TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Barbed Wire Match announced for Turning Point

From tnawrestling.com:

TOTAL ANNIHILATION: FIRST-EVER TNA BARBED WIRE MATCH TO TAKE PLACE AT TURNING POINT

"The Homicidal, Genocidal, Suicidal" Sabu vs. "The Monster" Abyss

TNAwrestling.com has learned that this Saturday night on "iMPACT!" on SpikeTV, management will officially announce that the first-ever TNA barbed wire match will take place on Sunday, December 11 at the "Turning Point" Pay-Per-View pitting Sabu against Abyss.

In recent months, the two stars have attempted to decimate each other - first at September's "Unbreakable", then "Bound For Glory" during the Monster's Ball 2, and then at last Sunday's "Genesis". With each melee, the brutality has increased to the point where the dangerous barbed wire was brought into play in their "No Disqualification" match.

However, the arena of warfare will become even more barbaric on Sunday, December 11 at "Turning Point" when Abyss and Sabu face off. Barbed wire matches are extremely bloody, and no doubt this is Sabu's favorite pain game. The "Homicidal, Genocidal, Suicidal" star may have been slammed into the barbed wire at "Genesis" , but he's looking forward to this violent playground against Abyss at "Turning Point". After all, no other TNA star has more experience with the barbed wire than Sabu!

If there's a kryptonite to Abyss' superhuman aggression, it comes in the form of the barbed wire. Simply put, Abyss may be a master of every weapon known to professional wrestling, but he's shown fear for this new weapon. Jim Mitchell claims Abyss isn't fazed by Sabu's hardcore razor wire, but fans have seen otherwise in recent weeks. Now, if Abyss wants to finally end his ongoing war with Sabu, he's got to do it on Sabu's bloody terms.

Check back to TNAwrestling.com in the upcoming weeks for more information on TNA's first-ever barbed wire match on December 11 at "Turning Point" as Sabu faces Abyss! More matches will be announced for the Pay-Per-View starting this Saturday on "iMPACT!" on SpikeTV

I wonder if they'll intertwine the cables with barbed wire or if they'll remove them completeley and go with only barbed wire.

Either way, Abyss embraces crazy hardcore stuff like tacks and staples and Sabu is, well, Sabu. I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty brutal. I do like how they've developed the story that Abyss is afraid of the wire and sells it like it's kryptonite to him.

I LOVE this feud.

Abyss is REALLY the best big man in the business today. And Sabu is well... Sabu. He can still go.

Add some X-Matches with at least 6 of Joe/Daniels/AJ/Petey/Bentley/Sabin/Aries/Strong/Shelley/Dutt

Add a Sharky win on the Pre-Show

and a Christian Cage match and ill be ALL over this PPV.

A feud based on brutality. i like Abyss being scared of barbed wire and not anything else. Shows his weakness.

And it puts Sabu over in the long run because although Abyss' one fear will be common knowledge, he'd be the only one crazy/hardcore enough to use it to his advantage. It's subtleties like that, which have come out with no promo time whatsoever, that make this feud so much better than Abyss/Hardy, which was really just "I like to jump from high places vs I like to put people through tables."

Guest JMA

I agree that the fear of barbed wire is a good element in this feud. It kind of reminds me of how Frankenstein's Monster was afraid of fire.

A feud based on brutality. i like Abyss being scared of barbed wire and not anything else. Shows his weakness.

And it puts Sabu over in the long run because although Abyss' one fear will be common knowledge, he'd be the only one crazy/hardcore enough to use it to his advantage. It's subtleties like that, which have come out with no promo time whatsoever, that make this feud so much better than Abyss/Hardy, which was really just "I like to jump from high places vs I like to put people through tables."

look at the brightside.

a) it didnt involve a chick.

b) it was a feud, not in the main event.

c) the feud lasted for awhile, instead of being dropped after 2 weeks.

100 times better than WWE, regardless of the competitors.

I wish it would be a no-rope, barbed-wire match, but it doesn't seem very viable for a PPV show which is on a strict time limit.

*crosses fingers*

Guest *KNK*
I wish it would be a no-rope, barbed-wire match, but it doesn't seem very viable for a PPV show which is on a strict time limit.

*crosses fingers*

I wonder if it opened the show, and they did some sort of backstage segment that lasts about 15 minutes, could they take off the barbwire and re-attach the ring ropes? How long would that take?

When I saw the RoH event War of the Wire live in Framingham (main event was Corino/Homicide in a No-Ropes Barbed Wire match), it took the ring crew (about 10 people in all) roughly 15-20 minutes to set up the barbed wire itself...and I'd imagine taking it down would take longer since unrolling it from the spool is much more simple than cutting it down and rolling it up back onto the spool. So we'd be looking towards a 30 or 45-minute wait for the barbed wire to get taken back down and then the ropes put back up.

Guest Bulwark

Bill Banks describing the match in the latest Bank Shot:

"TNA’s upcoming “Turning Point” Pay-Per-View on Sunday, December 11 is already taking shape, with some big matches announced this Saturday night on “iMPACT!” on SpikeTV at 11pm ET. Already announced is TNA’s first-ever Barbed Wire Match, pitting Sabu against Abyss. Unlike some other Barbed Wire matches you may have seen, this match will see the six-sided ring completely wrapped with the razor wire with some barbed-wire weapons thrown in – so it’s going to practically be impossible for Sabu or Abyss to avoid it. If you’re a fan of bloodshed and wrestling, this bout should certainly be an early Christmas present. It should be interesting to see if Jim Mitchell can get Abyss to overcome his fear of the razor wire before the big match."

Can't wait. I love barbed wire matches. :headbang:

Guest Coffey

I haven't been high on Sabu...probably ever. I tolerated him in ECW. I liked several of his high spots. He was a big name for that promotion. Like The Sandman & Raven, people associated Sabu with ECW. That being said, he's always been a garbage wrestler to me.

I like Abyss. I think he's the best "big man" in TNA. By far. It could be argued that he's the best big man active in North America today. I think he moves well. I like his gimmick. He can bump and sell. I think he could be a more than credible NWA Champion. Better than Jarrett. Better than Rhyno. Better than Styles.

As far as the Sabu/Abyss feud goes...well, I'm not real high on it. I'm not seeing the point. What is in it for Abyss? Sabu was a name in ECW. Even the hardcore ECW fans see him as a broken down garbage wrestler that doesn't bring anything to the table anymore. What can Abyss gain from this feud?

TNA are doing the whole Frankenstein thing with the barbed wire, as was pointed out earlier, and at least they're dropping little, subtle things like that throughout this feud. I'm just questioning why TNA think they need to have any "hardcore" stuff at all? I hated it when ROH did it with shitty ass Dan Maff and those other fucks. I certainly don't want to see TNA do it with someone that actually has talent, like Abyss.

I just don't understand. It's like, they're trying to "be different" and they're trying to "be an alternative" at the same time. They have the six-sided ring and Ultimate X and then they have Jarrett cutting promo's and crappy "hardcore" matches. It's like they're confused on what they want to do. They're trying to attract a lot of people that want to see a lot of different things. At least I assume that's what they're trying to do. The problem is, they're going to run-off some people when trying to branch out so much.

We've discussed it in the past but I think the majority of TNA's fanbase is compromised of internet wrestling fans. Fans that want to see workrate. Fans that can appreciate someone like Daniels, Styles or Joe. So, my question is, how many of those IWC members give two shits about a barbed wire match?

I don't know why this is happening. Yes, it's the next logical step in the Abyss/Sabu feud, but why did it get this far? I really don't see whom TNA is trying to appeal to. Are they trying to get back the old ECW fanbase? Contrary to popular belief, ECW wasn't all garbage matches. Is the entire point of this match to get the Orlando crowd to chant "holy shit" a couple of times in between their "Abyss...WHOA" and "Bentley Bounces?"

Coffey, you touched up on one of the fundamental problems that TNA has right now. Lack of direction. Where are they going with Abyss and Sabu? Why does Abyss fear the barbed wire? Not to go RRR on you, but this should be examined, at least a little. It would certainly get us to give at least 2 shits about them before they are cut to ribbons in a match.

Good point about the being different and being an alternative. Even during promos on TNA, they still duplicate what WWE does and have theme music interupt whoever is talking. That is just one example. They should not be doing backstage skits (also because they look terrible), they should be doing everything out in the ring or ringside area. If you are going to be different, really be different.

Also, now that they have a national slot and have expectations to Spike TV, they should stop pandering to the lockerroom and not worry about feelings. They feel they have to have Team Canada, AMW, Jeff Jarrett, 3 Live Kru, Kip James, etc on at least once a show or somehow feature them because they'll be mad if they don't get some air time because a lot of those guys were there from the get go or these guys were former WWF stars. This is going to kill them in the end. No one wants to pay to see these guys and none of them are going to become TV stars, especially Jarrett, no matter how many times they get on TV.

The shows are the same. TNA right now is playing in their comfort zone. The way the shows are now are the same as when they were on FSN and the internet. There is no feeling of the Spike show being different. It's the same ol, same ol. Christian is the only bright spot right about now, along with Samoa Joe and the X Division. After the brutal Genesis match and some corny promos, I've soured on Monty Brown. I'm not saying to kill his push. I'm just saying he's not hot anymore IMO.

Guest Leelee

Also, while the matches in this BRUTAL BLOODY KILL EACH OTHER DIVISION are nice brawls... there seems to be no point to them. This is where TNA really needs a secondary belt.

Also, while the matches in this BRUTAL BLOODY KILL EACH OTHER DIVISION are nice brawls... there seems to be no point to them.  This is where TNA really needs a secondary belt.

I agree.

I mean, is it that hard to try to convince NWA's higher ups to allow them to use the North American championship as well?

Yeah...it's been apparent TNA needs an equivalent of the Intercontinental/US titles for a while, for guys like Abyss, Sabu, etc who won't be moving up to the World Title scene anytime soon.

I don't necessarily agree about getting a midcard title. It's not the cure when all of this can be fixed with better booking. But I do agree with Coffey and Dangerous A that TNA's whole problem can be wrapped up in LACK OF DIRECTION. Both very good posts about stuff that I've just stopped caring enough to say.

Sabu and Abyss don't need a title to fight over, what they need is a REASON to be fighting each other. TNA tends to just throw guys against each other for no reason and justify it by saying "hey, it'll be a good match!" Unfortunately, that's not enough. AJ/Joe has an okay story behind it, although its weird that AJ would stand up to Joe on his archrival's (Daniels) behalf. Makes no sense. Monty's angle is alright, but he should be WAY more pissed off about being denied a title shot for nearly a year.

All you have to do is look at the gimmicks and the story writes itself most of the time. Sabu vs. Abyss. In one corner you have a psycho Arabian who's a founding father of the hardcore style. In the other corner you have an up-and-coming Frankenstein-like monster with James F'n Mitchell as his manager. Surely they can come up with more intriguing reasons for these two to fued with each other besides the lame "I don't like you" shit.

Wait a second....didn't Abyss beat Sabu already? Why would they have another match? I absolutely loathe that. There is no reason to have another match, is there? It's the same logical gap as what's happening in the HHH/Flair feud right now. Flair won cleanly. Why are they taking each other on in a Last Man Standing match? Same principle.

I don't see what is wrong with Sabu being a "garbage" wrestler. I mean SO WHAT? He fits the niche for it and is over as hell for doing what he does.

...and what's wrong with Sabu wanting to prove to Abyss that he can take him? Do you need a storyline about somebody raping another guy's mother in order to get into a football game? No, of course you don't. So why can't the spirit of competition be the reason for the majority of the matches, with the commentators selling the other stuff (rivalries, respect/disrespect between workers, etc.)?

While I agree that TNA should not go down an ultraviolent route, I disagree with saying that they shouldn't have any hardcore in it at all. Look at the height of the WWF's popularity during the Attitude era: they had a little bit of everything. Look at the height of WCW's popularity: they had a little bit of everything. Look at some of the most well-known feuds from the 1970's and 1980's in the NWA, and you'll see PLENTY of "hardcore" stuff (brawling, chairshots, etc.). There's a place for hardcore, so why not give the fans of that style their fix on the show and focus the rest of the card on what other fans want to see?

There's a balance that can be achieved here, and TNA is close to achieving it (at least in terms of in-ring action). All they need now is to get some workers that can REALLY lay on the psychology to counter the numerous spotmonkeys and the punch/kick workers they have, and we have a better roster than any promotion's had in years.

So I say keep the barbed wire match, but don't bring it out again for at LEAST another 18 months. Make the Barbed Wire match something to END feuds once and for all. Don't make it like Ultimate X has become, or like Six Sides of Steel is becoming, and just another gimmick match: make it special, meaningful.

Of course, I say this as a fan of garbage wrestling (at least the garbage wrestling that's more than just "I'll hit you with a weapon, you hit me with one, DDT, repeat" for 20 minutes), so what do I know?

...and what's wrong with Sabu wanting to prove to Abyss that he can take him? Do you need a storyline about somebody raping another guy's mother in order to get into a football game? No, of course you don't. So why can't the spirit of competition be the reason for the majority of the matches, with the commentators selling the other stuff (rivalries, respect/disrespect between workers, etc.)?

But there wasn't even a challenge set! I could let it slide if Sabu actually came out and said something about Abyss being scared of barbwire or something. But it just randomly happened, even after Abyss won their No DQ match. Spirit of competition is fine, but not in these type of matches. These type of matches should have something to them so they're somewhat meaningful instead of two guys killing themselves for no apparent reason.

I like garbage matches to a certain extent too. But I hate garbage for the sake of being garbage. To me, this is what that is.

I'm not advocating Russo-like angles with rape, cheating girlfriends, long-lost brothers, throwing lightning at each other, or "who's the real father?"

But also, there has to be more to it than spirit of competition. That can work for a few workers, but if they're trying to get over the fact that the competitors hate each other, some sort of story element has to be added. For example, I'd have had Mitchell attempt to manipulate Sabu into helping him take out one of Abyss' opponents (maybe an old ECWer like Raven), only to have Sabu spit in his face and viciously attack him. Since Abyss sees Mitchell as a father figure, that sets up a better fued than the bland one going on now. At least, in my opinion.

Agreed with everything else you said about the hardcore element.

Anyone think there is a chance for a Sinister Minister/Mitchell turn.....they might do it like they did the Fonzie turn on Taz at Barely Legal.

Guest Leelee
...and what's wrong with Sabu wanting to prove to Abyss that he can take him? Do you need a storyline about somebody raping another guy's mother in order to get into a football game? No, of course you don't.

You can't compare an actual sport to a worked match.

Not that there's anything wrong with the scenario you presented... but, TNA does this quite a bit too much.

I don't necessarily agree about getting a midcard title. It's not the cure when all of this can be fixed with better booking.

Booking is most important, of course. But, there's so many guys in TNA in that middle range... who we know are never getting a good shot at the Heavyweight title. Even if guys like Abyss are in a great feud... it doesn't build to anything afterward.

Anyone think there is a chance for a Sinister Minister/Mitchell turn.....they might do it like they did the Fonzie turn on Taz at Barely Legal.

Interesting thought.

From a logic perspective...how did Sabu know that Abyss was afraid of Barbed Wire in the first place? Mitchell would know that.

But...I think Mitchell is more interested in being Abyss's mouthpiece and trying to develop his character through his promos. The last two months he's been dropping in character backstory for Abyss.

I guess it could happen...but if it did the feud would continue for more months. It's been a good feud...but one that lasts 6 months instead of 4 would be a little much. I think Abyss moves on to Rhino after this. I think Sabu's role is to just make Abyss look like a monster. Which...he's done very well.