the crowd that he could go on a month-long losing streak to jobbers, even, and then win a match against, say, Monte Brown and it would be credible. Also, AJ is the TNA posterchild because he embodies everything that makes TNA different than WWE: he's a relatively young guy (mid 20's at the oldest, I do believe) who is incredibly athletic, very quick, amazingly death-defying offense, and has an innovative moveset.

a. If not AJ, I'd say the TNA posterchild would have to be Samoa Joe, considering he's the future of the company and all.

a. Yes. The man pulls a crowd into him just by throwing a punch (which, though they are weak, still pops a crowd). He builds drama for his matches by bumping his ass off, and makes his opponent always, ALWAYS seem like they have a chance of winning, even when he's squashing a jobber. His movements are solid, and he gets the crowd involved in his matches by simply being intense with some minor showboating.

b. During his heel run in 2002? Hell yes. I loved his promo's back then, especially the one about what he said to Ricky Steamboat. "Ricky Steamboat came up to me in the back and said 'kid, one day, you're gonna be great.' And I said 'Ricky? I'm ALREADY great. I'm going to be the GREATEST.' Jerry Lynn, you're in the Path of Greatness. MOVE." Such a great promo. Does his Southern accent hinder his promo's? Yeah, a little bit. Was he likely coached during those promo's? Of course. But why can't he be coached now to do promo's? Outside of his '02 heel run, though, his promo's are pretty lame.

I'd have to say one of the matches with LowKi in Ring of Honor. I do believe the event was "Honor Invades Boston" sometime in '02, but I remember the match simply because of a SICK double-pump brainbuster AJ gave Ki, and the fact that most of the best spots in the match were later copied for the Styles/Ki match on July 17th, 2002 in TNA (specifically the reversal of the running Ki Krusher into a DDT).

In all honesty? No, not really. He's TNA's equivalent of Sting, and unless he pulls a Sting and builds up a big match with some uber-heel in TNA over the course of a year? It's not likely he'll make TNA much money anymore. He's still great for the main event and deserving of a GOOD World title run where he's NOT overshadowed by his manager, and his reign lasts for MORE than 3 weeks, but I don't see him ever being TNA's top draw. I hope he can prove me wrong, though, because I'd love to see him do it.

Guest Coffey

You don't remember AJ blowning a spot the iMPACT! before Bound for Glory when he slipped off the ropes trying to do a springboard move in tennis shoes & jeans? That was what, three weeks ago?

I think he botches spots all the time. In fact, I think I've only seen him connect with the moonsault DDT one time. The Spiral Tap always looks sloppy. A lot of times he loses his grip when trying to go into the Styles Clash in different ways and he doesn't usually get all the way over when doing his dropkicksault. I also don't like the Pele Kick because it usually looks ridiculous.

I'll answer the questions now:

Do you think AJ Styles is a good worker?

Absolutely not. I think he brings a level of excitement to the ring. I think he's very good at making a crowd care and he's good at having innovative moves and spots that'll pop a crowd. That doesn't make him a good worker though, it makes him an indy wrestler. Compare him to someone like Misawa or even James Gibson. I don't think that Styles sucks, I think he's very athletic. I think he's talented. I certainly don't think he's a good worker though. I mean he's better than Carlito but I wouldn't put him in any "wrestler of the year" categories.

Does he have good psychology?

Eh, he can when he wants to, I guess. He just doesn't seem like he ever wants to. It's basically, take your offense, then hit mine. He's a good bumper which sometimes makes up for the fact that his offense doesn't make a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things. His offense doesn't really have a direction.

Good selling?

Not if the match goes more than eight minutes. As previously stated, he's a good bumper. That doesn't translate into being a good seller though. The majority of the guys in the X-Division suffer from this. It's like they think they can't have a fast-paced, high energy match if they have to sell a DDT or Clothesline.

Do you think he blows a lot of spots?

Yes, most definitely. He's almost as bad as Amazing Red. I think I covered this pretty well with my first couple of sentences. This question is really the main reason why I wanted to make the thread. I was actually surprised to see people saying "no" already.

Do you think AJ Styles is the ideal poster child for TNA, excluding his devotion to the company?

As of right now, he probably is. Of course, if TNA are focusing on the heavyweights then he shouldn't be. Of course, they don't really have anyone in the heavyweights that they could get behind...except for maybe Samoa Joe.

Is there anyone better? If so, who?

I think Christopher Daniels would be better, of course, he's a heel right now so it wouldn't really work. If Jerry Lynn was still around, I'd say him too.

Do you think Styles is charismatic?

Uh, no. Unless you consider doing that "open arms" taunt as being charismatic. Or if looking at the crowd and yelling after hitting a spot is charismatic. Or if slapping your own chest several times is charismatic. He can't talk so he has to get himself over on ringwork alone. In that regard, I guess he's done a good job. TNA has been behind him the whole time but he's still been over the whole time.

In ring charisma, crowd involvement

Well, like I said, the crowd seems to care. He's one of the most over workers on the roster if no the most over. So, the fanbase is there. They aren't dead during his matches. They seem to care.

Out of ring charisma, promos

He can't talk, never could, heel promos included. Blame it on his southern draw or the fact that he seem uncomfortable...but I can't see how anyone can defend him. It's like saying RVD is a good talker.

What's the best AJ Styles match you've seen, not just limited to TNA?

He's had several good matches in TNA. Although not really recently. I really liked his match with Kaz Hayashi at the G1 Climax tournament too. I'd probably say that. It was good for what it was.

Do you think that AJ Styles has the "tools" to be a top-drawing money maker?

No, I don't. I think he's a big name for the company but unless TNA becomes all about and only about the X-Division, then he'll always look like a midcarder. Hell, even when TNA gave him a main event push it didn't seem/feel right. He's "homegrown" as pointed out but I don't really think that matters. He can't talk. He can't sell real well. He botches a lot of spots. He's small, which shouldn't matter but it does. I don't really think that TNA, at this time, really have anyone that could be a big draw.

No. If he's a good worker, Austin Aries is very good, and Chris Daniels is great. Something I could never legitimize. But just as an example, that's just how those 2 compare to Styles.

Psychology is a broad term, that covers a lot. Overall, no. His match pacing isn't very good at all. He seems to be able to work in learned spots, which is a positive. Doesn't seem to be able to smartly structure matches/stories.

b. Good selling?

Overall, no. He doesn't long-term sell very well, nor does he put over body part damage very well. As far as the actual selling of blows and moves, he's alright.

Not from what I've seen. This doesn't really matter, as no competent wrestler should be blowing a lot of spots anyway. Edit - Just to expand on this, if a guy is blowing lots of difficult moves, it's as simple as not using those moves anymore. A guy can be a good worker without using tons of high-risk offense. In AJ's case, his execution for certain moves can be sketchy at times, but not enough to be a big deal in my eyes. He's certainly not at a Kotaro Suzuki level of botchiness (teehee).

Sure why not. Like I said before, he gives the illusion of being a great worker, and a lot of fans (including the group of fans that TNA needs to start drawing) can't tell the difference. He's athletic and good looking as well. That's how TNA needs to differentiate itself from the WWE. TNA wrestlers are "young, athletic guys" who unlike the WWE, are actually allowed to show their athleticism in the ring. So Styles fit in perfectly.

He is charismatic in the ring. It's not unlike Chris Benoit. They both bring intensity that is easily apparent and that gets over with the fans. He also looks like an athlete through and through, which helps out.

No. :)

Joe vs. Styles from Sacrifice. I'm sure he's had a couple others that are in the vicinity, I just like this one the most. If Styles is in with someone who can pace things and set the groundwork, it makes for a very good match. If he improves his selling, it would make for great matches.

No. But not many people do. He has the tools to become a Benoit level player, where he's really over with the crowd, just not enough to ever be THE guy. Granted, he is THE guy in TNA, but TNA is still a niche. If they ever broke out into the mainstream, I don't think AJ could carry the company.

You don't remember AJ blowning a spot the iMPACT! before Bound for Glory when he slipped off the ropes trying to do a springboard move in tennis shoes & jeans? That was what, three weeks ago?

Yes, but that wasn't during a match, and in his defence doing that sort of thing in tennis shoes would be quite different from doing in wrestling boots like he's used to.

I think he botches spots all the time. In fact, I think I've only seen him connect with the moonsault DDT one time.

I've seen plenty of him in TNA and ROH and off the top of my head can't remember a time he's not hit it. He's occassionally not quite been perfectly lined up for it, but he's still adjusted and hit it.

Compare him to someone like Misawa

I'm sorry, but if you judge if someone is a good worker by comparing them to freaking Misawa, that gives you, what, about five good workers in the history of the world!? :huh:

Yes. He gets me excited in his matches and he makes me care about he result and he makes me willing to pay to see him. What more does he need to do?

a. Does he have good psychology?/b. Good selling?

I'd say it's good enough, but certainly not great. Better than most X guys though, and he has improved a lot recently in my eyes, probably thanks to working with Daniels and Joe.

Yes he is, for same reasons everyone else has put. He's the opposite to what the WWE presents which is what TNA need to be trying to get across.

He must be charismatic in the ring, as God knows his promo's aren't what got him over ;) He doesn't need to be able to talk though, so I don't see it as a big problem for him.

vs Joe at ROH War of the Wire. But that's probably because I watched it earlier today. Ask me again tomorrow and I'd probably give you a different answer :P

Not yet. All the real top guys can talk, which is something he's not as good at as would be needed for a big money guy. But I'd imagine that he'd be able to be taught how do it at a reasonable standard, and as Laz said, some of his heel promo's were not bad at all.

AJ Styles is a above average worker that either gets called a god in the ring or horrible in the ring, which are both not true.

There are very few non-entertaining AJ Styles matches out there(not counting those 2-3 minute matches noone cares about). I personally couldnt give a fuck if he doesn't get all the way over on a dropsault. If the matches are good consistantly then he is a consistantly good worker.

Nope, he's exciting, but at best a 7/10.

Not really. Uses some of his moveset when it shouldn't be used at all. Can't really pace his matches too well either.

b. Good selling?

Not great when it would pertain to his usage of moves, because some things that he does simply shouldn't be done when that part of his body has been worked on. When it comes to selling one particular move the right way, he can do that.

I don't think that he blows a lot of spots, but I think that he should at least be able to execute one of his trademark moves correctly half the time. I've never actually seen him hit that springboard reverse DDT without re-positioning of the other worker.

He is, as I said, the polar opposite of WWE so he should be.

Yes, Ron "the Truth" Killings.

In the ring, but as I've said, his recent promos suck.

I can't name a particular one, but his best matches that I've seen were with Low-Ki, Joe and Daniels.

Not really, but I don't think that many people in the business do. He needs to improve his mic skills, and he is really small. If TNA makes it big, it would be extremely hard for him to be the face of TNA with his size.

Guest Leelee

Top-drawing? No. If you're going to be the big star, match quality is one of the last things that matters. The few times I've heard him speak, he sounds like a dumb hick with zero speaking skills. Not to say he doesn't belong as one of the big names in TNA, currently.

Yes. He's in constantly entertaining matches, which is the most important thing.

Short-term yes, long-term isn't as good

b. Good selling?

Same as above. Great at selling moves and intensity, but he has to ignore it later on to keep the match entertaining.

He doesn't seem to blow many, and he definitely blows less than most people with a moveset as spotty as his.

There are only two better choices to be the face of the company as of now: Ron Killings and Samoa Joe. Joe would be my personal choice. One of my friends, who thinks wrestling is downright retarded, knows who Samoa Joe is after seeing that six-man tag at the primetime Impact. Joe is the best choice, with AJ and Truth after him.

Definitely, as other have said, Benoit-style charisma. You care about him based on nothing but his ringwork.

He could use some work promo-wise, but that can be improved upon. Either give him a mouthpiece or some speaking lessons.

The one I enjoyed the most was the 4-way match for the X Division belt at the very beginning of TNA. I loved that freaking match. The Ironman match at Bound For Glory was a lot of fun too. Haven't seen nearly enough of AJ to make a real definitive pick, though.

At the level TNA is at right now, yes. But if it becomes legit WWE competition, he'd probably have to become a mid-level superstar, at that Benoit level or so. He'd always be a threat, and could be a perfectly good World Champ or X Champ, but not THE guy who becomes the face of the promotion. Joe could do this, however.

Guest SavageRulz

Of course. I think he's a good worker, but not an exceptional one, nor do I think he's an all time great in any way. But for what he does, he does it very well. To suggest he's not a "good" worker, which personally I would qualify as someone who's a couple of notches above the average, competent in most areas, and good to excepional in others.

[a. Does he have good psychology?

I think he's much under rated in this department. He's more than just a spot monkey. Don't get me wrong, there are workers in TNA who are better in ring, and trust me there's quite a few of them, but Styles psychology has come on leaps and bounds and when in with the right opponent he can tell a story in that ring.

b. Good selling?

Again, I think he's under rated. Lets be honest, how many wrestlers genuinely play on a particular injury throughout the entirety of a match and remember every shot they've taken thus far, and what state each body part should be in? Barely any. Watch his selling of the arm injury in the Ultimate X against Williams and Sabin. It's not neccessarily his strong point, nowhere near it, but he's competent enough in this dept.

No more so than anyone else who wrestles that high risk high spot style. In fact compared to a lot of them I think he does pretty well where that's concerned. Everyone, even the best, will botch spots. I don't think AJ does it enough for it to be a problem.

Not at all, never in a million years. He does not make a credible world champion, ever, and his mic work and lack of out of ring charisma, plus his diminutive size, means that he simply is not the all round package, or even a big enough percentage of that package, that certain other workers in TNA are.

The ring purists will hate me for saying it but..... Monty Brown. Charisma gets you over in this business 10 times faster than in ring talent. I don't neccessarily agree with it, but it's the truth. How long did it take Duane Johnson to win a world title? How long did it take Chris Benoit? There's a reason for that. Monty appeals to the casual fans, and with the right opponents can have matches worthy of PPV main events. He also has a lot more credibility than AJ Styles could ever have. Who would you rather fight? I'd take AJ any day of the week. Beyond that AMW always have been poster boys for the company and their overness with the existing TNA fanbase is often overlooked. Appeal to new fans? It'll take a while, but for the existing guys then AMW are about right.

If you're looking at X division guys that can carry the company then both Chris Sabin and Petey Williams are better than AJ. Both in ring, and on the mic.

Overall I'd sit on the fence here, because....

Can't say that he's not. He connects with the fans and does at least have some form of ring presnce. It may not be Goldberg or Brockberg type ring presence, but it's a presence nonetheless.

Good God no. This is one thing, along with his size, that will always stop him ever being a draw

The second weekly TNA PPV. AJ Styles Vs Jerry Lynn Vs Low Ki Vs Psicosis in a round robin match to crown the first ever X Division champion. Excellent stuff, Lynn provided the psychology and the glue to hold the match together while Low Ki and Styles got to do what they did best at that point, and to be fair Psicosis played his part too. It was a decent concept for a match and all round it's hard to fault it. I'd still probably put it in my top 5 all time TNA matches, definitely in my all time top 10

No for the reasons I've already touched upon. Firstly his mic work. Much like Chris Benoit, AJ just can't get you caring or interested in what he's doing until he gets into that ring. Once he does, fine, but beforehand he just doesn't make you pay attention and care. His mic work is average at best, and in reality pretty wooden and generic. Then there's his size. I remember his first NWA World title run. Here's a new champion struggling for credibiliy and you have Vince Russo standing next to him as his manager every week. I mean, you're looking at the screen and you're seeing supposedly the greatest wrestler in the world, he's world champion after all, and next to him you've got an out of shape slothenly New Yorker and you're looking at it and thinking, "my god, that manager guy, the one that's not a wrestler, he's bigger, looks tougher, I reckon he could take AJ in a fight ya know". You also have to look at the longevity career wise, and again the fact that his mic work is so bad. If Monty Brown suffered an injury tomorrow that limited him in the ring, would it really make any difference to his career? When Kurt Angle did, could he still be entertaining? AJ could break something tomorrow that would limit him big time, and how would he survive? My belief is that he couldn't re-work his style to compensate, and he certainly isn't good enough on the mic to maintain a long career once he's broken down.

Its one of those things where of course, you've seen better workers, but he has to rank in the top group, as I haven't seen a bad Styles match as yet.

The Pele kick would lead me to believe no, but he can have at times. Thing is, he's not in TNA to have psychology, he's in TNA to be a high-flying, innovative poster-child.

b. Good selling?

No, but once again, TNA are counting on their fans to look at his moves and go 'aww, preeeety', rather that 'but shouldn't his leg be hurting like hell right about now?'

I've seen him blow a couple, but hell, every guy blows a couple.

If I recall, before the Spike debut TNA did a test with some people and found that AJ was the most marketable character - young, good looking, athletic - he's the captain of the TNA Football team, which is why he wears the X Gold. Only problem is, he lacks the charisma to be the captain of the football team.

Joe is the obvious choice, but its one of those things where his look is so different, so fresh, that its going to take fans some getting used to a massive Samoan guy that can do a plancha. Daniels is getting on in age, and really won't be around for more than another five years at this pace, if that long. Of course, then there's Monty, but his sometimes out-there promos and finishing move that could catch on, could not, make him a gamble. All that in mind, Styles is the man right this minute.

In some ways, yes.

Yes.

No. He needs a manager, even a girl, to get him over even further.

I'm really not sure. I need to get my hands on some more ROH or PWG, because I'm told that AJ-Joe from PWG is great, but the AJ-Joe match and the AJ-Daniels-Joe Three-Way were both awesome.

Not all the tools, but certainly a lot. Once AJ can let some more emotion out, gain a character, he can go to the next level. I think it could take a feud with someone the calibre of Raven to do that, not just a wrestling feud, an emotional, angry, 'I want to kill somebody' feud. Just like Raven developed Tommy Dreamer, I think someone as smart as Raven needs to grab AJ and pull him up a rung in the charisma and character department. There's no reason for fans to care about AJ yet. He's just a great athlete and that's all. And for a business that relies on stories, AJ needs one.

I think Styles is a good worker overall. He has a few things that keep him from being more than good, but just because he’s not great that doesn’t mean he’s not good, because he is. He’s smart, because he knows what the TNA audience wants and he delivers, and that’s what you’re meant to do; give the audience what they want.

For his high impact style of match, AJ has great psychology. AJ can keep the crowd going and popping through those matches, and knows how to get them cheering him and not lose interest. For a ‘standard’ match he’s ok, but I don’t think he could do a ‘standard’ match that went very long.

b. Good selling?

It’s ok/good. I find it can be a little hit and miss at times, but it never gets bad enough for me that I’m shaking my head. He’s better at Shawn Michaels, though, when it comes to doing a logical adrenaline burst spot during a match.

He can, but that isn’t because he’s bad but because he does spots that have a high risk of being blown. Does it make him bad because he keeps doing those spots? Possibly, but he hits far more than he blows.

In some ways, yes, because TNA should be everything that WWE isn’t, which is athletic and exciting wrestling, even if, to some people, it’s ‘wrong’ or ‘not wrestling’.

Christopher Daniels, because he has more charisma, can talk better, and is more grounded than AJ. Again, that is not a knock on AJ, because AJ is good to great, but Daniels is just a better figurehead.

I think Styles is like Benoit, in that his charisma evolves during a match. The people cheer Styles when he comes out, but they don’t really get into him big until he’s doing his match. On his own, Styles is a little unassuming, and that is something he needs to work out, but during a match he is one of the most charismatic in the company.

See above. The TNA fans get more into AJ’s matches than all but a few TNA guys. They go rabid for AJ during his matches, and isn’t simply because he’s doing high risk moves. They get into the guy, the like the guy when he’s wrestling and you cannot deny that.

Same with Benoit, in that he’s not that hot of a talker. However, that is down to the character, because if Styles was a cocky heel then I know he could be great.

Right now, I’d go with the three-way main event from Unbreakable. Side note from that match is that the last five minutes had to be called on the fly because of a time cue mistake.

If you’re looking at this from a WWE perspective, then no, but this isn’t WWE its TNA and TNA have to be something different to have a real chance to succeed. AJ can be a top-drawing money maker for TNA if the trademark for TNA is exciting wrestling.

Preface: I've only been watching TNA for a month or so now, since the Spike TV move, and I've seen a few old matches...so my experience is somewhat limited.

b. Good selling?

a. Not overly. From what I've seen, his matches rely more on being visually impressive than having any story to them. Styles has a great repetoire of trademark moves, and everything he hits has an extra flair to it. In that respect, he reminds me of the Rock, and if you know me you know that's a big compliment. In fact, I'd say that they're very similar. Rock wasn't exactly the deepest storyteller, either, but he was good at what he did and he looked good doing it. And so does AJ.

b. What I've seen is mostly Styles dominating, but when he has been on the defensive it's been pretty convincing. He makes you believe he's hurt and he makes you feel his pain. As an aside, I feel too many people look at this question and read it as "if he takes a single-arm DDT, does he hold his head, arm, or shoulder?" That's not selling...that's psychology. Selling in wrestling is the closest thing to truly acting, and AJ does it well.

c. He's always looked sharp to me. I did see him blow the springboard elbow in tennis shoes, but he was in tennis shoes. His moonsault DDT and pele generally look good, and the Clash is hard to blow. As for the Spiral Tap, I don't care for that move anyway, but it is kind of messy. But the bulk of his offense is crisp, and as I said, done with a flair that makes him fun to watch.

2. Do you think AJ Styles is the ideal poster child for TNA, excluding his devotion to the company? Is there anyone better? If so, who?

For what it's worth, when making an outline, it's not proper to have an a without a b. :D

I think AJ Styles is the PERFECT poster child for this company. He is the opposite of what WWE wants their workers to be. The E has moved toward a slower, homogenized style, and AJ works fast and different. He's not unique within TNA, but in my estimation, he is the best at that style, and he is insanely over with the TNA fanbase. And as I can attest to, he's good at making new fans. He's got a good look, as well, and he seems smart enough, so if they need him for live aqppearances he's good to go. He's an ambassador for the company. Carrying the X-Title is the perfect cap to that.

a. Unbelievably so. AJ gets the crowd up from the first time he lifts his hood to the moment his hand is raised. He's energetic, and he gets the fans up. As far as in-ring, all I can do is restate that his ring work is perfectly suited to thrilling a crowd, and he goes the extra mile to add a flourish to it, while still keeping it crisp. The top WWE guys -- Benoit, Angle, Michaels, et al. -- all have the same quality.

b. I've heard two promos and I thought both were good. Apparently he's bad on the stick. I also JUST saw a commercial for TNA (good timing) where AJ described his style. He seemed eloquent and articulate. So I say yes.

Again, I'm very limited here, but my favorite is the Ultimate X with he, Sabin, and Williams. Awesome spots and very dramatic, not necessarily a psychological masterpiece, but great selling and awesome drama.

Absolutely. In TNA, that is. In WWE he'd never get to the top. In TNA, he IS the new alternative. He's everything this company needs to win fans from WWE. Anyone looking for a fast-paced, exciting match will see AJ as an embodiment of that. The TNA fans have accepted him as savior, and that gives him credibility. It seems like he'll always be over. That means they can push him anytime, and push him hard, and the fans will accept it. Good for AJ. Good for TNA.

Guest Coffey

Here's another point that I wanted to make. AJ Styles has won the NWA Heavyweight title on more than one occasion. However, to me, he's still seen as a midcarder. Especially when he's carrying around the X-Division title. Now, will the X-Division title always be seen as "second tier" or could someone like Samoa Joe add the prestige to the title that it needs? Obviously AJ Styles didn't get it done. Neither did Christopher Daniels. They're good champions but they're midcard champions.

On top of that how many people think that AJ Styles actually made a good heavyweight champion?

Here's another point that I wanted to make. AJ Styles has won the NWA Heavyweight title on more than one occasion. However, to me, he's still seen as a midcarder. Especially when he's carrying around the X-Division title. Now, will the X-Division title always be seen as "second tier" or could someone like Samoa Joe add the prestige to the title that it needs? Obviously AJ Styles didn't get it done. Neither did Christopher Daniels. They're good champions but they're midcard champions.

On top of that how many people think that AJ Styles actually made a good heavyweight champion?

That's odd, because I see AJ as the #1 babyface in the company, even if he isn't going for the Heavyweight belt. He also gets promoted a heckuva lot more than a Rhino or Raven, is protected quite well, beats up monsters like Abyss, Tenay and West gush all over him, he gets pyro while people like Raven/Rhino don't always, he gets put on in the last slot on the card often, etc.

I also see the X-Division title as very close to the World Title.

Edited by Fro

TNA has always said the X Division and Heavyweight titles are supposed to be seen as the same level, but as long as Jarrett is Heavyweight champ, that will never be the case because he won't feature it as such.

Here is something to think about. This sunday at Turning Point, realistically AJ vs Joe should go on last because it's the best match on paper, but Jarrett vs Rhino will probrably go on last. Now, the X Division title match went on last at the Sept PPV, but TNA didnt' have the SPike TV show then. Now that they have the national TV show, you can bet that the Heavyweight title match goes on last because Jarrett, who wields as much power in this company than at any other time before, will not be seen as a secondary player even though he is not a main event player in the eyes of many.

If TNA lets AJ/Joe go on last, kudos to them, but I doubt it. Message to the fans in Orlando, if Jarrett/Rhino goes on last, leave the building. Send a message. I'd like to think that would show Dixie Carter and Co. that Jarrett isn't right for the top spot.

I think the only person who was worn the NWA World Heavyweight title during the TNA era that did so better than AJ has been Killings. AJ's matches as World champion were very good (especially the ones with D'Lo Brown and LowKi), but TNA failed to book him as a STRONG champion both times. His first reign was overshadowed by having Vince Russo as a manager, and his second reign came during not only TNA's worst booking period (Duthtay > Dirty Dutch) but was also based entirely off of lucky roll-up wins (which was especially confusing considering he won the belt right after a WHITE HOT program with Abyss).

If AJ were to be given the Heavyweight gold again, and booked PROPERLY as a champion (ie. strong defenses, booked as the focal point of the scene, and maybe given a manager to help him speak and stay a face that DOESN'T overshadow him), I have no doubt in my mind that he'd be the best top guy in all of North America thanks to having an all-around GOOD package (he's better in the ring than anybody close the top belts on Raw or SmackDown, has a MUCH better look than Danielson, and having a babyface manager to help him through promo's that doesn't 100% overshadow him like Russo did would help him in the stick department).

Agree with Laz. No main eventer in TNA has been booked strongly except for Jarrett. Hell, no one in TNA has been booked that strong PERIOD. If TNA were to realize this and start booking their wrestlers in a strong, sensible, marketable way, they'd have more credible main eventers. As it is, AJ's (and Truth's, and Raven's) World Title reigns have flopped not because of him, but because of how he was handled. As for Christopher Daniels, sure, he wears a weird robe, but you just KNOW that he's not showing as much of the "Fallen Angel" character as he could be. If TNA were to cut him loose with it, giving ominously evil promos and such, he'd be a helluva character. They could have some entertaining stuff with that. Instead, Daniels is just your typical run-of-the-mill bad guy.

Edited by Magus