TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Most forgettable stint in a promotion

Bulldog in WCW, he was involved in a few angles before the back injury but none of his work there during that stint would be included on any tribute DVD.

The same can be said for many of the upper midcard guys who made the jump at the same sort of time, I think.

Bret's stint also yielded precious little, Perfect never bettered his early 90s WWF run, Jake, DiBiase, Earthquake/Avalanche/Shark....Overall WCW was a stifling promotion for established WWF talent in the 90s.

How about Techno Team 2000 in WWF '96? Blinked and you missed them.

Speaking of Harvey Wippleman, did he ever manage anyone halfway decent? It seems like he was always stuck with lame gimmicky heels that lasted for two months before disappearing.

Harvey seemed to be paired with monster heels who would look more impressive next to his diminuative frame.

Harvey managed Sid for a brief time in 92 before Sid left. I guess you could say that was the closest he got to managing an over heel but even Sid left after a month or two under Harvey's tutelage.

I don't think Fred Durst should count, he didn't even sit ringside at an ECW show IIRC. It was supposed to be a one off celebrity cameo. If you count that than you can count Ben Stiller's appearence on Raw getting hit in the head with a guitar by Jeff Jarrett or Gary Coleman's appearence in WCW. All it was was Steve Corino walked on stage during a Limp Bizkit concert and started talking trash. BTW, if that was supposed to get Corino over as a heel, it failed for me. Cause trash talking Limp Bizkit only makes me like someone more.

Speaking of Harvey Wippleman, did he ever manage anyone halfway decent? It seems like he was always stuck with lame gimmicky heels that lasted for two months before disappearing.

I think the highest profile wrestler he ever managed was Giant Gonzales. So the answer would be no.

Wasn't Jenna Jameson in ECW for a while?

Yeah, she was the returning Blue Meanie's valet.

You're thinking of Jasmin St. Claire.

Jenna was around for a minute though.

Jenna Jameson only appeared on one or two shows, in ECW, IIRC. It wasn't like she was going to be a regular performer for ECW or anything. She also appeared with Val Venis in one promo video.

Furnas and Lafon (Dan Kroffat) were both awesome wrestlers...I really wish they had lasted longer in WWF. They had a very good TV match again Owen and Bulldog, if I remember right. I liked their gimmick where they were nicknamed "The World's Most Exciting Tag Team" or something and would come out to a very bland entrance and show no personality. If they had broken into the WWF five to ten years earlier, they probably would've been huge stars in the US, but they came in right as "Attitude" was starting to take shape and "regular" wrestlers were becoming passe.

Its sad to think Tazz's biggest WWE claim to fame is SmackDown. He had his forgettable Lawler feud (which could of lead to a decent tag team with Raven, but didnt). Too bad he got injured so early in his run, or else we could have seen some badass Tazz/Benoit bouts that were rumored.

All in all, Tazz in WWE was and is forgettable

-Cheex

Tony Schavonie as a WWF play by play from 89 to 90 was a strange one.

Molly Holly in WCW as Miss Madness.

Jake Roberts in WCW, I think his only match was with Sting.

Public Enemy in the WWF, they got the shit kicked out of them by the Acolytes legit in a match on Heat. Fun stuff.

Furnas and Lafon (Dan Kroffat) were both awesome wrestlers...I really wish they had lasted longer in WWF. They had a very good TV match again Owen and Bulldog, if I remember right. I liked their gimmick where they were nicknamed "The World's Most Exciting Tag Team" or something and would come out to a very bland entrance and show no personality. If they had broken into the WWF five to ten years earlier, they probably would've been huge stars in the US, but they came in right as "Attitude" was starting to take shape and "regular" wrestlers were becoming passe.

They never had any real chance of getting over in the WWF, or at least as over as they could've been, as one of them - i think Dan Kroffat - had a totally fucked back by the time they arrived due to working so hard in Japan. Plus they weren't allowed to book their own really long awesome finishes like they'd been able to do in AJPW.

Its sad to think Tazz's biggest WWE claim to fame is SmackDown. He had his forgettable Lawler feud (which could of lead to a decent tag team with Raven, but didnt). Too bad he got injured so early in his run, or else we could have seen some badass Tazz/Benoit bouts that were rumored.

All in all, Tazz in WWE was and is forgettable

-Cheex

He could be better remembered for ending Kurt Angle's undefeated streak. Rarely mentioned, unfortunately.

What did Chris Daniels do in ECW?

Lita, also was in ECW for a while in '00.

I think the highest profile wrestler he ever managed was Giant Gonzales. So the answer would be no.

I gotta say Sid would be higher profile, if for no other reason than that Harvey was in Sid's corner against Hogan for the final match at WM8. I remember Harvey trying to do a big entrance spiel for Sid, but his microphone didn't work for the first 2/3 of the speech.

Guest DuDe
Oh and I'm surprised no one's mentioned HHH in WCW...I'm good!

God damnit, I was just about to post that! It would be hilarious for Trips to return as Terra Ryzing on a Halloween show or something.

Anyway, AJ Styles in WCW, he was there just before they were bought by the WWE.

He was a huge muscleman (powerlifter or body builder can't remember), they were hyping him to be the next big thing and I don't even think he wrestled more than a match or two.

He also had a very forgettable stint in ECW as well.

How about "Dr. Death" Steve Williams in WWF in 98? His gimmick was supposed to be that he was a bad ass tough guy and he got the shit knocked out of him in the first round of Brawl for it All by Bart freakin Gunn.

For that matter, how about Steve Williams in WCW circa late 99/early 00? All he did was have an "epic" feud with Vampiro and The Misifits, over what? I can't remember. He also was managed by the Jim Ross spoof and (shudder) former WCW Cruiserweight Champion, Oklahoma.

Regal in the WWF during 98/99.

That's memorable to me for one reason:

One night...I THINk on Sunday Night Heat, Regal called out any REAL man to come out and knock his hard hat off his head.

And out comes Goldust.