TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hadley

WWE DVDs

Guest Hadley

Does anyone think that the wwe is putting out these dvds of guys like roberts, hart, etc as a way to stick it to tape traders? I mean, why buy a jake roberts comp tape from a tape trader when you can get a compilation in dvd quality, complete with comments from jaker himself?

I daresay that the release of these Roberts/Hart/etc. "comp" DVD's by WWE has nothing to do at all with sticking it to tape traders, as most of these traders will buy the product anyway, as we all want the footage in the very best quality possible. WWE, while pretty much sucking at everything else at the moment, is at least doing one thing right - their DVD's are top-notch and almost always worth purchasing. They're taking advantage of their tape library to a great benefit, and we're just eating up these releases as they come out. Here's hoping we'll get even more quality stuff from them in '06 . . .

They saw how the Flair sold and they're seeing money in the old timers again. If there wasn't money to be made in it Vince wouldn't be doing it.

Actually, any WWE dvds I've checked haven't been copygaurded. So that's a bonus to tape traders

Guest Super Leather

Kinda funny how WWE DVDs are not copyguarded, but ROH DVDs are. You'd think it would be the other way around. It kinda sucks...I have a deal going on with a friend of mine where he tapes Raw for me, and I copy the best matches and promos off of the DVDs I buy. I really wanted to make an awesome ROH comp video for him so he could see what it was like, but nooooooooo.

But he's gotten plenty of old WWF, ECW, NWA, and Japan stuff from me, so I suppose he can deal.

Guest Brian

Well, the WWE is really only making money in two areas right now: the foreign market (through tours and PPV buys) and merchandise (DVDs included). Nothing from TV (accept UPN, which they are losing) nor domestic market (attendance is low, huge cutbacks in house shows (including both brand, they only ran 11 house shows last month in five weekends). So you can expect that they'd try to milk whatever markets they have available, especially when you come of the opinion that this is a naturally correcting down period where any profit you can top out before the big boom comes up.

Guest Super Leather
Even if WWE did copyright their DVD's there are numerous programs that will break through it in a matter of minutes.

You don't say...Will these same programs break through the ROH copy protection? Tell me more. My friend deserves to see Paul London almost kill himself in the name of getting ROH mutants to scream "FIVE STAR MATCH!" after kicking out of 8 million powerbombs off of a ladder...in bootlegged form.

Sorry if it's a dumb question...I'm not the most tech-savvy about these things, ya know?

Dude, I can practically guarrantee you guys I could bust through that ROH copyguard with ease. I have DVD Shrink, it'll remove the copy protection. So if anyone's got some ROH goodness with Joe by all means PM me and we can arrange something.

Guest Super Leather

Perhaps I should elaborate...I have my DVD player hooked up into my VCR. I copy from DVD to video for my buddy, and the results are mostly good. If I try to do the same thing with ROH DVDs (or this 5-disc Wrestling Gold set I have), the screen goes blank. If these programs work with the players, then awesome...but I have a feeling you guys might be referring to computer programs.

Yes, I am old-fashioned and still work with VHS tapes.

Back on topic, I would think that if you were really that into it, you'd consult the tape traders anyway. That's where you're going to get more obscure stuff that WWE might not be able to use for their DVDs. There aren't any Black Tiger matches on the Eddie Guerrero DVD, after all.

Perhaps I should elaborate...I have my DVD player hooked up into my VCR. I copy from DVD to video for my buddy, and the results are mostly good. If I try to do the same thing with ROH DVDs (or this 5-disc Wrestling Gold set I have), the screen goes blank. If these programs work with the players, then awesome...but I have a feeling you guys might be referring to computer programs.

Yes, I am old-fashioned and still work with VHS tapes.

Back on topic, I would think that if you were really that into it, you'd consult the tape traders anyway. That's where you're going to get more obscure stuff that WWE might not be able to use for their DVDs. There aren't any Black Tiger matches on the Eddie Guerrero DVD, after all.

There is a Black Tiger match on Benoit's DVD, though.

Older WWE and WWF dvds definitely had copy protection.

I know for sure dvd's like Foley's Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops, Hulk Still Rules, Rey Mysterio 619, and Shawn Michaels From the Vault all had it.

The first WWE dvd I know of without copyguard was "Undertaker: He Buries Them Alive" which came out on dvd last year.