TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the max

NHL 06

A bunch of Canadian people on the board and no talk about this game yet?

I'm still waiting to be impressed on the gameplay. The offensive side is still easy as hell to score (setup your strategy to be 'Crash the Net' do a partial wraparound and throw a pass at the front of the net. Sixty percent of the time, it works everytime.) while the defense cannot stop anything. The players have new animations (goalies look behind them for the puck and into the air in frustration if they let in an easy one, defenseman look disappointed in themselves after getting repeatedly torched, etc.) but for the most part, it's the same game that it has been. The numbers are just too unrealistic for me. I'm averaging over nine goals a game, giving up around six. Raycroft has been the drizzling shits (his gaa is in the high 5's) and my backup isn't faring all too well either. I can get shutouts of good teams like Philly and Ottawa, but teams like Washington and Carolina knock me around and have put up double digits. It's very frustrating.

My lines:

Sturm-Bergeron-Murray

Reinprecht-Marleau-Mair

Cleary-Boyes-Afinogenov

Fitzgerald-Primeau-Mellanby

Hannan-Morris

Daley-Allen

Delmore-Warrener

I haven't played a hockey game in a few years, and since this has '94 on it I figured what the heck and got it.

It's ok, I guess. What is your game length? I do 5-minute periods and get somewhat realistic stats -- not the 70-shot scoring fests.

And it's lame that in the dynasty mode that the regular season schedule stays the same...

Edited by kkktookmybabyaway

I've done 10 minute periods for as far back as I can remember.

I still haven't gotten through my first season, but with some of the players that will be available in the draft and my number of first round picks from bad teams, I'm anticipating it greatly. I'd sim the rest of the season, but I want to win my rivalry games and finish first in the conference. My team goal is advance to/past (I can't remember) the second round of the playoffs.

Guest Leelee

Haven't played NHL 2006... after the abomination that was 2002, I've stayed away from the EA hockey games.

I played NHL 2k6 for a while. I think I completed a season, but mostly played online. Hockey games don't stay fun for long, though. Eventually you find out all the cheap ways to score... and playing a somewhat real style of hockey goes down the drain.

I bought the game about a month ago and I've heavily enjoyed it. I play ten minute periods on medium and even though I do get some games that end up 8-7 (like my Maple Leafs vs. the Tampa Bay Lightning) a lot end up in the 5-4 range.

The hitting has been toned down and now the computer starts to attack your guy if he holds onto the puck too long. Also, the play seems to be more realistic in its pacing without an arcadish feel of back and forth hockey.

The skill stick makes for some easy goals, but I tend to restrict it's use unless I'm on a breakaway b/c I don't like to cheat. Call me a purist or whatever, but I try to restrict myself with what I do to make the game enjoyable and prevent lots of blowouts.

I haven't gotten through my first season but it DOES suck that they don't change your schedule from the previous year. After all, was that too much to ask for?

For $29.99 I think I got my money's worth out of this game. The last NHL game I owned was NHL 2001 which was good for its time period, but it didn't have a dynasty mode or anything like that so I got the new game.

Help me out with this. I'm not a big hockey fan, so some of these terms used in the game I'm not getting.

When you make those "mini adjustments" to your lines, I understand the offensive ones "Conservative, All-Out-Attack, etc." but the defensive ones I'm a bit lost on. My public school education has me assuming what "Protect the Net" means, but what exactly is "Puck Side Attack"?...

Puck-side attack means that your defenders will try to get in front of the shooter at all times, to block the shot. This is good if you have a speedy defense, since they can quickly get from one shooter to another. Normal is essentially all of the strategies in one. The only other one I can remember is 'High Pressure' which has your defenders constantly attacking shooters. This is a great style when you're down a goal or two late in the game. It's a good way of forcing turnovers. The downside is that it leaves the front of your net open to any rebounds if the shooter gets a shot off that you can't block.

Scoring is indeed easy, but I rarely get more than 3 goals scored against. I just hit everything that crosses my blue line and it goes fine. I use Roberto Luongo as my goalie, with Biron as backup. Works like a charm.

BTW, I play 5 minutes periods on medium.

Puck-side attack means...

Thanks. I might start up my dynsasty in a little while. I'm still getting the hang of the game play.

Another hockey question: About how many shots do most real NHL games average? When I sim it looks like the shot totals average about 25. I try to have realistic stats when I play.

Also, when defending a penalty shot, how do you control the goalie/make him perform saves?...

Anywhere from 30-35 is normal. 40+ means the defense sucks. I typically average 60-70, but I can get 4-5 shots off of rebounds.

I don't know how to control the goalie on a penalty shot, since I've only had one and I missed. I would imagine that he'd be automatically controlled though...

Guest cosbywasmurdered

He should be auto controled. He always is when I play my game (on the ps2). I got this game around when it came out on Ps2 and I still play it a heck of alot. I just started a dynasty today with the Canucks. I wish I had a connection to the internet for my ps2 so I could update the rosters though

Updated rosters are OK. I'm not a fan. I kept the ones that came with the game. The AI generates trades on their own which makes things interesting. So far, I've seen Sakic and Hejduk traded to Detroit and Shane Doan traded to Columbus.

I simmed my way through the rest of the season and a majority of the playoffs. I played the first two rounds (NYR and the Habs, respectively) and swept my way to the conference finals. I simmed the conference finals and beat the Islanders(!) to take on Detroit in the finals. I simmed five games of the series and lost in seven. Meh. I completed my goal, so I don't really care that much.

The off-season is pretty fun, actually. Since I had the first four picks in the draft (after unloading Murray to the Hurricanes for their third overall pick and rid myself of his 4.2 million dollar contract) I got the four best skaters in the draft.

I traded some of the deadweight guys and remade my lines:

Sturm-Bergeron-Mair

Reinprecht-Marleau-Afinogenov

Cleary-Boyes-Lombardi

Erat-Legwand-draft pick(can't remember which one)

Bouwmeester-Boynton

Hnidy-Delmore

Warrener-Daley

I'm about to get PS2 online tomorrow, and I'm really behind on the whole internet thing when it comes to video games. Is it complicated to set up? And do updated rosters for the game come from online? Or am I missing something?

Edited by mike546

Florida made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

When I started playing, I was just messing around with contracts and accidentally managed to sign Andrew Raycroft to a three year extension for about 8.8 million a season. Oops. So, I figured nobody would want him since I offered him around and got no bites. So, I finished up last season and a week into the second year of my dynasty, Florida emails me a trade offer:

Andrew Raycroft (8.8 million)and a second round pick

for

Roberto Luongo (1.3 million).

I couldn't make the trade fast enough. I managed to reel off 13 wins in a row.

Pretty much, yeah. It's kind of nice because they'll tell you when someone is playing well and suggest a promotion to the big roster. It's good to use update money on your minor league coaches because young guys will reach their potential sooner.

I'm about 53 games into my first year of dynasty mode as the Toronto Maple Leafs and have a record of 39-12-2. However, even though I'm in first place in the Eastern Conference I've been 0-3 against the Tampa Bay Lightning in season mode. First game I played them in I lost 11-10 b/c Martin St. Louis scored with 3:40 left, second game I lost 2-1 (10-10 in regulation) in a shootout after Mogilny missed the last shot, and in this last game stupid Eric Lindros hit Mogilny (my star player w/50+ goals and 30+ assists) in the first period with a slapshot thereby injuring Mogilny's ankle and forcing him from the game. Needless to say, after that I put Tampa Bay on the power play 8 times and gave up 6 goals on it to lose 8-4. It had to be one of the crappist games I've played so far.

On top of that, Mogilny is out for 11 days which means he'll miss a key game vs. New Jersey, a game with ATL (which I don't worry about), and a home & home series with the Rangers. In my first game without him, I squeaked by the Washington Capitals 5-4 in OT with a winning Mats Sundin goal after I intercepted a careless pass in the Washington zone when I was on a PowerPlay 4-on-3.

Who are the top teams in everyone else's dynasties? In mine, Detroit is a juggernaught and is like 45-7-1, just insane.

Finally, quick question: What are the best ways to be one of the best teams in league financing? I'm currently like 25th which is a little discouraging.

Edited by Danville_Wrestling

I have both NHL 06 and NHL 2K6. The best way I can describe them is that 06 is the best game when it comes to graphics, sound and multiplayer. NHL 2K6 is awesome if you are into sim hockey and a game packed with features. NHL 06 is the best hockey game EA has put out in awhile but it's a bit too arcade-ish for my likes and the hitting is all too easy. On 2k6 I can actually have a realistic game and scores that vary (i win a game 5-2, i lose the next one in overtime, i win a close one, get blown out, etc)

Right now i'm in the 2nd year of my dynasy with the Oilers. I traded guys away like Ryan Smyth and draft picks to get some good players.

1st line: Rick Nash, Danny Briere, Ales Hemsky

2nd line: Moreau, Staal, Dvorak

3rd line: Rita, Horcoff, Pisani

4th line: Peterson, Reasoner, Mettinen

defenders: Smith, Staios, Hulse, Bergeron, Gill, Semenov

goalies: Fleury and Shields

The thing i liked is that i simmed the first season and loaded up on a head coach. It cost me so much money that i ended up having no money for other coaches and staff so my offense sucked dry and I finished 3rd last in the league. This is probably the only game I play now on xbox.

Finally, quick question: What are the best ways to be one of the best teams in league financing? I'm currently like 25th which is a little discouraging.

Cut payroll, put money in accounting, get attendance up and don't suck.

I was always dead last in league financing with the team that I inherited, so I started selling off good, expensive players for young and cheaper players. I cut payroll from 59 million to 33 million in my first season. And since I'm the best team in the NHL right now, my attendance is huge, my revenue is in the 110's and since my accounting is good, I'm making 60-65 million a month.

I'm through year two of my dynasty. I am the 2006-07 Stanley Cup Champions, beating...Columbus(!) in the finals.

Luongo decided that he was suddenly worth 10.1(!) million a season, so I dealt him for picks and drafted a goaltender with 95 potential and is a 75 overall. I also drafted a left-winger and solid defenseman. My young guys have developed into 75-85 overall players with tiny contracts. I resigned Marleau to an expensive contract as he's become my franchise player.

Some tips for dynasties:

- Always have good centers. Centers can play LW or RW in an injury situation and generally have the highest potential in drafts.

- Goaltending is not worth 4+ million. There are always goaltenders available for cheap.

- Build up scouting and minor league coaching in your upgrades. Scouts allow you to land gems in your system which your minor league coach helps make into stars. Legal and Assistant GM should not be ignored either. Team building stuff is bull, don't waste your money.

How does the downloading of new rosters work in any of these sports games? Like, can I download updated rosters half way during a season?

I'm not ignoring you because you're a commie. I just don't know the answer. You might have better luck going to a Madden thread/board...

How does the downloading of new rosters work in any of these sports games? Like, can I download updated rosters half way during a season?

You can download updated rosters whenever they are available, they won't actually change your current season or franchise rosters. Once you download a roster update, you would have to start a new season/franchise with the updated rosters.