TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hadley

Arrested Development

So American Idol is clearly the most entertaining thing on the entire planet. And shitty pop stars like Britney Spears are the best musicians of the past 5 years, even though no one listens to their music anymore.

What's entertaining is a matter of opinion. If it entertains more people than anything on the planet, than guess what, it is the most entertaining thing on the planet, regardless of whether you agree or not.

How hard is this to understand really? 5 is a bigger number than 4. That's a fact. Friends isn't funny. That's an opinion. Can everyone see how clear it is?

:rolleyes:

Everybody's missing the point.

The point of me bringing up McDonald's was to show that majority rule is not a good way to determine quality, since the quality of McDonald's food is clearly subpar.

The point of me bringing up the vast popularity of "Friends" was to show that the general consensus of opinion is that is was a really good show. "Friends" was a good show, but not as good as most people act like it was. Hence, it was over-rated.

Give me a break, I only used the 'universal quality' line because I thought it went with 'bit on the bum' whereas say, 'universal popularity' doesn't at all. As for comparing the TV show & Food Chain Restaurant? Two examples sounds better than one is the only point I stopped to consider. Can't I make a rubbish, non-serious and throwaway post in peace without any irrelevant nitpicking?

Or, at least, it is far more over-rated than "Arrested Development", which relies on being genuinely clever to be funny, rather than relying on catch-phrases and sarcastic dialogue. The entire strength of "Friends" was its cast, who worked really hard to make mediocre plots and predictable punchlines seem funnier than they actually were

I thought the exactly the same two things as Plagiarism mentioned earlier when I watched AD

1. What a god awful idea this narration is.

2. That bald guy isn't funny.

No one's going to remember American Idol or many of the other fads 10 years from now. AD, which is many peoples' favorite show ever, will be.

Nielson ratings are completely fucked.

People advertise to the lowest common denominator.

And AD is inherently, and in every way, at least 10 times funnier than two and a half men, which gets 10 times AD's ratings.

As I said look at the DVD sales. They indicate that a very large percentage of the people who have been exposed to AD absolutely love it. There's a difference between people watching something just because it's on CBS, and someone actively seeking out a show because it's excellent.

I wasn't counting magazines like Entertainment Weekly or internet sites which probably do like AD better.

This is just my take on it, but the hype NBC gave "Friends" (plus the "pull-at-your-heart-strings" ad campaign, coverage on the Today Show, fucking Oprah, etc.) exceeded the hype "Raymond" got from CBS (which was more along the lines of "hey, this is the last chance to see a new episode of this funny show" rather than "spend one last evening for the 6 people who've been such a big part of your life for the last 10 years and you'll miss them so much...pass me a tissue"), or "Fraiser" got from NBC this past year. NBC was acting like the last episode of "Friends" was the most important event in the history of television, and it got quite sickening. I was also basing that on a random sampling of people I know who ALL just thought "Friends" was so goddamn funny (my parents, wife, wife's family, kids at school, co-workers, etc.).

Fraiser is off the air? That makes me sad. Also Friends has its moments.

About McDonalds, when I still ate meat, I would take a double cheeseburger over a steak.

About McDonalds, when I still ate meat, I would take a double cheeseburger over a steak.

And that's why you're clearly not man enough to eat meat.

2. That bald guy isn't funny.

ARE YOU FUCKING DAFT.

I THOUGHT HE WAS FUCKING RUBBISH AND SUPREMELY IRRITATING MYSELF BUT YOU OBVIOUSLY FIERCELY DISAGREE.

Which is cool. :)

Anorak, you need to watch you some Mr. Show.

Never seen it. Not sure when or even if it was ever shown over here in the UK. Looks like it could be fun.

I'll try watching AD properly from the very beginning some time and see if it clicks. It's easy to be hasty in dismissing a really acclaimed show sometimes when it doesn't do it for you straight away.

Really, you have to watch from the beginning to get all the jokes. Definitely the show's biggest stumbling block.

David Cross's (aka the bald guy's) production company is called liberal Jew-run productions. It's currently being sued, which means a judge has to call to order the case of 'humourless ass-fuck vs Liberal Jew-Run Productions. How awesome is that?

Can't I make a rubbish, non-serious and throwaway post in peace without any irrelevant nitpicking?

Have we met?

Having got the first Series of AD for Christmas, I was watching it in the living room when my housemate walked in, watched about 5 minutes and walked off, telling me "It's just more obvious unfunny Americans!". My housemate is an idiot

To me, the joy of the show is in the performances. Jason Bateman is an immensely likable "straight man" stuck with his idiot family, especially when confronted with the more OTT characters, his interaction with GOB especially. David Cross is excellent at the visual comedy he's given (his "catlike" attempt at robbing a blind lawyer and his Mary Poppins-style leap from the balcony spring to mind) and even the less in your face characters like Lindsay or George Michael are great, just due to the comic timing of the actors playing them. Plus the guest stars are always fun. The Fonz as a sleazy lawyer? Brilliant. And as for Tony Wonder...

All of my friends were together for Christmas, and one of them wanted to check out the first season while we were both in town. We ended up watching it at a friend of ours, and surprisingly, a diverse amount of people really enjoyed it, including, but not limited to, a big lurch of a former high school football player/Mississippi State frat guy and a really stupid reggae/pop music pothead tool.

He owned the TV, or else I would have never showed it to him.

I just finished watching all of season one. I really liked the way a one-liner about Saddam Hussein's palace from an episode earlier in the season got turned into an entire storyline at the end of the season.

I just finished watching all of season one. I really liked the way a one-liner about Saddam Hussein's palace from an episode earlier in the season got turned into an entire storyline at the end of the season.

Yep, that's what I love about this show. Just wait until they get to the five-second joke about a seal.

Cool for Fox to fuck with their schedule until this afternoon. My DVR guide had House listed for 8-9, but I held out hope because Fox's website still listed two new episodes tonight. Guess which one they went with.

I just caught a funny bumper on Adult Swim, it went-

Arrested Development

Genius

Cancelled

Maybe we should put it on

It wouldn't be the first thing we showed that was trashed by FOX

According to Broadcasting and Cable, Fox will air the final episodes of "Arrested Development" (for the season) in a 2-hour bloc on Friday, February 10.

YES!

I knew they wouldn't be stupid enough to hold onto them until the DVD.

Sucks that we've gotta wait four fucking weeks for them though.

Remember, these are the same fuckers that were going to make us wait six months for more Prison Break, before "generously" reducing the wait to four months...

My sister and I spent a few weeks watching the whole series. We got caught up last Sunday, in time for when I thought the 50th episode would air. That didn't work out so well.

February 10th is the same day as the Olympic opening ceremony. I guess that sums up the show's future on Fox.

Some kids made a video presentation for the faculty at my school. The title card music was "The Final Countdown".

Everyone wondered why I suddenly started laughing really, really hard.

The attorney gets actor Judge Reinhold to preside over the mock case.

Expect a whiny anti-Arrested Development rant from Kevin Smith.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=12781

Showtime Arrested Talks Confirmed

Source: Variety

January 20, 2006

Showtime entertainment president Robert Greenblatt told Variety that the cable channel is in talks to pick up Arrested Development from Fox. "We're very interested in making it work for us," said Greenblatt.

"We're having productive conversations with Twentieth, but we're a step shy of closing a deal," Greenblatt said -- but a pair of major obstacles could still botch plans.

"(Creator Mitch Hurwitz) has not yet said, 'I want to continue to do the show,'" Greenblatt stated, adding Hurwitz's participation would be required if Showtime were to produce new episodes. "Also, 20th is asking for substantially more (coin) than what Fox is paying to license the show. It's very expensive."

"That said, it certainly fits what we do, and I'm a big fan of the show," the executive continued. "We're all trying very hard to make it happen."

Greenblatt insisted that bringing over the ratings-challenged comedy to Showtime made sense: "If even only a fraction of the Fox audience came to Showtime, it'd be a hit show for us."