TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Judas14

One and only new comic review thread for 02/13/02

Guest Judas14

Taskmaster #1- Decent opener for the mini-series, though I'm not too thrilled with the revamped Taskmaster costume (which makes Taskmaster look like a gimp)... 2/4

Authority #28- FINALLY it came out.... The new Authority faces off against the World's Finests Homosexuals and ends on a horrific cliffhanger. All this and a plot to replace all religion on Earth with a corporate owned Pokemon-inspired God..... 4/4

New X-Men #122- Bland issue as "Imperial", the much hyped arc featuring Cassandra Nova begins as the X-Men stand around and angst while Smasher fills in for Gladiator as "Token Imperial Guardsman who has to warn the X-Men about the upcoming apocalypse". Grant is quickly killing whatever credibility he once had with his X-Men run. 2/4

Transmetropolitan #53- Transmet continues on it's path to it's bloody, tragic end as Spider interviews the only surviving prostitute who serviced the President during the election campaign. Though it shows that Warren Ellis might be running out of political history to co-opt for the series with the Monica Lewinsky inspired "Blue Dress" revelation..... 3/4

Xtreme X-Men #10- Viper stops by, Lifeguard's brother gets his mutant powers activated by Deux de Machine Sage, and Gambit gets the Lorna Dane treatment as he is turned into a gateway for alien invaders. Plus we get hints at the return of Psylockes and Deathbird... 2/4

Still MIA: Captain Britian TPB.....

Guest Sassquatch

You should probably tell everyone why Morrison's "New X-Men" is terrible so that way there aren't a hundred questions about why it does.

What is funny is how you say it's terrible but you still buy it.

; )

I know the feeling.

*coughHarrasAvengersruncough*

Excuse me.

Guest areacode212

My comic shop purchases for this week (It appears that Greg Rucka will have a nice payday sometime this month):

New X-Men #122

Elektra #7 (Rucka sighting #1)

Queen & Country #6 (Rucka sighting #2)

The Sandman Presents: The Thessaliad #2

Muties: The Changeling #1 (impulse purchase...this seemed interesting)

Blue Monday: Lovecats (one-shot)

Detective Comics #767 (Rucka sighting #3)

Nightwing #66

plus the latest issue of Stuff, with Sheryl Crow on the cover.

Haven't read any of them yet, other than the main story in Detective, so reviews (in piecemeal) will be coming up.

Guest starvenger

>plus the latest issue of Stuff, with Sheryl Crow on the cover.

Neither have I.  I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and open it up.  Spoilers (such as it is) ahead:

(leafs through the magazine)

This month's Hype! chick: Maria Tornberg from Super Troopers. 1 pic

Greatest American Hero: Isaac Hayes

Sheryl Crow: Daaaaamn.  You wouldn't know that she's pushing 40 in these pix. 5 pix total

Kata Dobo from Rollerball.  Nice.  5 pix

Monica Keena from Undeclared.  Eh.  I'm going back to the Sheryl Crow pix. 4 pix.

Babe Of Yore: Bo Derek.  Insert "10" joke here.

They have the "Women's Studies" winner

And the chick they got off the streets was cute.

Yeah, like you really cared about anything else...

Guest raptor

X-treme X-Men #10: I'm glad to see Gambit back on a roster, but this was a pretty bad issue (comparetively). It just smacks of Deja Vu. Plus Slipstream and Lifeguard are already starting to suck. (2/4)

Ultimate X-Men #14: Wooo! Two Gambits in one week. This was a pretty good compliment to #13, as that one was character driven and this one is all out action. It's also got me excited about Chuck Austen's Uncanny X-Men. (4/4)

The Punisher #9: Far better than the last issue. The killer cab drivers seem kind of hokey, but Tom Peyer does a good job of setting them up as threats. (3/4)

New X-Men #122: I'm only continuing to buy this becuase I'm an X-Men freak. Morrisson's plots (except E is for Extinction) all seem rushed and anti-climactic. Plus, the atmosphere of the book is basically dead. (1.5/4)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #41 (Ugly Little Monsters part 2 of 3): A total 180 from the spectacular last issue. It doesn't even seem like it's the same arc (1/4).

BTVS Tales of The Slayer: Brilliant. Joss Whedon's contributions are the best part of this incredible Graphic Novel. Plus, it fills in some intergral timeline issues for fans of the show. (4/4)

Guest areacode212

nice to see another reviewer here, to deflect attention away from my laziness :)

Since you seem to read the Buffy comics, maybe you could respond to my Buffy comics post which has been ignored by everyone (you have to select "from the beginning", not "from the last week", to see it). I'm basically wondering if the series as a whole is worth picking up.

Sheryl Crow: Daaaaamn.  You wouldn't know that she's pushing 40 in these pix. 5 pix total

Y'know, I've always secretly thought she was really hot. As pathetic as this sounds, it was that shot of the bottom of her tit on the cover that made me pick this mag up.