TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

SummerSlam (name some good ones)

Can anyone name some SummerSlam's that were great? Any SummerSlam's with any good build ups? Like 98 for example that had both the Austin/Taker match building since May as well as the Rock/HHH blowoff. Any other good ones?

I thought 2002 was pretty good...one of the few times I've enjoyed an RVD match (vs. Benoit), Rey/Angle was a good opener, Rock sorta passing the torch onto Brock...05 was good, I never saw 01, 03 or 04...I don't know if there were truely any great Summerslam cards from top to bottom, just great matches...

well I always thought 91 was good (bret/perfect(IC Belt), LOD/Nastys (tag titles), Virgil wins Million Dollar belt, Macho Man Wedding, Hogan, Warrior/Triangle of Terror and a couple other matches) that was a solid card for its day

And I was at at this years Summerslam and it wasnt that bad either)

I thought 1998 was a great version of SummerSlam. They had the whole "Highway to Hell" theme coupled with a cool video package and built up the show starting in late June. Just felt like something really special.

I also agree that the 1991 SummerSlam was an awesome card with some fantastic moments (ex. Virgil over DiBiase and Bret over Perfect for the IC belt) and it had a great commentary team in the form of Monsoon, Heenan, and Piper.

Guest Manus

2002 was the best. Awesome matches up and down the card. The Angle/Mysterio, Edge/Guerrero, RVD/Benoit, HHH/HBK, and Rock/Brock are all great matchups. Even Test/Taker and the tag title match are pretty good.

1992 was the best, imo.

The first one in '88 had a really big main event and some fun moments but the undercard was really hodge-podgey.

Edited by snuffbox

I don't know why, but to this day I've always loved 1994. In my younger, markier days I had a huge hard-on for Razor vs. Diesel, my two favorite wrestlers. Bret vs. Owen had decent enough appeal too. Taker vs. Taker confused me, but to the point to where I wanted to see the payoff. Mable vs. Jeff Jarrett just made me angry, even then.

-Cheex

I always liked Summerslam 2001. Apart from the Taker/Kane vs DDP/Kanyon debacle, it was a great PPV with solid matches, including the incredible Austin vs Angle match. Of course, it was when there was still a faint hope for the Invasion angle.

SummerSlam 2000 is a great show IMO:

Blackman vs Shane for the Hardcore Title.

Benoit vs Jericho best of three falls match. My favorite of their series.

TLC match - Hardys vs Dudleys vs E&C. Best TLC ever.

Rock vs HHH vs Angle. HHH and Rock were in top form that year and Angle kept up, even after a nasty head bump.

I don't know why, but to this day I've always loved 1994. In my younger, markier days I had a huge hard-on for Razor vs. Diesel, my two favorite wrestlers. Bret vs. Owen had decent enough appeal too. Taker vs. Taker confused me, but to the point to where I wanted to see the payoff. Mable vs. Jeff Jarrett just made me angry, even then.

-Cheex

I think '94 is underrated if only because the Hart cage match was 5 stars(imo).

91 and 98 jumped out to me immediately. I also remember enjoying '99 with the very good Shane/Test match and Foley's (short-lived) title win and '90 just for the Hart Foundation/Demolition 2 out of 3 falls match and the Texas Tornado IC title win, which was a mark out moment for me during my mark days (I hated Perfect back then). '90 doesn't hold a candle to the first two I mentioned though. Those two are the best built, best executed Summerslam's ever...and prolly some of the best build non-WM WWE PPVs ever IMO.

92 was my favourite show. There were a couple of stinkers (notably UT/Kamala and Crush/Repo Man), but the double main was fantastic, of course, and the "no hitting in the face" match between HBK and Rick Martel was fun and quite good.

Yea, 1989 is a pretty underrated show. It's got some good action with the tag match and the six man tag match with the Fabulous Rogeaus & Rick Martel vs. The Rockers & Tito Santana is an awesome encounter. Plus, Warrior-Rude was MUCH better than their WM V match and the steel cage match they'd have @ SummerSlam the next year.

I don't know how I managed to forget this show considering that Jesse Ventura rips the hell out of Schiavone throughout the Warrior-Rude match when Warrior hits Rude with the belt outside of the ring. Great times. :D

I don't know how I managed to forget this show considering that Jesse Ventura rips the hell out of Schiavone throughout the Warrior-Rude match when Warrior hits Rude with the belt outside of the ring. Great times. :D

Gold.

98 was the first thing I thought. Every feud was covered just enough and well-built throughout the summer. I'd say 98 was wrestling's best year.

'02 was also a good one, but 91's probably my favourite ever as far as pure wrestling goes.

1998's one of my favorite shows ever. 2001, as said above, is a solid card from top to bottom with maybe one or two exceptions.

I've always liked 1997. Austin-Owen is an awesome match, Bret-Taker is decent, and the HHH-Mankind cage match is fun. I was there live, though, so that may be part of the reason for my love of this show.

92 and 98 are my favorites hands down.

SummerSlam 1990 and 1991 have excellent, excellent undercards, but awful main events.

1992 has shining moments and a couple stinkers.

1998 is solid from top to bottom with the Oddities tag being a fun squash, altho not that entertaining.

2000 resembles 1992. The good is really good. The bad is really bad.

2001 and 2002 are the best WWF/WWE SummerSlam events ever, in my opinion.

My favorite SummerSlam is still 1992. The double main event that year was great.

97 - Also a good show (mainly for the Bret-Undertaker and Austin-Owen match-ups)

98 - A great show. Definately one of the best SummerSlams.

01 - IMO, the best from top to bottom. There were 2 matches that were bad but the rest is just great.

02 - Another great show.

05 - This show was a mix of good and bad. But overall I think that it's definately one of the better SummerSlam PPVs.

Last year's SummerSlam was pretty good if you chapter skip Undertaker / JBL.

Benoit / Orton really made the show for me, but you have fun matches like Kidman - London - Mysterio / The Dudley Boyz, Angle / Guerrero, Batista / Edge / Jericho on there. Heck, even Eugene / HHH was entertaining to watch.

SummerSlam 2002 is my favorite show ever, top to bottom. Even Undertaker was on his game. '04 was also very good.

Last year's SummerSlam was pretty good if you chapter skip Undertaker / JBL.

Benoit / Orton really made the show for me, but you have fun matches like Kidman - London - Mysterio / The Dudley Boyz, Angle / Guerrero, Batista / Edge / Jericho on there. Heck, even Eugene / HHH was entertaining to watch.

Are you kidding me? That was one of the worst PPVs I have ever seen.

My personal favs are 91 (th efirst one I saw), 98, 2001, 2002,

89 is really good, even the the main event isnt that bad, thanks to savage

90 and 91 are great markout shows, 90 has tornados shocker, and the Hart Foundation finally getting the titles backl after chasing for over 2 years. with 91 being important for me as it was my first and featured some big moments and memories like Bret winning the IC belt and Virgil upsetting Dibiase as well as LOD finally winning the tag titles

I have only seen to this date these events 88,89,90,91,93,94,95 98,99,2000,2001,2002,2004,2005

and have these on tape/dvd 89,90,98,99,01,02,04

I think 92 is the only one that has that WrestleMania feel to me being at Wembley Stadium with 80,000 people there. Plus it's a damn fine card.

My favorite SummerSlams are 91, 92, and 94. I also find SummerSlam 93 to be underrated, outside of Giant Gonzalez/Undertaker, every match is either too quick to be terrible or decent. Lex Luger Vs Yokozuna is by some miracle, a ** match. Bam Bam and The Headshrinkers Vs Tatanka and The Smoking Gunns is shockingly good, the whole Bret Hart segment is kick ass and despite being a massive disapointment, HBK-Mr. Perfect is still a decent enough match. I dunno why but there's always been a soft spot in my heart for Summerslam 93.

Are you kidding me? That was one of the worst PPVs I have ever seen.

No, if I was kidding, I would have said SummerSlam 1995.

Summerslam 95 did have Michaels/Razor Ladder II on it though. The rest is pretty crappy from what I can tell, though I've never actually SEEN the show and I've seen damn near every SS aside from that and 2003 (when we had a cable screwup).

The best Summerslam is without a doubt 1992. The biggest crowd in WWF history at 80,000+ at Wembley Stadium, some really good stuff like Warrior/Macho and Michaels/Martel, and of course my favorite match ever in Bret/Bulldog.

2002? Yeah the wrestling itself was good but the overall company direction and booking was bullshit. Hell, Edge's ludicrous no selling of the shoulder vs. Eddie is enough alone to drop that show out of top 3 SSs ever.

Summerslam 95 did have Michaels/Razor Ladder II on it though. The rest is pretty crappy from what I can tell, though I've never actually SEEN the show and I've seen damn near every SS aside from that and 2003 (when we had a cable screwup).

The best Summerslam is without a doubt 1992. The biggest crowd in WWF history at 80,000+ at Wembley Stadium, some really good stuff like Warrior/Macho and Michaels/Martel, and of course my favorite match ever in Bret/Bulldog.

2002? Yeah the wrestling itself was good but the overall company direction and booking was bullshit. Hell, Edge's ludicrous no selling of the shoulder vs. Eddie is enough alone to drop that show out of top 3 SSs ever.

95 had a good opener in 123 kid/hakushi, the bret-issac yankem match wasnt as bad as you would think either

Anyone have a copy of SS 95 so I can check it out? All I've seen is the Ladder Match via the 24/7 online. It's a show that represents the height of my apathy towards wrestling, what with Mabel in the main event title match and all. I don't care what they do in the future, nothing is as bad as that (aside from maybe pushing Vis AGAIN).

As far as my thoughts go on each show, here goes. Bear in mind I haven't seen some in years.

1988 was a fun show with some nice old school moments (the main event, HTM getting his ass finally kicked by the Warrior).

1989 has some really good action like Warrior/Rude, the Harts/Busters, and a nice 6 man. Main event with Zeus was crap of course.

1990...never much liked this show, not sure why. Main events are both bleh and aside from the fun tag title match there isn't much here that I remember liking.

1991 is one of my favorites. Hart/Perfect is one of my favorite matches and all the faces go over in glorious fashion (LOD winning the belts, Bossman kicks the Mountie's ass and sends him to jail). Classic.

1992: My feelings on this are posted above. My favorite show.

1993: I haven't seen this in about 12 years but I don't recall liking it much at the time. The main event was a gyp, and I just hate the booking of Bret/Lawler (the old DQ after the match is OVER finish).

1994: Fairly solid though not among my favorites. Bret/Owen is good, the IC match is fun, but UT vs. UT is flat out hideous.

1995: Haven't seen.

1996: This show sucks. Boiler Room Brawl has moments but is far too long, the Michaels/Vader match is not as good as it could have been, and the rest is trash.

1997: Lots of fun gimmick matches here but there isn't much that's any good on it unless you want to see Austin's neck broken, or maybe see Ken Shamrock go nuts. It has moments that flirt with greatness, but no actual great matches.

1998: Wonderful storylines and booking, but I seem to recall being underwhelmed by the actual wrestling on the show. I might need to watch again.

1999: I sorta liked it at the time, but it doesn't have much that requires multiple viewings nowdays.

2000: Lots of good matches here (TLC, Benoit/Jericho) but it isn't much more notable than lots of other PPVs from that year.

2001: Great show. Austin/Angle was excellent, Rock/Booker is decent, RVD/Jeff ladder was a fun spotfest. Only downside is Jericho blowing all of his spots vs. Rhino.

2002: Feelings on this one are above. Wrestling was good, booking and direction sucked.

2003: I have not seen but I have a feeling it sucks awful.

2004: Pretty forgettable really, though some are fonder of the Orton/Benoit match (not me though especially).

2005: I liked it pretty well. Main event was as good as it could hope to be and at least the faces went over in the right places.

Guest Ransome

SummerSlam 1994 has always been one of my top 5 favourite pay-per-views of all time. You just need to stop the tape after the Hart vs Hart cage match, is all.

Even though there have been plenty of great matches from Summerslams, I don't know that I'd buy a Summerslam boxset (a la WM). There's just too many filler matches and not enough of the classic moments of past Wrestlemanias. I'd much rather buy a (say) 5-disc compilation of SummerSlam's greatest matches and moments that would eliminate the crap.