TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Songs for the End of the world

Odd choice for a thread topic, but what songs, if any, make you think of the end of the world. The song soesn't have to be about the apocalypse, but it can be. Hell, it can just bring that thought to mind. Also, songs that make you think of a post apocalyptic world count

Anyways, my choices

Johnny Cash-The Man Comes Around

Death In June-Little Black Angel

Marc Almond-Love Amongst the Ruined

Louis Armstrong - A Kiss To Build A Dream On

The Doors-The End

Anything from Godspeed You Black Emperor or A Silver Mt. Zion

Morrissey-Everyday is like Sunday

Ministry-Stigmata

Early Current 93

Coil-Slur (Actually, all of the Horse Rotorvator album)

Faith No More-Midnight Cowboy

Insane Clown Posse - Nothing's Left

It's an Epic. Thats right ICP has an Epic.

Even though the band has been mentioned, "The Dead Flag Blues" by Godspeed You Black Emporer is flat-out creepy in the way it makes me think that the world will end.

"The car is on fire. And there is no driver at the wheel. And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides. And a dark wind blows. The Government is corrupt and we're all on so many drugs with the radio on and the curtains drawn. We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine and the machine is bleeding to death. The sun has fallen down, and the billboards are all leering and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

It went like this: The buildings tumbled in on themselves. Mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble and pulled out their hair. The skyline was beautiful on fire, all twisted metal stretching upwards, everything washed in a thin orange haze. I said 'Kiss me here beautiful, be these are truly the last days'. You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever."

Europe "The Final Countdown"

"Everyday is like Sunday" isn't about an impending apocalypse. It's about living in a boring tourist town with shitty weather.

Well, I never said that the song had to be about the apocalypse. I just said that for some odd reason, it makes me think of it.

Not sure, but I know that if I know the exact moment the world is going to end I am playing one song:

"Life's been good" by Joe Walsh

That song on the episode of the simpsons, with the meteor coming and they sing "Ce sera sera" (sp). Something gives me the feeling i'll be singing that when the end of the world begins.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

What's that old standard at the end of Dr. Strangelove? Because that's my pick.

Dark Lotus - "Ali Baba"

Ministry-Scarecrow (Actually the whole Psalm 69 Album, as well as all of The Land of Rape and Honey)

Grateful Dead-Morning Dew

Boyd Rice-Disneyland Can Wait

Red House Painters-Three Legged Cat

Also, dark ambient music, especially Lustmord, Merzbow's "Music for Bondage Performance" albums, Zoviet France, Rapoon, Nocternal Emissions, and anything off of the Cold Meat Indistries label.

Skinny Puppy's "Last Rights" album

Butthole Surfer's "Locust Abortion Technician" album

Ok folks, albums count too now.