TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Hunt

Favorite Eddie match?

Guest Steve Hunt

I thought that I'd start this topic to discuss Eddie Guerrero and I put it here seeing as most of Eddie's matches are now in WWE's video archive.

My favorite Eddie match was by far, his match with Dean Malenko in ECW. I thought that it was a very good match that helped define both men and their futures.

Guest Kdo5

Right on! His last ECW match kicked ass. But I really down want to decide on it, because of all the amazing matches he has participated in, such as against Rey in WCW, forget what PPV and date since my brain is kind of dead at the moment. He's had great WWE matches as well, but I certainly found his match vs Dean a very classic match, one of ECW's very best. I remember some other matches of his, maybe in Japan, but he was under a different gimmick.

Anyone have a copy of the NoDQ match he had with Edge on Smackdown, with the MDK (murderdeathkill) sunset-flip powerbomb from the ladder?

Eddie's match versu Rey at HH 97. You can't beat a five star affair.

A lot of Eddie's Black Tiger work in NJPW from 93-95 was awesome, as well as his AAA work as part of Los Gringos Locos.

In WWE, my favorite Eddie match would probrably be his title win over Brock because of what it meant to him.

A review of that HH97 match from my short lived column at this site-

Eddie vs Rey

The HH 97 match is a classic but I don't think it's my favorite Eddie match since it seems like those two could have done pretty near the same matchup on a nightly basis back then. Not much emotional grab to it, you know?

My favorite Eddie match is the Brock match where he won the title. Followed closely by the RVD ladder match.

Guest LatinoHeat

RAW- May 27, 2002

Eddie Guerrero vs RVD - Ladder Match.

The Ladder match between Eddie Guerrero and Rob Van Dam came up next. AS predicted, the match got going with a fast and furious pace. The two brawled outside the ring where RVD hit a guillotine leg drop off the ring skirt. Guerrero retaliated by whipping RVD face first into the steel ladder at ringside. Guerrero and RVD continued to beat each other senseless. Suddenly, Chris Benoit began walking through the crowd! He was stopped by a security guard, but Benoit merely produced a ticket stub and began walking down to ringside!

Guerrero began to take the upper hand and he brought the ladder inside the ring and set it up beneath the hanging Intercontinental Championship. Guerrero got to the top of the ladder, but RVD got to the top turnbuckle, leapt and kicked the ladder out, causing Eddie to take a sick fall to the matt. RVD followed by slamming Guerrero on the ladder and hitting the Rolling Thunder. RVD then tried to climb the ladder, but Guerrero caught up to him and delivered a sunset flip from the top down to the mat. Eddie set up the ladder, but a fan dashed in and knocked it down before being taken out by security. Guerrero climbed the ladder once again and this time delivered a spectacular flip off the top onto RVD below!

RVD tried to counter soon after. He smashed Eddie's face into a steel chair then clocked him with a Van Daminator. RVD placed the ladder on Guerrero and launched a split legged moonsault onto the champ. RVD climbed the ladder, but Guerrero pulled him down and suplexed him into the ladder. Eddie then set the contraption up in the corner, but his plan worked against him as RVD Irish Whipped Eddie into the steel. RVD then monkey flipped Eddie right into the ladder, followed by another ladder-aided Rolling Thunder.

Guerrero kicked RVD off the ladder and tried to attack his opponent with a steel chair. RVD countered with another Van Daminator that put Eddie down on the mat. RVD set up the ladder on the side and tried to hit the Five Star Frog Splash off the top, but the ladder gave out. Guerrero then climbed the top turnbuckle, but he was sent crashing into the ring wall by RVD. Van Dam then climbed up and grabbed the hanging championship to win the match!

Lesnar vs Guerrero is my favorite match of any two wrestlers. I didn't even mind the Goldberg interference. Great match..great story told. End of story for me.

Guest Chrisly_2005

Without a doubt it would have to be the match he had with Rey at Halloween Havoc. That was one of the best matches of all time.

Just letting you guys know there's also a nice thread on this (along with favorite moments) on the General and Old School Wrestling folder. You can also contribute there if you haven't already.

Black Tiger vs Wild Pegasus (6/11/96) New Japan was the best Guerrero match I've seen. This was a bit better than the Rey match at Halloween Havoc, and one of the best NJ juniors matches I've ever seen. Guerrero also had a great match a day later vs. Liger in the finals of the super juniors tournament. That might even be my #2 Guerrero match.

Anyone have a copy of the NoDQ match he had with Edge on Smackdown, with the MDK (murderdeathkill) sunset-flip powerbomb from the ladder?

The series of matches in 2002 or 2003 made Edge look like a contender. Eddie Guerrero was one of the most professional wrestlers out there because after a series of PPV quality matches with him the opponet always looked good. Eddie MADE Malenko, Rey, Chavo, Edge, RVD, JBL amoung others.

My favorite Eddie matches:

vs. Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania XX

vs. Brock Lesnar at No Way Out 04

vs. Rey Mysterio at Halloween Havoc 97 / the WWE Championship match on SD in 04

vs. Chris Jericho at Superbrawl 7 / Fall Brawl 97

vs. Chris Benoit on Monday Nitro 10-20-97 / on RAW 3-12-2001 / Vengeance 2003

vs. RVD at Judgment Day 02 / Ladder Match on RAW

vs. Edge in the No DQ on SD

vs. Dean Malenko 2 out of 3 falls in ECW

vs. John Cena in the Parking Lot Brawl on SD

vs. Ultimo Dragon at Slamboree 98

vs. Chavo Guerrero at BaTB 98

vs. Shinjiro Ohtani at Starrcade 1995 - One of Eddie's finest matches ever (I just wish I could have seen more of his work as Black Tiger)

vs. Billy Kidman at Starrcade '98

/w Chavo vs. TWGTT - September 16, 2003 on SD

vs. Ric Flair at Hog Wild 96 - I know this match doesn't get a lot of praise, but I really liked it.

vs. HHH at the first Draft Lottery - Nothing really special, but I dug it.

But if I had to pick one, it would definitely be Kurt at WM. I loved that match.

Best Eddy match: vs. Rey at HH 97. A lot of people are saying that the newer matches are better because of the story told in the match, but this match is all about why both of them are so good at this time. Rey could play the perilous face about as good as anybody with or without a mask, and Eddy was the nastiest motherfucker alive out to kill poor Rey. The spots were endless and spot on. Simply put, it's an amazing match.

Favorite Eddy match: vs. Brock at NWO 2004. I was there for this. It'll be my fondest wrestling memory. Best match I've seen live (even though it's not nearly the best match I've ever seen) and the atmosphere, especially the pop at the end of the match is absolutely phenomenal.

Guest Nathan

Black Tiger vs. Wild Pegasus from the semi finals of the 1996 BOSJ.

In the US, probably the JBL match at Judgment Day.

Gotta agree with MisawaGQ. His best work was in Japan as Black Tiger. I bought a compilation tape of his Japan work. It blew me away. So many matches that he just did awesome in...

Do you remember where you bought that tape from?

Nevermind, I think I found it. http://www.highspots.com/www/stores_app/Br...68&item_id=3969 Sounds like a great tape. And only $10.

Edit: This site has the same tape for $4, wow.

http://ivpvideos.com/main/view_product.php...0fe6ff7df7fa929