TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

I don't understand why people want a system right away at launch. Aside from the aforementioned bugs and glitches, it is more expensive than it will be in usually six months time, and there are few games. I don't understand why so many people get sucked into the hype. It's not like there aren't plenty of good games to play or coming out for the systems you already have...

Your flaw is applying logic to how people spend their money. I mean, your argument is perfectly rational, but people are not.

There needs to be enough folks to be guinea pigs for us who patiently wait to enjoy a system with decent support.

Plus, if you feel loyalty towards a company/system you're willing to shell out a little more cash. I'd buy a really good Konami/Capcom game at release date. EA would have to practically give a game away for me to buy it.

What is so hard to understand? People want the games. I want to play DOA4, Quake IV, Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero. I want to play them now, not 6 months from now. I can afford to play them now.

OK, fair enough. If you can afford the system, fine. What annoys me more is people who really shouldn't be spending their money on video game systems, or people who whine because they can't scrape the money together to buy one. I've seen posts on different message boards begging people to help them get an Xbox 360. It's pathetic.

I agree with the comment about the graphics not being that big a leap either. Personally it feels to me like they haven't really scratched the surface of what the first Xbox can do...I mean, it's been out for what? Four years now? That's not all that long.

How does Nintendo justify bringing out the Revolution next year, btw? They couldn't have done a wireless remote-style controller with the Gamecube?

What is so hard to understand? People want the games. I want to play DOA4, Quake IV, Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero. I want to play them now, not 6 months from now. I can afford to play them now.

PS2 launched huge in Japan because people wanted FANTAVISION? Yeah right.

There's only been three killer apps at launch in the past few years:

1) Halo (and some would argue with that)

2) Lumines

3) Soul Calibur

Aside from those three, there haven't been any truly GREAT launch games since Super Mario 64.

Quake 4 is on the PC and has been for over a month. It's somewhere between okay and crappy.

Here, let me save you $60:

You beat the new Strogg leader, but the war isn't over and there's no closure at all

Ditto Call of Duty 2.

The only X360 game that approaches Killer App status would be PGR3, but it's too simulatorish to appeal to most people. And even though it's probably a great game, I doubt it's "sitting in line for 15 hours" great.

I agree there's not a single stand out title for 360 but there doesn't really have to be. A few good games makes it worthwhile.

PS2 launched with Tekken Tag Tournament, one of the best 3D fighters ever. I care about that a lot more than Lumines or PGR.

I don't have a new PC, so Quake IV and COD2 are new to me.

Guest GoJoe

Lumines and Soul Calibur weren't killer apps, great games at launch, no doubt but they in no way sold the system to the masses. Mario 64 and Halo are the only games that fit the killer app at launch criteria in the past 10 years, other games haven't even come close.

The reason people would want to a buy a launch system is simple......bragging rights.

Think about it...if you don't have any problems with yours, you're probably playing it right now. If you have a single problem, you're going to bitch as much as possible since you just spent several hundred bucks on a defective product.

The microtransactions girl?

there's no way 12% are defective. That would be a huge disaster for MS.

I am so sad at not getting a 360. I'm going have to look like, every day till I find one.

I just saw the DOA4 commercial. Very weird for a fighting commercial. Made the game look like a RPG or something.

Guest GoJoe
360 crashes explained?(  News )

by Ellie Gibson Ellie Gibson

About this game

25/11/2005 15:28

PlaySwapgames

Just days after the Xbox 360 launched in the US, the Internet has been awash with reports of consoles crashing or freezing - but it seems gamers themselves could be to blame for the problem.

According to reports, many Xbox 360 owners are attempting to hide the console's power supply unit out of sight, and placing it in areas where there is not enough ventilation as a result.

Just as when a PC crashes if it gets too hot and there's a risk of fire, the Xbox 360's PSU apparently then shuts down - which means you should be leaving plenty of space around the power pack so that air can circulate and the two built-in fans can do their job.

Advertisement

One Xbox 360 owner found a particularly inventive solution to the problem - as detailed on the GameSpot forum.

The poster, "goldeneyemaster", claims his Xbox 360 was crashing "like once every 20 minutes," so he suspended it in the air with a bit of string - which did the trick.

He also found that perching the PSU on a box worked just as well: "I left the console on for seven hours without crashing (I finally decided to turn it off)."

Microsoft declined to comment on whether or not it's definitely the PSU overheating which is causing the crashes, with a spokesperson simply telling us: "Because Xbox 360 has three powerful processing cores, customers may notice that it runs a bit warmer than other game consoles, but this heat output is well within the acceptable and safe range for a CE device of this type and has passed all applicable safety certifications.

"There is no systemic issue with Xbox 360. Each incident is unique and these customer inquiries are being handled on a case-by-case basis."

Rumours that future Xbox 360s will come bundled with a bit of string are completely made up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61903

Guest Leelee
The poster, "goldeneyemaster", claims his Xbox 360 was crashing "like once every 20 minutes," so he suspended it in the air with a bit of string - which did the trick.

Yes, this is what you should do with a $400 piece of equipment you've just purchased. :P

At least those ones that crash will turn back on... most people that I know personally who bought it had them crash and die within a few hours (a whole day at most) - and they won't turn back on.

*decides to stick to my non-crashing PS2 for a while longer*

haven't people learned that initial launches just aren't worth it? Sure, not ALL machines are shit, but why risk it? Next year, bugs will be worked out and the price will drop...I mean are we all at that point now where we just crave hot new videogame action so desperately that we can't just wait another year? What we have just isn't good enough anymore?

Guest Leelee

No. It's always been like that, and always will be. Certain people must always crave the new gadge that comes out.

I'll wait until the core drops to $200 next fall. Put my own HD in. And enjoy modded gaming bliss. :P

Rate my Collection? So they like feel better about themselves if people approve their game collection?

Yeah I know what you guys mean about people that NEED the new thing out there. I have this douche-bag in my spanish class that has to have everything new.

He bought an IPod. Then they came out with the 40GB one. He decided he had to have it. Then they came out with the mini and he bought it. Then he was talking in class the other day about how his IPod Nano was being delivered.

I asked him why he needed so many IPods and he said that he refused to be seen with something old and out of date.

Guest Brian

Brother in law's crashed. We're marching to Renton. Especially since I can't drive a block and Medina without being pulled over.