TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: December

Virginia Tech just took a one point lead with one second left on Duke to cap a 12-0 run.

Duke hits a near half court shot to win, unreal.

I see 0-4 UC Davis beat Stanford in basketball this time. I really thought they were going to avenge the other UC Davis loss, but I guess it wasn't to be. I really feel bad for Bored. Must be an awesome year to be a UC Davis fan though.

Good thing these games aren't televised, I didn't even realize they were playing today. I can't believe this. They returned essentially the same team this year that went to the tournament. They weren't very good last year but they certainly weren't bad. Losses to UC Irvine, Montana, and UC Davis? It defies all logic. Another 40+ year tournament drout on it's way? I think we've under estimated the greatness of Mike Montgomery and what he did with that program.

I actually heard that Duke's fans stormed the court after beating....Virginia Tech???? Is Duke falling so far that they storm the court now after beating old Metro jobbers?

I actually heard that Duke's fans stormed the court after beating....Virginia Tech???? Is Duke falling so far that they storm the court now after beating old Metro jobbers?

Yeah I know. Not like they're #1 in the nation or anything.

I think they were celebrating the way they won, not the fact that they beat VT.

Duke outta be absolutely in panic that they beat a jobber like Va Tech on a hail mary. They most certainly should not be rushing the court over it. This weekend, Texas beats their asses.

I'll put it to you this way: U of L is shitty this year. But if Va Tech came to Freedom Hall we'd beat their asses by at least double digits.

Guest Leelee

UW-Gonzaga was a very fun game. Huskies won by 4, but were a little fortunate since Gonzaga lost Batista and Raivio for most of the 2nd half, and just let Morrison shoot every single possession. Almost worked too, if Morrison was a better outside shooter, he would have had 50+.

I guess the Huskies are the favorite in the Pac-10 now... since UCLA keeps getting more injuries, and Zona is struggling.

Horrible weekend for VT, shit.

Maybe this shot, combined with that shot by WSU against Illinois last week (though it was after time expired, I know) will get players to guard better on those last second half-court shots (if they're within three or less) rather than thinking "there's no way they can make that."

Guest Leelee
Maybe this shot, combined with that shot by WSU against Illinois last week (though it was after time expired, I know) will get players to guard better on those last second half-court shots (if they're within three or less) rather than thinking "there's no way they can make that."

Until a ref calls a stupid shooting foul, and coach of team that fouls is fired the next day.

Guest Leelee

Duke is still #1 in the rankings by a large margin...

I'll never understand the people who vote in these things.

The Atlantic 10 has another good night as George Washington surges past Maryland, and everyone won, except Richmond. Who was playing in Freedom Hall, anyway.

Tonight, it's St. Joes aganist Kansas. Go Hawks, and not the Choking Kind!

And another ranked team is downed.

Indiana "We haven't done shit since Larry Bird" State takes down the Indiana "Mike Davis is going to find himself on the unemployment line" Hoosiers.

In other news. St Joes beats Kansas as well. The Jayhawks fall to 3 - 4 on the year.

Edited by DragonLordKaiba

How could any game outside of Durham be considered an extra home game? There are far more anti-Duke fans around the country than there are pro-Duke fans.

The biggest problem with Duke is that they have no defense against centers. You look at the numbers of Indiana's center and Virginia Tech's center, they pretty much carry their teams. Shelden Williams can hardly be aggressive as he has to worry about staying out of foul trouble.

Edited by JustJoe2k5

Duke's biggest problem is that they are still essentially a 2 man team. Do they even have anyone besides Redick and Williams that average double figures? I'd just double Redick and let Williams get his and take my chances on anyone else beating me.

I think Texas will take Duke out this weekend, they just seem to have more weapons, and enough size inside to counter Williams.

Just for the heck of it, here's the Top Ten in the Sagarin rankings right now:

1. Villanova

2. Duke

3. Missouri State

4. Connecticut

5. Florida

6. Nevada

7. Texas

8. Memphis

9. Illinois

10. Washington

It's kind of odd to see Missouri State sticking out with the rest of the rankings so normal. Their best win up to this point is either Northern Illinois or Oral Roberts, and they haven't even been blowing out their opponents by all that much. I guess computer rankings are bound to have inaccuracies with this few games played, but I just thought it was an interesting quirk.

Edited by iggymcfly

Duke's biggest problem is that they are still essentially a 2 man team. Do they even have anyone besides Redick and Williams that average double figures? I'd just double Redick and let Williams get his and take my chances on anyone else beating me.

I think Texas will take Duke out this weekend, they just seem to have more weapons, and enough size inside to counter Williams.

Duke only needs one weapon, J.J. Redick. And they sure did counter Williams, held him to 20 points.

Hmmm, undefeated #2 Texas is getting pounded by the undefeated #1 team in the country.

I wonder if that's a sign... :D

Probably didn't help Vince Young's confidence, he was sitting in the crowd for the game.

I really, really wish I hadn't made that Texas prediction, haha. Dear God they got exposed big time out there today. That said, if you look at it Redick and Williams had most of Duke's points, so my theory on them is still realistic. It's just finding a team that can shut down Redick or Williams. Maybe someone should just goon Redick? Hell, I'd do it rather than let him go for 40 on me.

Oh, and U of L finally squashed a jobber today! We beat Akron 111-85. With Texas embarrassing themselves today U of L is now going to be....#4???

Guest Smues

Damn I sleep in and wake up to see Duke crushed Texas? That's a good start to my day. Now if Gonzaga loses to Ok. St. It'll be a great day.

Yeah, I guess everybody that thought Duke "didn't look like a title team" is eating a little crow right now. I slept late after a relatively long night of drinking, so I didn't actually see the game, but from the score, it looks like Texas just got raped.

If you think about it, two weapons is all that a team really needs to score the ball if the rest of the team plays good defense and good team basketball.

The Chicago Bulls of the mid-90s basically had two weapons in MJ and Scottie, and the Lakers dynasty was all Shaq and Kobe most of the time too. Really, I think the blueprint to beat Duke is the same as it's been for the last two and a half years. Get Shelden Williams in foul trouble, so you can isolate JJ Redick and double team him.