TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Wikipedia is garbage

Encouraging signs from the Wikipedia project, where co-founder and uberpedian Jimmy Wales has acknowledged that there are real quality problems with their online work

"This is garbage, in incoherent hodge-podge of dubious factoids that adds up to something far less than the sum of it's parts," he wrote.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/18/wi...uality_problem/

(Maybe now the undermen can be persuaded to stop using this lousy web "service" in their silly little net arguements? Maybe school teachers can stop accepting work with information based on entries to this web site also? ah...one can dream)

I have to write a speech by thursday and I haven't started yet. I was planning to copy the appropriate wiki article(s) and change things just enough to avoid plagerism charges. But now I don't know what to do.

I have to write a speech by thursday and I haven't started yet. I was planning to copy the appropriate wiki article(s) and change things just enough to avoid plagerism charges. But now I don't know what to do.

You'd still be ripping off someone's work if you didn't cite sources.

"Henry David Thoreau

by Richard

Henry David Thoreau was an American author, naturalist, pacifist, tax resister and philosopher who is famous for Walden, on simple living amongst nature, and Civil Disobedience, on resistance to civil government. I SUCK BALLS I SUCK BALLS I SUCK BALLS."

Guest feelin fine 69

I once switched Martin Luther King's and James Earl Ray's bios out of boredom.

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/16030.asp

On-Line Encyclopedia Publishes Bogus Biography

He's a prominent defender of the right to free speech. But recently John Seigenthaler, a journalist who runs the First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt, found himself a victim of it.

The website is Wikipedia. It's an encyclopedia where anyone can contribute, and a place where anyone can just click an article and put in their own two cents worth. Wikipedia allows anyone to edit an article without having to provide credentials, prove expertise, or even reveal your name. It’s the second most visited reference site on the internet.

Seigenthaler recently discovered a profile of himself on the internet he calls a "false, malicious" story.

Turns out someone took Seigenthaler's entry and wrote that he was once suspected of assassinating John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert.

“I was hit by somebody hiding in that darkness, and hit hard,” said Seigenthaler.

“It's beyond me to imagine that anyone would write that I was suspected of assassinating the president and the attorney general of the United States,” he continued.

The biography is the reason Seigenthaler wrote an editorial in USA Today and appeared on CNN Monday with the website's founder, Jimmy Wales.

“Most people only want to help us build this free, charitable, nonprofit resource,” said the founder Jimmy Wales on the CNN show.

During Seigenthaler's appearance, the program's host mentioned she too had found inaccurate information on Wikipedia about herself.

It has raised the question about whether websites like this open the door for anyone to simply log on and re-write history.

“I was a victim of outrageous speech and the First Amendment Center says the first amendment protects outrageous speech, but I'm also an advocate of accountability,” said Seigenthaler.

As a defender of free speech, Seigenthaler says he does not plan to sue the author, but as an investigative reporter, he has resolved to uncover who it is.

As a result of all this, Wikipedia no longer allows unregistered users to create new pages, but they can still edit old pages.

Seigenthaler's bio is locked so no one can change it. Seigenthaler says there are still several minor errors.

It's an encyclopedia where anyone can contribute, and a place where anyone can just click an article and put in their own two cents worth. Wikipedia allows anyone to edit an article without having to provide credentials, prove expertise, or even reveal your name

It has raised the question about whether websites like this open the door for anyone to simply log on and re-write history.

Fucking DUH. You answered that question earlier in the article, assface.

(The answer is yes)

John Seigenthaler needs to quit crying like a bitch. No one thinks you killed JFK, shithead.

Guest JMA

It kind of sucks than Jimmy Whales is an objectivist. That's almost as bad as being a Scientologist.

Anyway, it looks like Wikipedia is taking some harsh criticism lately (both on and off the Internet). There does need to be some way of preventing people from creating fake articles or falsifying information. Sometimes a "consensus" doesn't help at all.

I don't think it's any better to be obsessed with anime under age 18. I don't think it's an age thing.

Edited by Milky.

It kind of sucks than Jimmy Whales is an objectivist. That's almost as bad as being a Scientologist.

Which is almost as bad as being obsessed with anime past age 18! ass. you fuck with Rand you fuck with me

SLUT!

I don't think it's any better to be obsessed with anime under age 18. I don't think it's an age thing.

Fun Fact: Ralph Nader is actually writing a new book on this topic called Anime: Ghey at Any Age.

Guest i'll facist YOUR regime!

i had figured it was recyclable :/

What is it with smark forums and anime? Eternal struggle over who is nerdier?

Edited by i'll facist YOUR regime!

Guest JMA

I think Officer Barbrady pretty much sums up Ayn Rand and her crappy literature:

"Yes at first I was happy to be learning how to read, it seemed exciting and magical. But then I read this. "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage and because of this piece of shit, I'm never reading again!"

Nothing more needs to be said.

George Walker Bush (born July 6, 1946) is the 43rd and current President of the United States since 2001.

From 1995 to 2000, Bush served as Governor of the State of Texas. A lifelong member of the Republican Party, Bush was a businessman before entering politics. He helped found the failed Arbusto Energy and later became a managing partner in the Texas Rangers baseball team. Bush was elected the 46th Governor of Texas in 1994 and was re-elected in 1998. He won the Republican nomination in the 2000 presidential election and was elected President. HE IS ALSO A CUM SUCKING FAGGOT, AND DOESN'T CARE ABOUT COLORS.

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=4205142

Wikipedia tightens rules after false Seigenthaler article

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that allows anyone to contribute articles, is tightening its rules for submitting entries following the disclosure that it ran a piece falsely implicating a man in the Kennedy assassinations.

Wikipedia will now require users to register before they can create articles, Jimmy Wales, founder of the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based Web site, said Monday.

The change comes less than a week after John Seigenthaler, who was Robert Kennedy's administrative assistant in the early 1960s, wrote an op-ed article for USA Today revealing that Wikipedia had run a biography claiming Seigenthaler had been suspected in the assassinations of the former attorney general and his brother, President Kennedy

Wikipedia, which on Monday offered more than 850,000 articles in English, has grown into a storehouse of pieces on topics ranging from medieval art to nano technology. The volume of content is possible because the site relies on volunteers, including many experts in their fields, to submit entries and edit previously submitted articles.

The Web site hopes that the registration requirement will limit the number of stories being created, Wales said.

"What we're hopeful to see is that by slowing that down to 1,500 a day from several thousand, the people who are monitoring this will have more ability to improve the quality," Wales said Monday. "In many cases the types of things we see going on are impulse vandalism."

Wikipedia visitors will still be able to edit content already posted without registering. It takes 15 to 20 seconds to create an account on the Web site, and an e-mail address is not required.

Seigenthaler - USA Today's first editorial director, chairman emeritus and retired publisher and editor at the Tennessean in Nashville and founder of the Freedom Forum First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University - said that following his op-ed piece the biography of him was changed to remove the false accusations.

But Seigenthaler said the current entry on Monday still got some facts wrong, apparently because volunteers are confusing him with his son, John Seigenthaler Jr., a journalist with NBC News.

Also disturbing is a section of his biography that tracks changes made to the article, the elder Seigenthaler said. Entries in that history section label him a "Nazi" and say other "really vicious, venomous, salacious homophobic things about me," he said.

Wales said those comments would be removed.

For 132 days, Seigenthaler said the biography of him falsely claimed that "for a brief time, he was thought to have been directly involved in the Kennedy assassinations of both John, and his brother, Bobby."

The biography also falsely stated that he had lived in the Soviet Union from 1971 to 1984.

Seigenthaler said he wasn't convinced the new registration requirement would stop the practice of vandals posting content that is slanderous or knowingly incorrect. Wikipedia will either have to fix the problem or will lose whatever credibility it still has, he said.

"The marketplace of ideas ultimately will take care of the problem," Seigenthaler said. "In the meantime, what happens to people like me?"

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Matt Hasselbeck has been struck twice by lightning!

That explains the lack of hair

OR very in-depth info on shit that will never EVER serve any kind of purpose.

Ain't that the truth. I just read an in-depth article on the 2005 Smack-Off on the Jim Rome Show.

Terrence was fucking robbed!