TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Xbox 360 Teams With CBS, MTV Networks, Paramount Pictures, Turner Broadcasting, UFC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment to Digitally Deliver TV Shows and Movies to Gamers.

Xbox 360 will become first gaming console to offer downloads of over 1,000 hours of TV shows such as CSI, Robot Chicken and South Park, and movies such as V for Vendetta and Nacho Libre.

REDMOND, Wash. — Nov. 6, 2006 — Microsoft Corp. today announced agreements with CBS, MTV Networks, Paramount Pictures, Turner Broadcasting System Inc. (TBS Inc.), Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment to bring an initial lineup of over 1,000 hours of hit TV shows and movies to Xbox 360™ gamers in the U.S. by the end of the year. Furthermore, Xbox 360 will be the first gaming console to bring standard and high-definition TV shows and movies via digital distribution over the Internet directly to the consumer.

Beginning Wednesday, November 22nd, on its first anniversary, Xbox 360 will be the first gaming console in history to provide high-definition TV shows and movies directly to gamers in their living rooms. Xbox 360 gamers will have access to the full-length TV shows as downloads to own and movies to rent via download from the Xbox Live® network, the worldwide leader in online distribution of high-definition gaming and entertainment content.

This announcement also brings with it several additional "firsts":

· For the first time, consumers will get an integrated gaming and entertainment experience on a gaming console that includes downloadable high-definition TV shows and movies. This new full-length content adds to the ever-expanding number of choices gamers have on their Xbox 360, whether they want to play games or play a movie on a disc or as a download in high definition or standard definition.

· For the first time CBS will deliver high-definition download-to-own TV shows including CSI, Jericho, Numb3rs, and remastered Star Trek episodes, gamers can buy them and watch them repeatedly.

· For the first time on any platform, NASCAR.COM will deliver download-to-own condensed versions of select NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series races from "Race Rewind".

· For the first time, the Ultimate Fighting Championship will make 50 of its most intense fights available for download as well as select episodes from the original season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series.

"This groundbreaking announcement is a win for everyone", said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. "It connects our partners with one of the most coveted audiences in entertainment today, and provides even greater value to our Xbox Live community, allowing them to enjoy the games and entertainment they want, when they want it."

The initial lineup of TV shows available for download to own and feature films available for download to rent will include a growing catalog of popular hits. Examples of content that will be available on the network by the end of year include the following:

· Robot Chicken and Aqua Teen Hunger Force from AdultSwim.

· CSI, Survivor, and Star Trek from CBS.

· Emmy and Peabody award-winning South Park and Chappelle's Show from COMEDY CENTRAL.

· The Real World and Pimp My Ride from MTV.

· Avatar: The Last Airbender and SpongeBob SquarePants from Nickelodeon.

· Skyland and The Nicktoons Network Animation Festival from Nicktoons Network

· M:i:III, Nacho Libre, and Jackass: The Movie from Paramount Pictures.

· Carpocalypse and Raising the Roofs from SpikeTV.

· Race Rewind provided by NASCAR.COM.

· Select episodes of the original season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series and the UFC: All Access shows from the UFC.

· Breaking Bonaduce and Hogan Knows Best from VH1

· The Matrix, Superman Returns, and Batman Forever from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Xbox 360 gamers can access Xbox Live Marketplace with a free Xbox Live Silver membership and a broadband connection. More information about the content available on Xbox Live Marketplace can be found at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/moviestv.htm.

Television shows will be sold in much the same way that Live Arcade games are. After purchasing them with Microsoft points, owners will begin downloading them and will own the show. That means they can delete it off of their hard drive and download it at a later date without having to pay for it again. Movies will be output in a rental format. This is necessary in part due to the limited space on an Xbox 360 hard drive and the massive size of an HD movie. The standard definition movie we were shown clocked in at 1.2 GB while the HD version of the same movie was nearly four times as big at 4.7 GB. Once you download a movie, you'll have 14 days to begin watching it. After you start watching it, you'll have 24 hours before the rental expires and the movie is "returned."

These HD downloads can get huge and we all know how slow Xbox Live can be when we're trying to download the newest demo or trailer. To help solve that problem, Microsoft is launching a new service to handle the video marketplace that is outside of the one currently used for the old marketplace. Also, you'll be able to begin watching videos before they are fully downloaded, something you can't do right now with trailers on Xbox 360. Still, no guarantees were made about speed. We were told that downloading an HD movie would be more of an "overnight type of thing" or something to be done in the background while playing a game.

I think its a great idea. It looks like Microsoft really put some thought in how they wanted to do this.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

They've got about six weeks until the weekend before Christmas to do a price drop, and it wouldn't be more than a $50 drop. But I don't think they're gonna do one until Spring/Summer 2007.

My girlfriend got me a HDDVD add on for the 360. Even though I already have a Toshiba player, she got me this for some reason.

I guess I can bring it along with me to my friends houses who have a 360. That way they will see how good it looks and maybe get one themselves.

Plus, the load time is SOOOO much quicker than the A1.

I wouldn't expect a price drop this year. Microsoft doesn't really need to drop the price this year, but if the price dropped, I think Hotbutter is right when he said it would be a small drop. If the price drop happens next year, I would assume it would be a bigger price drop. I still say you get one anyways, it really is a great system.

Has anyone downloaded any Movies/TV shows yet? I'm at a hotel right now, so I can't for some reason (something to do with the MTU or whatever it's called).

That starts tomorrow and I'm guessing that the downloads will be added in the morning, most likely pacific time.

Well it started the 22nd, which is today.

I just downloaded a Family Guy episode and it looks pretty good. I haven't checked out the HD stuff yet, but I will when I get home.

Guest Princess Leena

Has anyone played College Hoops 2K7 yet on this?

I have the XBox version, and color me disappointed. Virtually nothing changed from 2K6. :(

So I guess no one cares about the Halo 3 Trailer that I posted here.

Wow.

It was the one from E3 right? Saw it...well when E3 happen.

So I guess no one cares about the Halo 3 Trailer that I posted here.

Wow.

I find Halo one of the most overrated games in history. Just not my thing.

Guest Smues

Amazon.com ain't moving. I have a feeling by the time the page loads for me the $100 x-boxs will be all gone. Oh well, woulda been nice for a christmas present for someone.

Guest Smues

I still can't even get the page to load.

edit: but that's good that you said it's sold out cus now I don't have to bother waiting on thepage to load and show me it's gone.

Man I was at the get this deal verification screen with it connecting to go through and then I got the big fuck you.

Looks like it'll be my birthday until I get a system of any type.

I got every other deal though. Worked out well as with the $100 toy certificate, it made the bike + barbie "free" and Amazon Prime $20. Plus I still have $15 left over.

Guest Smues

I just saw like the dumbest commercial I've ever seen. I don't know what the hell was going on. I was sure it'd turn out to be a jeans commercial because they never make sense and tend to go on forever, but no it was for the Xbox 360. Bad Microsoft, bad.

Has anyone played College Hoops 2K7 yet on this?

I have the XBox version, and color me disappointed. Virtually nothing changed from 2K6. :(

No, I do like NBA 2K7 though. I don't usually bother with the college games.

A real question is, why don't they have a College Hockey game out?