TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

Who would you like in TNA

Not that TNA NEED to sign more wrestlers especially, considering roster size and TV time. But, regardless. Who, who currently isn't under contract to the WWE (please, no Shelton and Benoit mentions, eh?) and preferably is a realistic target, would you want to see in TNA? Reasons would be good too.

For me, TNA seems to be lacking in credible, non X Division size guys, below the main event. Size matters to the average fan, so they could do with some more 'bigger' guys. I'm not saying roided. Just, somebody who stand out a little more. Colt Cabana could be a future main eventer, given the right booking. They can easily bring him in as a comedy wrestler, of which he's probably the best in North America, to begin with. Then, once he gains popularity, build him up and give him a serious angle. He's proven he can work well with guys they have in the company already, like Aries. If they really wanted to, he could work in the X-Division for a while. He's versatile. And he can cut a promo, which TNA could do with some more.

On the same token, Claudio Castagnoli is pretty similiar. He looks like a wrestler, he's got a ready made gimmick, he can talk (well, in German, but whatever), he's versatile enough to work most of the guys on the roster, he's a great comedy wrestler, he's talented. And his theme song, assuming they can use it, owns you all. Plus, he works for ROH, which is an automatic ticket into TNA.

And thirdly, Charlie Haas. He's pretty much sure to come in anyway. I'm not keen on TNA bringing in countless WWE stars, but Haas would fit in brilliantly.

Guest Coffey

Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Colt Cabana, American Dragon, James Gibson, Homicide, Low Ki, El Generico, The Human Tornado, Delirious, Jay Lethal, Lacey, Julius Smokes & Prince Nana. Maybe Jimmy Rave.

This may be unusual but I wanted to suggest someone different...

I don't know how much time A-Train is spending in Japan, but I think TNA could do worse than bring him in. He always worked hard and would bring some size. The commentators could play up that he's been kicking ass in Japan and improved his skills (even if he hasn't).

Colt Cabana would be a good edition. If they let him talk, he might actually get over as well. However, since he can work and isn't one of the former WWF/Eer's, he'll be put in the workrate...er.. X Division and kept out of the personality...er..Heavyweight Division.

I'd do whatever it took to get the Rottweilers in as a group. I'm not sure what Low Ki did to burn his bridge there, but unless it was a criminal act I'd bring in Homicide, Ki, and Smokes and let them terrorize the X Division. Julius Smokes NEEDS to be on TV. He's just so good and charismatic. Just run chaotic and shit. I mean borderline getting kicked out of Universal Studios type shit. That's just me though.

If they are still looking for heavy's, I'd take a shot at Matt Morgan and maybe have a look at some of the All Japan gaijin like Jamal. I'd still want to avoid too much of a WWE Reject stigma in TNA since they already have plenty of that riff raff.

I'd also take AmDrag Bryan Danielson. Nothing but good can happen when you have a talent like that around. Sure, he is deemed "unmarketable", but to me, that might be why he works out. He's unique. No one is pastier or whiter except Brother Ray. Yes, that is my plea for them to get out into the sun. But also, Danielson brings an intensity in his matches that is different than the usual X Division fare and I feel he'd be the perfect guy to help educate the fans that the ground game can be just as exciting as the aerial one.

Above all of this, the number one person that TNA absolutely needs to acquire if they can is Paul Heyman. I'm not saying that because I'm this huge ECW mark or anything, but Paul Heyman knows how to properly promote pro wrestling. He involves you and is in touch with the outside world, unlike a lot of bookers who live in a pro wrestling bubble. Heyman has been writing OVW for the last few months, so he knows how to work within a one hour format. He would give the X Division guys the personalities they so desperately need right now, as well as give everyone else motivation for us (the fans) to give a shit about them. This cannot be understated, but Paul Heyman is the most important potential acquisition that TNA can make in the next year. More important than any wrestler available right now besides maybe The Rock.

End of this year. Here is the situation.

Stephanie McMahon and Brian Gerwitz want Heyman out and feel he isn't worth shit. Heyman is being paid $250,000 a year currently to write OVW TV. He will never be back on the writing team and will never have any of his ideas taken seriously because Steph and Gerwitz hate him so much. Vince, who is cost cutting, is going to have a hard time justifying paying someone so much to work in OVW. However, Vince also knows the potential threat Heyman can become if he goes to TNA and doesn't have to worry about the business end of wrestling. Vince is sort of in a pickle in that sense because he would essentially pay out of the ass just to keep a guy away from competition that is not doing well lately.

Heyman may not even want to do pro wrestling after his contract runs out. Word is Heyman may try to write in Hollywood or start up his own MMA organization or try to get in with a current one like UFC (which is the long shot of all his options, but he has fallen in love with MMA of late). Another problem Heyman may run into in TNA is the same one that he has in WWE in that he may not be given full creative control and will (not if) BUTT heads with Jeff Jarrett and probrably other members of their booking committee.

We'll soon see.

Paul Heyman

Homicide

American Dragon (I think these two should be brought in reliving their feud, a la how they wanted Punk vs. Joe to be the debut for both before Punk took the WWE deal)

Matt Morgan

Charlie Haas

Sean O'Haire

Guest Coffey

It would be awkward to see how the shows changed with Heyman there. It's like, if he was just another mind thrown in with D'Amore, Tenay, etc. it'd just be more of a clusterfuck with Jarrett getting sucked off. If it were all Heyman, we'd have good undercard matches and drama-laden main events, kinda like they try to do now only...well, better.

Of course, we'd probably also have to watch more garbage matches and Sabu run-ins.

How much different would it be with Heyman? Sabu, Raven, Dudleys, Rhino are already there.

The difference will be the quality execution of the stories.

Are you willing to take a potential dip in work rate for a better overall quality product? I am.

If some workrate has to be sacrificed in order to get guys over, then I think it's worth it.

Also, while a lot of the guys mentioned like Rhino, Raven, Team 3D, Sabu are ex ECW guys, it doesn't mean that Heyman necessarily has some allegiance to them and will push them to the top. He'd probrably throw them a bone and keep them on TV, but I'd like to think he's smart enough to recognize that the money isn't in pushing them, it's pushing the younger talent that hasn't even been given a chance to get over beyond in ring work.

AJ for sure. Although his interviews aren't strong, AJ has and unspoken "it" that works for him. Heyman would know what to do with that.

I could see Heyman making Joe a Taz-like project with a big chase and everything. Not sure what he'd exactly do with Daniels.

Guest Bulwark
Because when they come up with a shit idea, Heyman says "That's a shit idea."

Hearing that all day every day would get on anyones nerves.

Who TNA should bring in: Homicide, Colt Cabana, Low Ki, Charlie Haas, American Dragon, Jay Lethal, Jimmy Rave, Jack Evans.

Guest JMA

Paul Heyman

Jim Cornette

Spanky

Paul London

CM Punk

Shane Helms

Chris Jericho

Chris Benoit

Charlie Haas

No to Lethal and Rave. They'd just be generic and pointless X-jobbers.

I agree. Lethal still needs work and Rave would only work if they brought his Embassy gimmick in tow along with Prince Nana.

Now, Nana brought in as a manager would be the shit in TNA if you ask me.

Exactly. TNA needs to do little things to differentiate themselves from WWE. They already have Jim Mitchell. Nana and Julius Smokes would easily get over with the TNA crowd if they allowed them to be themselves.

Charlie Haas

Homicide

Matt Morgan

and to say something different, Hassan. Have him go by his real name and cut a shoot against Vince on his debut, he could be a credible uppermidcarder and is known and doesn't have the stigma as a reject as he was going to main event SummerSlam.

Ooh, I forgot Jack Evans. Totally agree. He would be the fucking man in the X-Division within 2 weeks of debuting, no doubt.

Homicide would be okay, but I'm not dying to see him like some. He'd got lost in the shuffle if down to size alone and we've seen with Aries and Shelley how much time is devoted to new guys sometimes. Besides that, Smokes bugs me. Like, a lot.

I'd like to see some local talent to New England in TNA, at least for one-off matches on PPV. Eddie Edwards, Doug Summers, and Joe Chece are preferred. Also, I think a Michael Sain vs. Abyss garbage brawl would be good, as they're my favorite big men in the business right now.

Paul Heyman - you guys already said what needed to be said, a MUST HAVE for TNA.

Mistico - TNA could use a guy like that to draw in the Mexican audience. Sadly he`s extremely hard to get. Oh well, I can dream...

Colt Cabana - entertainment at its best, the heavyweight division could use a guy like that.

Bryan Danielson - what Dangerous A said. He would really add something different to the X division.

Low Ki - yes, I do realise he apparently burnt his bridges with TNA but Ki has a unique style that really sets him apart from everybody else on tv right now.

Jack Evans - He can get over on his gimmick alone!

Homicide - The guy rocks, I have nothing else to add.

Teddy Hart - ok, yes I know Teddy`s an asshole but the guy is talanted, end of story.

Charlie Haas - some spice for the heavyweight divison.

Matt Morgan - every promotion needs a good big guy. Morgan has great potential.

I`d also like to see some one shot appearances to spread the feeling of TNA being "the place to be" and "unpredictable": Sandman, Terry Funk, Test, Rikishi, Scott Steiner (ok, more than one apperance here - I wanna see Joe kick his head in. Am I asking for too much? :) ) and Ultimo Dragon.

Seeing even one of those guys in TNA (again in some of the cases cases) = mark out moment for me.

That's a shame about Ki, because I thought some of his best work alongside his ROH stuff was in TNA. His style alterations between ROH and TNA were fairly minimal.

I thought that Homicide was going to come in and he and Konnan were going to split off from 4LK? Or was that just a rumor floating around?

God, Ultimo would make a lot of sense, considering he was effectively neutered in the E. A return to WCW-style Ultimo would be awesome to me. I could see him and Joe doing what the Joe/Liger match was *supposed* to be doing.

I totally concur about Danielson. He is about as unique as they come.

And yes, I'm a mark for him too but Shelton would be a big time addition. He could chase in both the Heavyweight and X divisions, as he has the strength, ability and agility to excel in both. It breaks my heart a little bit to see his talent utterly wasted in the E right now.

I thought that Homicide was going to come in and he and Konnan were going to split off from 4LK? Or was that just a rumor floating around?

Well it`s not exactly a rumour as Konnan confirmed it on a radio show some time ago. He said he has been pushing for Homicide to get signed and for them to be paired together. Nothing has been confirmed since then but it seems likely. Actually, I`m having my hopes up because two weeks ago on Impact Konnan mentioned something about having somebody to holla back at so I`m guessing he might have been referring to Homicide and his upcoming debut. I`m speculating here but it makes sense.

Guest [censored]

Not Paul Heyman, TNA should avoid him like the plague. I just don't like garbage wrestling and I don't like all the sex and violence he brings to the table. He is great at what he does, but he does is not what TNA wants to do and not what Spike TV wants to do. Bringing him in means good bye Scott D'Amore, Mike Tenay and Dixie Carter.

Cornette would be good if he can act like a professional.

I like Low Ki as a performer but if things I've heard about him are right (basically working stiff, injuring people and being a dick about it) then he should stay gone.

Teddy Hart - hell no, no room for someone like him in wrestling.

Brian Danielson is no right now I think and it has nothing to do with him. With only an hour there just isn't time to introduce X division guys like him. I think it would make more sense to get every drop out of the Daniels, Styles & Joe stuff and then once Joe is left standing, you then bring him in to Challenge Joe.

Matt Morgan - two problems 1) he would really have no credible challengers and would make all the other "big guys" look small. 2) and most importantly he's just not very good. I saw some of his Japan stuff and was not impressed at all. Hopefully he will develope over time but currently he would be a Sid with none of the charisma and attitude.

Ultimo Dragon - Excellent choice if he's still active. He would bring a different style and look to the X division as well as some much needed credibility. Having one of young Lions beat Ultimo at some point would be a good way to get them over.

I also like the idea of Colt Cabana and Homicide as they bring a different look and style in to go with what they have. I HATE the idea of putting any young guy anywhere near that lazy piece of crap Konan. Seriously is there a lazier worker in TNA right now? He hasn't been good for almost 10 years now.

Matt Morgan - two problems 1) he would really have no credible challengers and would make all the other "big guys" look small.  2) and most importantly he's just not very good.  I saw some of his Japan stuff and was not impressed at all.  Hopefully he will develope over time but currently he would be a Sid with none of the charisma and attitude.

Workrate I'll agree he's no great shakes, but Morgan has a very natural charisma to him, and is able to cut a killer promo when need be. Watch his OVW stuff for proof of that. His face-off promo with Cornette (the "Matt Morgan is the one to blame" promo from earlier in this year) was awesome.

Guest JMA

Matt Morgan would probably look like Andre the Giant in TNA. That could be both a plus and minus for the promotion. He's definitely someone they should consider, though.