TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest gska

best wrestling game for nin64

Guest gska

hey, I just won a bid on eBay for WWF no mercy for 64... when Nabit popped up saying someone was outbidding me, I outbid him so quick, and won it! and Im extremely stoked for it to come in... I remember playing it back when 64 was the hotness... and I am way too amped to play it again! Ive been buying a bunch of old video games for my older systems. (new games are just too expensive) I like the simplicity of the older systems it levels the playing field.

No Mercy is definitly MY favourite wrestling game for 64...

whats yours?

No Mercy was a fantastic game. A really up to date roster, and a good who's who of WWF at the time. The ONLY negative to the game was the action slowing to a crawl when more than 3 wrestlers were on screen. This could be blamed on the N64's processor speed however and not the game, itself.

I dont know about anyone else, but when the game was released, the first thing I really looked forward to was giving someone the Last Ride. Ah, memories.......

WCW/nWo Revenge was another GREAT game for the system. I loved the receiving scores at the end of a match based on how you wrestled, played to the crowd, went to the air, etc. It's a shame this was the first and as far as I know, only wrestling game to have a system like this.

I loved the weight system, made it realistic.

One thing I missed from the Revenge days were the Combos and there were some nifty moves in there that weren't in the later games.

Revenge.

No Mercy had the glitch that I always seemed to get. And while ladder match was a fun addition, the slowdown on everything was really really bad. WM2000 was decent (especially the create-a-belt).

Revenge was excellent, even without the create-a-wrestler mode. I got more pleasure out of renaming each character than I did with the create-a-wrestler in WM2000 or NM.

I have a soft spot in my heart for WCW vs. NWO World Tour. Sure, it only had about 32 wrestlers in the game, you could only use weapons outside the ring, and the actions moves pretty slow compared to other N64 genres BUT it was the only game w/a standard tag team elimination match (instead of the Texas Tornado eliminated match) and that made for some wild times. I remember my friends and I played the hell out of this game when it came out and we had loads of fun organizing tournaments and playing in battle royals.

The problem with World Tour was how rare pinfalls were. But World Tour had my favorite made up wrestler of all time: Powder Keg.

Also, once everyone in your circle figured out how to stop the boxer's offense, he was useless. Just hold block, and while the boxer's punches are ineffective, the blocker's spirit jumps all the way up.

Guest clockworkraven

Revenge and No Mercy.

The one thing that kept me coming back to Revenge was Eric Bischoff.

Yea, Bischoff and his "Kicks of Doom."

I was always disappointed with the lack of game modes they had in Revenge although I loved the roster and how each wrestler played differently. I felt that a singles match, tag match, handicap match, and battle royal just weren't enough although you could just use the rules to customize matches as you wanted to (ex. submissions only, pins/TKOs only, texas tornado elimination, etc.)

I remember that Booker T was tough to beat in that game. I remember pitting him against Kevin Nash when I had a Clash of the Champions show in my fantasy fed and I Jackknifed that guy three times and beat him from pillar to post, but he kicked out everytime. Then somehow, at the ten minute mark he caught me in a random small package and got the three-count.

I also recall that the best match I probably ever had was a World title match between Sting (Champion) vs. Bret Hart. I had Bret tilted back for the Deathdrop when suddenly Hulk Hogan ran down to the ring, nailed me with whatever his finisher happened to be, jammed my leg into the canvas, and Bret locked on the Sharpshooter for the victory. Wild title change to say the least.

VPW2, it's not even close to me. Not only are a ton of wrestlers in it, with plenty of awesome moves and fantastic gameplay, but it also has a shoot mode which is just outstanding.

1) VPW2 (more hidden legends, more wrestlers total, MASK EDITOR!, shoot fighting)

2) WCW/nWo Revenge (roster diversity)

3) WWF No Mercy

Shite, I forgot about the shoot fighting. I change my answer:

VPW2, with No Mercy being a close second

1. Wrestler List

AJPW 1 --- AJPW 2 --- AJPW 3

Giant Baba --- Toshiaki Kawada --- Big Van Vader

Mitsuharu Misawa --- Akira Taue --- Stan Hansen

Yoshinari Ogawa --- Takao Ohmori --- Johnny Ace

Masahito Kakihara --- Yoshihiro Takayama --- Mike Burton

Kenta Kobashi --- Hiroshi Hase --- Gary Albright

Jun Akiyama --- Jun Izumida --- Johnny Smith

Kentaro Shiga --- Maunakea Mossman --- Giant Kimala

IWGP 1 IWGP 2 IWGP Jr.

Shinya Hashimoto --- Masahiro Chono --- Jushin Liger

Tatsumi Fujinami --- Keiji Mutoh --- El Samurai

Kensuke Sasaki --- Hiroyoshi Tenzan --- Kendo Ka Shin

Shiro Koshinaka --- Satoshi Kojima --- Dr. Wagner Jr.

Manabu Nakanishi --- Hiro Saito --- Shinjiro Ohtani

Yuji Nagata --- Scott Norton --- Tatsuhito Takaiwa

Kazuo Yamazaki --- Koji Kanemoto

Tadao Yasuda

FMW, ECW, Garbage --- Michinoku Pro --- RINGS

Hayabusa --- The Great Sasuke --- Kiyoshi Tamura

Masato Tanaka --- Jinsei Shinzaki --- Tsuyoshi Kousaka

Hiromichi Fuyuki --- TAKA Michinoku --- Bitsadze Tariel

Mr. Gannosuke --- Gran Naniwa --- Volk Han

Jado --- Super Delfin

Gedo --- Magnum Tokyo

Mike Awesome --- Shima Nobunaga

Genichiro Tenryu --- Dragon Kid

Pancrase --- PRIDE --- Battlarts

Masakatsu Funaki --- Nobuhiko Takada --- Yuki Ishikawa

Yoshiki Takahashi --- Kazushi Sakuraba --- Alexander Otsuka

Minoru Suzuki --- Enson Inoue --- Daisuke Ikeda

Kengo Watanabe --- Rumina Sato --- Minoru Tanaka

Semmy Schilt

Legends 1 --- Legends 2 --- Legends 3

Jumbo Tsuruta --- Andre the Giant --- Antonio Inoki

Mil Mascaras --- Akira Maeda --- Tiger Mask

Terry Funk --- Aleksandr Karelin --- Naoya Ogawa

Dory Funk Jr. --- Rickson Gracie --- Riki Chosu

Terry Gordy --- Mark Kerr --- Don Frye

Dr. Death --- Bas Rutten --- Atsushi Onita

Bruiser Brody --- The Great Muta --- Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Abdullah the Butcher Ultimo Dragon

EDIT:

I forgot to mention two of my other favorite wrestling games:

-Giant Gram 2000 (Dreamcast)

-Fire Pro Wrestling G (Dreamcast)

Nobody needs an adapter to play VPW2.

You can either use...

a) a saw or knife to saw off the ends of the cart, if you don't mind the holes it will leave behind.

b) a gamebit screwdriver and a backing for US cartridge. You could probably get a spare Warzone for like 50 cents and slap the back on VPW2.

Well, I loved No Mercy the most, but that slowdown is bad. Though, there is a way around it. Just turn off the music during the ladder matches, and bam! Normal speed returns....

Guest Evolution

VPW2.

It's sad, resting in my room is a full case with instructions and everything for VPW2...but the game is missing. I wish I knew where it went to.

Guest cheercomp

Has anyone played Touken Retsuden 2 for the 64? I believe it was the last Nintendo NJPW game. Looked about the same level graphics as Revenge, but far fewer characters.

Hell I still have my original launch No Mercy (which has the dreaded glitch) Havent played it in like 2 and a halkf years so my luck the glitch will strike when It plug it in again (but smartly I decided to back it up with a memory card after it hit me the first time-well back up my cwas at least)

Still have revenge and world tour, as well as War zone for my 64. I really need to hook up the old system and play again.

Although the game itself sucked, I liked WWF Attitude for its season mode. Working house shows to begin with is genius.

I agree, the season mode was very fun. I created myself and took me thru the season

I never boguht that game but I still have my game saved on a memory card, I should pick up a used copy sometime

This is the way I feel about Attitude:

When the best part of a game is creating everyone you know and having them rumble it out in all-COM mode, it must be an unplayable game.

(still had a lot of fun sitting around with pals, drinking and watching our CAW royal rumbles, though.)