TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

Sirius Radio

I got this Starmate replay thing and the home kit so I can transport it between the house/car. A few questions:

1) I heard the reception isn't as good on the "plug and play" units, as opposed to a boom box or something stationary. Is this true?

2) How the hell do I hook this up with the homekit? Do I have to plug it into a regular stereo system or what?

1.) I think the boom box is probably better, but the reception inside of a house is never great unless you have your antenna right by a window.

2.) You need to have it plug into some type of stereo that has an auxilery plug (it will just say AUX on it), if you don't then you either have to A.) buy one B.) wait until the boombox for the Starmate comes out in February C.) get the Sportster with Boombox.

Yeah, but the manual is terrible, and the prick at Radio Shack had no idea what he was talking about.

Which kind of unit did you get LoadedGlove? I'll mostly be listening to it in my room before classes, so I'll probably just get a boombox and pray that the reception is decent.

I got the Sportster with the Boombox, I really like it. It costs a little more then the Starmate but it's good.

What I really need is a portable player, but Sirius' current portable player is awful, so I guess I'll have to wait.

Which is what I am going to do. I looked at all of the options and I just was not impressed. Seeing how I drive a lot, especially in the morning and afternoon hours, I want a unit that is truly portable, going from my car to my delivery truck and back again.

Guest JRos81

Using the AUX plugs isn't always necessary because the unit should have a built-in wireless FM transmitter that will send it over FM frequencies. I have my receiver (Xact Stream Jockey) plugged into my main stereo using the AUX inputs, but with the transmitter I am able to pick up Sirius on any radio in the house. So in short, AUX inputs or the boombox are the best bets, but it's still possible to get a good sound without them.

Edited by JRos81