TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Ask Al: The THREAD~!

Al, when will you admit that 95+% of MLB is on steroids.

When doing so won't elicit howls of asterik hunters and groups of "my day was better" fans. I doubt the figure is that high, but I believe it is substantial. I also don't think it is the disaster that everyone makes it out to be.

Guest OSIcon

Obviously there is a lot of optimism for the Orioles pitching staff with Leo Mazzone on board, but realistically what do you think he can do for O's pitchers? Specifically guys like Bedard and Cabrera who have shown flashes of greatness but seemingly need to get over that final hump. Also, do you think they definitely need to sign a "top" free agent pitcher and if so, who would be a good fit?

Obviously there is a lot of optimism for the Orioles pitching staff with Leo Mazzone on board, but realistically what do you think he can do for O's pitchers?  Specifically guys like Bedard and Cabrera who have shown flashes of greatness but seemingly need to get over that final hump.  Also, do you think they definitely need to sign a "top" free agent pitcher and if so, who would be a good fit?

Mazzone brings a wealth of experience to the Orioles' staff. Whether he can benefit and how much, I don't know. I suspect a great deal of the Braves' pitching success is due to Andruw Jones shagging fly balls in center field. There's just no way to predict what will happen.

As for a top free agent pitcher, the only elite pitcher on the market is Roger Clemens, and I doubt he's leaving Houston.

Assuming Baldelli returns healthy and produces, do the Devil Rays have the stuff to compete for the WC next year, or are they still a bit rough around the edges? I'd really love to see the East have 4 or even all 5 teams be competitive, as it would make for great baseball.

Also, where do you see Jonathan Papelbon's role on the Sox staff next year? Will he be in the rotation or relieve with the occasional spot start?

Assuming Baldelli returns healthy and produces, do the Devil Rays have the stuff to compete for the WC next year, or are they still a bit rough around the edges?  I'd really love to see the East have 4 or even all 5 teams be competitive, as it would make for great baseball.

Also, where do you see Jonathan Papelbon's role on the Sox staff next year?  Will he be in the rotation or relieve with the occasional spot start?

The Devil Rays finished last in runs allowed this season. Given that there is not any prospects on the immediate horizon in AAA, I don't see them improving their staff to the point where they can compete, at least next year.

And I think Papelbon will have a long relief role next season, unless injuries take their toll on the starting staff.