TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

The Impact of Eddy's Death on the WWE

Not to overstep any bounds here, but I think we should keep the other thread solely with reactions, and discussions about how he died. There's a whole other side to this story and maybe this thread is needed. If the mods deem otherwise, and they will decide to close it. I will definetely respect the decision.

There really are no words for this news. The WWE has lost one of its greatest stars, workers, and examples of what a wrestler should be in the ring (if not outside the ring). He will missed by his fans, his friends, and family.

But there is another side of the story, and that is a question I think we're all asking right now.

What is the WWE going to do now?

Now, any death of an active star is a big deal in its own way, but it's not everyday that you lose such a big star (ie Owen Hart), and it's even rarer when you someone that was supposed to carry a company (or brand in this case) just before they won a very big match (ie. David Von Erich)

Unlike either of those deaths, neither one came at such a tulmoltis time when so much stuff that was detrimental to the company was happening at once. Just some of these are.

- Austin walking out on the company, and all of the booking Chaos it caused

- Christain not signing another contract

- The announcing debacle on RAW

- Batista getting injured.

- The writing changes that are being discussed for Smackdown

And this is just the stuff we've seen on the surface. Now you're adding the death of a particpant in the main event to determine a World Champion after the last champion was put out of action. What's worse was that he was probably scheduled to win the world Title, which makes more of a David Von Erich II than we would like it to.

Now the discussion is what do you think is going to happen from here?

They are totally fucked. They should have an Eddie Memorial tournament for the belt now, and from there I don't know where they should go.

Even when one doesn't account for the sheer booking changes that are likely to occur, I have to believe that both Orton and Taker's directions will have to be changed somewhat. Having Randy bragging about killing legends and Taker supposedly returning from the dead would be in such poor taste right now, that something will have to change.

Other than that I don't know. There hasn't been a death that could so dramtically alter the future of a company like this in a long time.

They need a dependable guy to take the belt and keep them moving forward until they can right the ship. That's Chris Benoit. No one else on the roster is close to being in his position, except maybe Booker T, and I can't see them putting the belt on a heel.

I agree with CC. Vince would be stupid to let Benoit go at this critical juncture.

Guest thebigjig

But would Benoit accept the title?

I wouldn't even be surprised if this event caused Benoit to rethink his career in pro wrestling, period... and whether he would want to sign another contract, not out of more or less money, but because he wouldn't want to be involved in the business anymore.

I hope that is what they do (make Benoit the World Heavyweight Champion). I mean, after so much bad news on Smackdown, they need a reliable face to win the title and have a run with it for a while. You can't go and have a heel champion right now.

Build Chavo up as a serious wrestler and have him try to fill his spot if he's up to it. Just a thought.

Smackdown needs to be start being built around Benoit. He could easily be what Bret Hart was to the company in 92-94.

But don't you think Benoit feels he needs to sign a new contract now in respect to Eddie because Eddie wanted him to? Really the best thing to do now is to have Benoit or Mysterio become the World Champion. I'd have Benoit versus Mysterio versus Matt Hardy for the World Title, Benoit wins the belt and they pay respect to Eddie again in the ring. Benoit feuds with Booker T, Booker also wants World Title, Benoit beats Booker T at Armageddon. Then Benoit beats JBL at the Royal Rumble, then Benoit feuds either with Orton or Edge (he comes to SD! "to get the job done") and he faces one of them at WrestleMania. That's how I would book it.

But would Benoit accept the title?

I wouldn't even be surprised if this event caused Benoit to rethink his career in pro wrestling, period... and whether he would want to sign another contract, not out of more or less money, but because he wouldn't want to be involved in the business anymore.

I don't think so. Everything I've ver seen about Benoit shows that he's consumed with his craft. And, not to sound insensitive, but he's lost people he's been close to before (Pillman and Owen) and has managed to go on.

He may go to Japan to get away from things, but I don't think he quits wrestling altogether.

Guest [censored]

They are so fucked booking wise. If they throw the belt on Benoit then you scrap his program with Booker T, who with sharmell is very hot right now. I'm guessing you go through with normal Undertaker plans and do something with Orton, Booker T and Benoit together. Perhaps Edge comes over permenantly. They really are fucked though with Batista out and Eddie gone.

That was actually one of the first things I thought of when I heard of Eddie's death.

"Wow, Smackdown is really FUBAR now."

And if Benoit leaves and goes to TNA...good lord.

I really think Benoit will retire after this, after doing all that he can do in the wrestling business, I think this tragedy will ultimately lead to him retiring.

Benoit at this point is un-signed so far as we know.

This could have major repercussions as for the future of the brand split. Especially if Benoit does not re-sign...Smackdown is in major trouble now.

I agree with the Benoit needs to win the title sentiments. Then maybe a #1 contender's tourney culminating at Survivor Series. You pretty much need to hit the reset button at this point, but because you can't continue the current SD ME scene without Eddie.

On Raw... Kerwin White... Just get rid of it. He's Chavo Guerrero, Jr. Damn it.

You know what's kind of sad? How Dave and the other sites said they talked to people in WWE to confirm Eddie's death.

Has WWE sunk so low people would question if they faked a wrestlers death?

This is my thought on how Eddie's passing will effect the company.

Benoit won't resign with WWE. I think this will be a huge warning sign to him...his idol is crippled and his best friend died because of the life of being a pro-wrestler. Obviously, he is still passionate about the business, and the lighter work schedule (and the fact that it is closer to home being that he lives in Atlanta) makes TNA look like a much better environment for him, he gets to spend more time with his family. As far as money is concerned, even if he is getting paid less he can make the every now and then appearance over in Japan. And I really don't see him as the type of guy who would have blown through all the money he made in his career.

I say the World Champion should go to JBL, as much as it kills me to admit it. He's the best heel on SD and the roster is mighty weak to begin with. Have him kill time with a continuation of his feud with Rey Mysterio, and as soon as RVD is cleared to wrestle again have him return to Smackdown. Yeah, I know he was traded to Raw, but its been such a long time no one would notice.

You know what's kind of sad? How Dave and the other sites said they talked to people in WWE to confirm Eddie's death.

It's standard procedure in the media. You don't want to leave yourself open to ridicule (at best) or a lawsuit (at worst).

Guest *KNK*

Confirmation was set with the credible local reports in Minnesota who broke the story, Dave and PWTorch like were getting witness confirmation and additional pieces of the puzzle.

I don't think anyone was honestly questioning WWE's honesty here.

I really think Benoit will retire after this, after doing all that he can do in the wrestling business, I think this tragedy will ultimately lead to him retiring.

Honestly, I can see this happening. Eddie was in his late 30s, and he is leaving behind a wife and 3 daughters that are going to go through adolesence without their father, and being in that siuation personally it something that is going to be very tough for them, no matter how you slice it.

As far as Benoit goes, just what is going through his mind right now is the question. He just lost one of his best friends in the industry he works with as suddenly as this. For certain he is not in the best of moods right now, and this could outright kill his desire to Wrestle.

Not to mention that he is basically already a 20 year veteran of the ring wars, Benoit is past his prime, physically (escpecially after the neck surgery) and he know this. Everytime he goes into the ring, he takes a risk, the risk that he may never come home to his children that are not even 6 years old yet. After all of this he may not want to do that them or to his wife.

This may be it for Benoit, if he wins the title, he may just hold it to Wrestlemania and put over someone huge (make them for good, huge) in the match.

To a certain extent, since SD is now so messed up in terms of main eventers, I could see them trying to renegotiate with Jericho again, being that he left on good terms and more or less is taking a break from wrestling.

This is the worst wrestling death by far. The Owen thing was more shocking and disturbing, but it really didn't have a long term impact on the shows since he was mainly fooling around as The Blue Blazer and wasn't in a notable role. The Bulldog death upset me personally but he was out of the spotlight for years.

But this? Horrible. Terrible. Eddie was in my view THE reason to watch Smackdown for most of the 2002-2005 period. In fact that run from roughly when he came back to feud with RVD till now is one of the best in history. I second the thought that RVD should simply be sent back to Smackdown...forget the draft at this point, Smackdown needs some guys. Either that or just send Edge over full time.

I'd just sign Benoit to whatever he'd like to get by for now, be it a 3 month extension or whatever. And yes they need to put the title on him in some sort of Eddie Memorial match. Look, you can't go with a heel like Orton or JBL at this point...it'd be too saddening for the crowd. Besides, with Orton if he won the title after one opponent was seriously injured and his other opponent DIED I think fans would hate him forever (and not in a heel sort of way).

How is Edge's health and when do will they have him use the money-in-da-bank contract? To honor Guerrero, I think WWE should have a supershow joint venture Raw/Smackdown tourny on Monday night with Rey Mysterio vs Chavo or Beniot in the finals.

Guest [censored]

I would go with one of two options. #1) I think making JBL Champion makes sense. He's not in a major angle and his heel character makes an ideal transitional champion until they can come up with something longterm which involves getting a time frame on Batista.

However what I would do is simply move HBK over to smackdown and put the belt on him. He's still the most over face on the company and SD desperately needs him. He can hold the title until Wrestlemania where he loses it to either, Orton or Batista. In the mean time there are feuds with JBL & Booker T, with Benoit being in the picture as his friend who also happens to want the title.