TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cawthon777

Just Watched the Bret Hart DVD

How much has this DVD sold so far? I would expect it would sale the numbers that Flair's DVD did when it first dropped, but I haven't heard much. At FYE it was ranked as the number five best selling DVD.

Since Flair's DVD has matches AND killer promos, it rates just a little better than Bret's. Flair also has a better match selection as I was a little disappointed at Bret's selections, particularly the tag team matches on Disc 1.

I'd put Bret's DVD as a whole second to Flair's. I actually like the ECW DVD Feature better than Bret's, but the Bret DVD has better matches, so it gets the nod.

I'd say the Bret DVD might not have the choice selections that Flair's did but it does give a much better overall look at his career from beginning to end.

It's a tough call, so I'll say they are even.

I just find it funny that HBK tried to put over Bret as a true champion, yet Bret was downgrading how HBK won and how he felt HBK didn't deserve the title. Bret even stated he was greedy for respect and not money and was a reason why he wouldn't jump. When he came back all Bret did was state how Austin was the #1 wrestler in the world. I just thought I would throw this out there as perhaps Bret kind of started this whole pissing contest. Maybe HBK felt that since Bret kept putting him down as champion he wouldn't do the job back to Bret which started the whole problem to begin with. I even remember Bret taking potshots at HBK in wwf mag with his son Blade in 1996 and also in the Calgary columns about his stripper image ruining the wwf. I just felt this had to be said because this part of their rivalry is never brought up. I think this had to play a part with HBK's refusal to job to Bret at Mania 13 and also his comment about not doing the same for Bret around Survivor Series which made Bret really against jobbing to the guy. HBK has stated in his book that Bret wasn't a great wrestler, but a good wrestler. It's contradicting all of his ass kissing on Bret for his post Mania interview and yes I know there is a line of kayfabe on the show in terms of that, but he made it an issue to give props to Bret. Vince wanted to go onto storyline with Lawler and Diesel feuds, yet HBK brought the topic back to Bret's greatness.

I'd have to agree with you, as much as I like Bret, he did really start the whole thing. Bret was always a morale man and felt Shawn's character as a player wasn't the kind to be championship material especially when potrayed as the good guy, but that's because Bret was always about family and trying to keep the WWF meant for kids before it went to the dark side.

I was always bothered by Montreal because Vince insisted Bret job to his arch-nemesis in CN when he still had time left on his contract. It didn't have to happen, it was just Vince being a real douchebag so he can send Bret over to WCW as "damaged goods" after making him suffer a humilating loss.

I'm going to pick up my copy tomorrow at FYE. I really wish they came with the Hitman shades, but I suppose I wouldn't mind having a Hitman beanie. Its cold as fuck outside.

I just got the DVD and was watching the extras. Who would have known that Konnan of all people was the one who taught Bret how to do the Sharpshooter??

I also gotta say I'd love to see that Bret/Dynamite Stampede match in it's entirety. That looked insane. Especially that spot where Bret whipped Dynamite into the ropes and Dynamite flipped over and took a huge bounce off the ropes.

My thoughts on Bret's DVD:

- The main feature was very interesting, specially the recount of Bret's early years, but it felt kinda flat at parts IMO 'cause it was mostly stuff we've seen/heard before on previous interviews. I was expecting a bit more insight on his motives as to really why he didn't want to drop the Title at SSeries 97 and end all the speculation, and also why he didn't like dropping the Title at WMXII. Still, good feature, but coul've been way better with a little more "inside dirt" so to speak.

- The matches. I've stated before that I was disappointed on the match selection. I really wanted more rare gems than the ones they showed here, although the match with Steamboat is a great, nice addition and the Bam Bam match was good. The matches range from the truly classic (Slam 92, WMX, WMXIII, etc) to the somewhat-disappointing (vs Bulldogs - curfew??) to the what the...? (vs Nasties - its inclusion still baffles me.) I may be in the minority but that KOTR match vs Perfect I feel is better than the SSlam match. Against Hakushi I like the RAW match better, and I still don't see the appeal of the Diesel match, specially the tying-the-leg thingie that I felt was dumb on both guys' part. And I can finally see why Bret likes the Owen match in White Plains so much, as they sure looked like they were having fun in the ring. Very good indeed.

All in all, a terrific set, powered by many quality matches with only one glaring black dot in the Nasties tag match (it's not even the last Hart Foundation match, so why??) I'm sure it's gonna sell like crazy, and deservedly so.

Guest bigm350
Quick question:

Is there Bret commentary on some matches?

If so, which ones?

Nope.

Well, my friend didnt get the Hitman's DVD on Texas so....

I just found afe offers about a *WWE* Bret's DVD with -> Wrestling with Shadows DVD.

I also want to know if anyone got the WWE's exclusive offer with a Hitman magazine.

I got an offer to get that combo by +- $50 dlls.

You think its worthy?

Thanx.

My thoughts on Bret's DVD:

...All in all, a terrific set, powered by many quality matches with only one glaring black dot in the Nasties tag match (it's not even the last Hart Foundation match, so why??) I'm sure it's gonna sell like crazy, and deservedly so.

I think I read in some column a few years ago that Bret was fan of the Nasty Boys, i guess thats kinda of a homage from him to them...or something like that.

Maybe is like sending invitation to your party only for your friends and people YOU want to see at the party and not the *best* guys 'n gals.

I dunno.

I also want to know if anyone got the WWE's exclusive offer with a Hitman magazine.

You think its worthy?

I'm getting the special magazine pretty soon so I'll post wether I feel it's a good magazine or not. If it's in the same vein as the special Shawn Michaels mag they did a while back then it could be pretty decent.

$50 for the combo? I don't know. If you order thru WWE Shopzone you get the combo for approx. $26 plus shipping to wherever you are, and I have to believe there's no way in hell they'll charge $24 for S&H to Mexico, so that's probably your best bet (unless you can't order by credit card.)

Ese es mi consejo, mi cuate.

You think its worthy?

I'm getting the special magazine pretty soon so I'll post wether I feel it's a good magazine or not. If it's in the same vein as the special Shawn Michaels mag they did a while back then it could be pretty decent.

$50 for the combo? I don't know. If you order thru WWE Shopzone you get the combo for approx. $26 plus shipping to wherever you are, and I have to believe there's no way in hell they'll charge $24 for S&H to Mexico, so that's probably your best bet (unless you can't order by credit card.)

Ese es mi consejo, mi cuate.

I picked up the mag the other day. Its ok but pretty pricey at 6.99. The poster is ok. The mag has a pretty decent longish interview with Bret and a look at some of his best matches that are on the dvd. There is an article on Montreal of course, but they basically tried to stay in kayfabe and tell the story at the same time so it was kinda funny (vince was afraid bret would take his belt to WCW so he had ot make sure he would lose, it doesnt come out and say wrestling is scripted or anything) Another article on his family and early years, which is cool. Theres alot of cool pics in here as well, including many early shots of bret and anvil in the HF. His interview was the best part. He notes that he doesnt blame Goldberg for the concussion and feels bad about it cuz Bill is such a nice guy. Talks about wanting to do this dvd so the people would remember him and as a thank you to his long-time loyal fans He wanted to do it in 99 after owen died he talked to vince in calgary sitting on a park bench, but later on vince seems to forget about that part of the talk. and how he wasnt as bitter as many would think after that, it was more his sisters and owens wife, and how he warned vince about them wanting to sue and how he didnt want to seem like he was trying to get info from vince to use agaisnt him. very interesting

all in all, a nice companion to the dvd (which I havent seen yet so...)

Over the years I forgot how good of matches Mr. Perfect and Bret had in the early 90's. My last memory was of their match from WCW Uncensored, which was a giant letdown.

Have they released the the new "sound problem fixed" dvds yet? I saw the dvd at K-Mart yesterday for only 19.99, but didn't pick it up cuz I wasn't sure if it was a new fixed one probably was an original one. SO instead picked up Jake the Snake there for only 17.99. Kinda regretting not getting the Bret one due to wondering about the audio problem in one match.

Anyhow, anyone know the deal?

You know what they SHOULD have given away with the DVD on Shopzone?

A pair of Hitman Sunglasses like he used to give away.

I always wanted a pair of those.

Agreed, I used to have a pair back in the day (I bought them back when they used to have the "wwf warehouse" sale in CT)

Guest wildpegasus
I just got the DVD and was watching the extras. Who would have known that Konnan of all people was the one who taught Bret how to do the Sharpshooter??

I also gotta say I'd love to see that Bret/Dynamite Stampede match in it's entirety. That looked insane. Especially that spot where Bret whipped Dynamite into the ropes and Dynamite flipped over and took a huge bounce off the ropes.

That particular spot comes from a 2/3 fall

45 min match that ends when JR Foley rings the bell to save DK as Bret has him in the adominal stretch)

match Bret and Dynamite had in Stampede. They show the last 9 or 10 mins or so on the official Stampede tapes that Stampede put out a little while ago. They're commonly available on the net. It was a great match.

And Dynamite was insane in Stampede. Unbelievably so. I don't know if anyone has ever put their body through a harder physical test than DK did in Stampede. He paid the price though as he was already packing on the serious injuries in Stampede.

as I pointed out in the RAW thread, I bought this DVD with a gift card for $18 on monday, and of the Wrestler Sets I have (Foley/Rock/Hogan/Flair) it ranks up ahead of everything but Flair's. Honestly, the only flaw I have with the set is that The extras are pretty much all matches. Not that I dont want the matches, but the Flair and Hogan DVDs have other stuff like skits and segments which helped set up the matches, especially on the Flair set. I have some minor complaints about the matches included, but honestly whats on there is pretty solid. The only real omission that I can think of is the Bret/Flair match, which was mentioned in the feature. Im lucky enough to have that on a VHS tape so its not so bad for me.

Also, I should note, the only time I saw Bret wrestle a match live was 2 days after his concussion at Starcade, vs Chris Benoit at a Thunder taping.

Guest Wisdom

Has Hart/Michales from SS '97 appeared on any WWE DVDs yet?

Also quick fact question. I forgot who it was in the DVD said that Stu Hart was born in England and came to the US. Were they describing his "gimmick" or was that their version of his life? I thought he was born in Saskatoon?

'

Guest Wisdom

Has Hart/Michales from SS '97 appeared on any WWE DVDs yet?

Also quick fact question. I forgot who it was in the DVD said that Stu Hart was born in England and came to the US. Were they describing his "gimmick" or was that their version of his life? I thought he was born in Saskatoon?

'

Love the set, but my only problem with it would be the background music used during the feature because it freaking drwons out whoever's talking at the time. Especially when Bret was talking about Austin, I had to crank the volume up quite a bit just to hear him and Austin both.

My only complaint (besides having other matches chosen) was the handling of some matches. I mean for crying out loud, some of the matches didn't even have the isle entrances and just got right to the match. I mean was that really necessary? Also, I noticed for a couple of matches, the WWE logo was in the corner when they were using the classic WWF logo at the time while some other matches had the classic WWF logo used...you could tell this boxset was SO rushed, lol.

Other than that, great DVD set for my favorite of all-time. And just like everybody else, sitting here, crossing my fingers, hoping for From The Vault: Bret Hart.

My only complaint (besides having other matches chosen) was the handling of some matches. I mean for crying out loud, some of the matches didn't even have the isle entrances and just got right to the match. I mean was that really necessary? Also, I noticed for a couple of matches, the WWE logo was in the corner when they were using the classic WWF logo at the time while some other matches had the classic WWF logo used...you could tell this boxset was SO rushed, lol.

Other than that, great DVD set for my favorite of all-time. And just like everybody else, sitting here, crossing my fingers, hoping for From The Vault: Bret Hart.

The new logo being on there probably means that originalmatch didnt have a logo at the bottom. The WWF only started using logos at the bottom all the time in about 94(possibly before that)

Hey they put that stupid WW (no E in it, so apparantly its just World Wrestling) logo on ECW and WCW matches all the time

Guest Wrestling Icon

I have not see the dvd but will be buying it the first day it hits the UK market which is Jan 23rd. I have been waiting for this dvd for a while and must buy it. Is it better then the Warriors? Cause I really like that dvd.

I have not see the dvd but will be buying it the first day it hits the UK market which is Jan 23rd. I have been waiting for this dvd for a while and must buy it. Is it better then the Warriors? Cause I really like that dvd.

www.silvervision.co.uk it's out already, usually they send the DVDs out about a month before they hit the shops.