TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tom

Proposed Main Page Relaunch

"Mark" is more than a wrestling term. Saying we're smart marks means (at least in name) we're able to see past all the ways the culture tries to fool us and write about things in an informed, even-handed manner.

Theoretically true, but it really is a wrestling term. And whatever happened to smart fans? That's better than being a smark, because you get to be an asshole.

F1 and the World Cup of Soccer will be covered, definitely. If others want to help out with a monthly round-table discussion of all sports outside the US, say in here.

Once New Years Holidays are completely done with and I get my shit together, I'll probably put in an application to do something revolving around football (soccer), so I'd be more than happy to do World Cup stuff as well. Not sure how coverage is elsewhere, but we definately get every game televised live here.

And I'm no expert, but I watch F1 as much as possible, so I may be able to help out with that somewhat.

EDIT: Infact, I watch enough (i.e far too much) TV that I could help out with the round-table thing. I don't get cricket anymore though, so we'd have to put up with your Aussie bias on that.

Edited by King Cucaracha

Which is fine, considering we're the best team in the world :)

And don't give me that shit about you winning the Ashes, call me when you've beaten us in Australia, like no other team has in 10+ years.

Yes, I was busy with friends and family for the holidays. And I was also busy being sick. Meh.

Anyway, a few suggestions.

I generally like the look of the Beta page, but that's way too many subcategories. Most of them can probably go.

Writers should not use their forum handles when writing articles. If this is supposed to be an actual website, not an extension of a messageboard, then it needs to look as professional as possible. If I see an article by "Kingofthe909," I'm not going to think, "Oooh, that might be interesting," I'm going to think, "WTF is a 'Kingofthe0909?'" (Not trying to pick on King here, but it's a decent example.) Using your real name should be encouraged, or at least a variation thereof. No one is going to find you and kill you because you signed your name to a column. (unless they already knew where you lived... :ph34r:)

Are articles going to be in Pending status until an editor approves them?

Guest Leelee
No one is going to find you and kill you because you signed your name to a column.

Not until it's too late.

F1 and the World Cup of Soccer will be covered, definitely. If others want to help out with a monthly round-table discussion of all sports outside the US, say in here.

Once New Years Holidays are completely done with and I get my shit together, I'll probably put in an application to do something revolving around football (soccer), so I'd be more than happy to do World Cup stuff as well. Not sure how coverage is elsewhere, but we definately get every game televised live here.

And I'm no expert, but I watch F1 as much as possible, so I may be able to help out with that somewhat.

EDIT: Infact, I watch enough (i.e far too much) TV that I could help out with the round-table thing. I don't get cricket anymore though, so we'd have to put up with your Aussie bias on that.

I'm in.

Yes, sorry I am back in town after the New Year and back working on possibilities and such.

I am still gathering the web designers out there, if anyone else can design for the new site. If no one has any objections, I say we consider it launched, change the old site to the new, and old topics and articles will be moved over mainly all into the wrestling category. Overtime, the sites design and look will change as it builds momentum, but I figured since it’s meant for reading and such the current sites look and navigation should be sufficient, besides a logo up top. Agree? or Disagree?

The old sites categories will merge into the new sites categories as listed below. *adjustments may still be made

News, TV Reports, Commentaries, Tape Reviews all will go into Wrestling on the new site...

Pop Culture Will all will be dumped into Entertainment, or possibly movies?

CrossFace will be dumped into wrestling and some articles may be dumped into sports or their appropriate category.

The site has launched, its looking ok, we just need to get a designer behind it now. We got a lot of writers and I hope that side of things work out. There are still a few of you which I need to setup in the system, but besides that, everyone else with an account is ready to write. :)

*Still accepting applications, as I don't think we can have too many writers.

I already sent you a followup PM asking for permissions to edit the format, after you sent me the code, and I haven't received anything from you yet. Did one of our PMs get dropped somewhere?

And the articles still have "YourSITE.com" on the title, rather than TheSmartMarks like on the front page.

Thats fixed. :) Sorry, either I acidently deleted the PM over the new year on my dialup out of town or it did drop. I will contact you via PM about how to login and such.

I fixed the link on the first post in this topic. The actual site is just thesmartmarks.com now or the link @ the top of the forums

Now that I'm a successful professional, I don't have time for the leagues with kids in them.

Honey please, I've been a successful professional for years now.

Sadly, I just got a massive promotion, so my time will be tough, but im doing this!

Guest Princess Leena
I fixed the link on the first post in this topic. The actual site is just thesmartmarks.com now or the link @ the top of the forums

I see.

But, I still can't login to the page. With the name Leelee or Princess Leena. :(

Guest Heel Turn

Maybe you should try the name "friendless bitch."

WHOA-HO! HEEL TURN!

Actually, I think Leena's all right. And that's the REAL Heel Turn.

Ok, new page now has a rating system on all articles and tracks publicly how many times the article has been viewed. Also, all the writers who have signed up so far, have been moved to “TSM Writers” group on the forums and you all should see a new section in “Forums Stuff” dedicated to you guys so you can all discuss amongst yourselves what you are planning on writing and such. In there, provided all the writers agree with it, I would like to post the writers staff list with contact info and such. If you can’t see the folder or if you are having any other issues, let me know.

From now on I will be posting info in there. This topic will remain for more public feedback.

Thanks everyone’s support!

I am testing out a new little feature which seems pretty cool. basically all of you that are either writers or have your own websites can use the following tool, to make your website display articles from TSM!

http://thesmartmarks.com/artman/exec/syndicate.cgi

By Clicking the above link, you can create the code to add to your website to post the latest articles on your website.

Comments? Questions? Let me know.

My first column is up. Rando's was great. This is already turning out awesome. I look forward to reading everyone else's stuff.