TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Son of Sting

Awards of the half-year

Guest The Son of Sting

Best Comic - I would have to say Daredevil, havent been this hooked on a comic for a long time.

Runner up - Tangled Web has been very good and both ASM and Peter Parker. Im also a mark for Spider-Girl.

Best Writer - Kevin Smith/Bendis - cant pick between the two

Runner up - JMS

Best Artist - John Romita Jr, have always loved his art work. Really suits Spider-Man, only read a few issues of the Hulk and his work was great on that.

Runner up -To many to pick - Alex Maleev(Daredevil) Pat Lee (Transformers) Andy Kubert (Origin)

Best Mini series - Origin. I know some were disapointed with it but as a whole i loved it.

Runner up - Transformers. Hard putting this in as there have only been two issues, but they have both been fantastic.

Best individual issue - Really hard this one. Origin no2 is the one that springs to mind, might have to answer this one later.

Guest raptor

Best Comic - eXiles. Superhero comic perfection.

Runner-Up: Ultimate Spider-Man, Powers

Best Writer - Kevin Smith (Green Arrow/Bluntman and Chronic). Anyone who can make Green frickin'  Arrow a great read is an equally great writer.

Runner up - Judd Winick(eXiles)/Brian Bendis(Daredevil/Powers)

Best Artist - Sal Larroca (X-Treme X-Men). They way the X-Men should look. Beautiful and Iconic.

Runner up - Michael Avon Oeming (Powers)

Best Mini series - Wolverine/Hulk. Pretty blah as stand-alone issues, but in one sitting it's a killer read.

Runner up - Origin

Best individual issue - Punisher #6. Don't know if this is eligible (if not, throw Powers #20 in there), but it was a masterpiece. "Falling Down in New York" was robbed of an Eisner.

Runner-Up: Powers #20 or Buffy the Vampire Slayer #44

Here's some other categories:

Industry MVP (creator): Brian Michael Bendis. Face it, the man is a comic god. Let's list his series that consistentley kick @ss: Powers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Alias, Daredevil.

Runner-Up: Joe Quesada

Industry MVP (character): Spider-Man. Great comics, great movie.

Runner-Up: Wolverine

Best Moment: The Beak pummels The Beast (New X-Men). Heart wrenching melodrama at its finest. At least Morrison can write old Hank.

Runner-Up: Onomotopea (sp?) shoots Conner Hawk (Green Arrow)

Guest The Son of Sting

Best moment - The twist at the end of Origin no2

Runner up - The last page of Daredevil 32, Transformers 2 - Meagatron awakes.

Guest areacode212

Best comic: Catwoman. I explain why in the 5/22 Reviews thread.

Runners-up (because I'm an undecisive motherfucker): X-Force, Daredevil, Exiles, Queen & Country. Tangled Web has been excellent lately, too, but since it has a different creative team every story arc, it's not always consistent. Fables has great potential, but it's only had one issue so far.

Best writer: Greg Rucka (Detective Comics, Queen & Country)

Runners-up: Brian Michael Bendis (Alias, Daredevil, Powers), Peter Milligan (X-Force)

I used to like Kevin Smith (mainly for his View Askew comics), but he hasn't really done it for me lately. His attempts at humor in Green Arrow just aren't all that funny (unlike the stuff in the VA comics), and all the dialogue in GA is spoken in this annoying...voice.

Best artist: Darwyn Cooke (Catwoman, Tangled Web #11, and a great fill-in issue of X-Force). Terrific character designs and a great storyteller. His simple animated-series style may turn some people off, but every single panel he draws is a joy to look at. It looks like I'll be buying my first comic book hardcover in years when his Catwoman HC comes out in a couple of months.

Runner-up: I want to give this to Frank Quitely (New X-Men, The Authority), since I love his art, but he's too fucking slow. Sorry, man. Hmm, who to give this to? I'll go with Shawn Martinbrough, whose Detective Comics was really stylish and unique-looking, until he left. I'm still pissed over that.

Best mini-series: Deadline - it's not yet over, but I'm loving every page. I'm too lazy to explain all over again why I love it. Dig up the review thread where I praised the hell out of it...ah, forget it, I'll do it. Here:

http://thesmartmarks.com/cgi-bin....;t=4400

Runner-up: I dunno. Origin? Give me time, I can probably think of a better one

Best individual issue: It's probably unfair to put the various 9/11 books in here, but they deserve to be mentioned, notably the Alternative Press book 9/11 Emergency Relief, Marvel's Moment of Silence, and the two-volume set from DC, Dark Horse, et al.

I'll go with Tangled Web #11 ("Open All Night") and that Darwyn Cooke-drawn X-Force issue I mentioned above (the one focusing on U-Go-Girl and her family). Both were drawn by Darwyn Cooke (TW was also written by him). Coincidence?

Runners-up: Deadline #1, Fables #1, Catwoman #6

Best moment: Vanessa Fisk turns heel! (from some issue of Daredevil that I don't care to look up).

Runners-up: I dunno, most of Emma Frost's lines in Morrison's New X-Men were pretty classic.

Industry MVP: Joe Quesada. A lot of fans give him shit, but he is awesome.