TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Best season in Twins' Franchise history: Walter Johnson, 1913. 36-7, 1.14 ERA, 346 IP, 11 shutouts, 38 BBs, 243 Ks. 5th best season since 1901.

Since leaving Washington, it's Harmon Killebrew in 1967. .269 batting average, 44 home runs, 113 RBIs and 131 walks. This was in a year when the league hit .236 and slugged .351 as a whole.

ABC Sports is getting reduced to nothing in short order. They gave up hockey two years ago, they lost the BCS (except the Rose Bowl) and the NFL last year, and golf this year. They don't carry baseball, tennis, NASCAR, or the Olympics. They have college basketball, but only a few regular season games.

Their five biggest properties at the end of this year, in order, are the NBA, regular season college football (plus the Rose Bowl), regular season college basketball, US open-wheel auto racing (i.e. the IRL and Champ Car) and FIGURE SKATING.

That sucks.

Guest Vitamin X
ABC Sports is getting reduced to nothing in short order. They gave up hockey two years ago, they lost the BCS (except the Rose Bowl) and the NFL last year, and golf this year. They don't carry baseball, tennis, NASCAR, or the Olympics. They have college basketball, but only a few regular season games.

Their five biggest properties at the end of this year, in order, are the NBA, regular season college football (plus the Rose Bowl), regular season college basketball, US open-wheel auto racing (i.e. the IRL and Champ Car) and FIGURE SKATING.

That sucks.

Well yeah, but ABC sports does kind of suck.

Why are the other networks so against having baseball?

The playoffs start right as everything is premiering. It's hard to get any momentum for a new show when it won't be on for a few weeks.

How the hell did ANTHONY MASON lead the Knicks in win shares when Patrick Ewing and John Starts were in their prime in 96?

Because he was awesome?

And also because 96 was the Don Nelson 3/4 season. He built the offense around Mason's point-forward skills.

Actually looking at it, Nelson was 34-25 that year, so it's not like the team was bad, it's just that he built the offense around Anthony Mason and Hubert Davis which really pissed people (Ewing) off.

As I mentioned in the divisional playoff thread, the Panthers are the first team since the '89 Rams to reach the NFC Championship game as a Wild Card which is surprising when it seems like it's a yearly occurance in the AFC. The Rams met their long time rivals and defending World Champion 49ers. It was the rubber match for that season as the Rams had won in San Francisco on a last second field goal in September and the 49ers came back from 17 point, 4th quarter deficit in a classic Monday Night game in Anaheim in December. That was the game John Taylor had two 90+ yard touchdown catch and runs which is to this day the only time in history a player has had two 90+ yard plays from scrimmage in the same game.

So it was supposed to be a great game and as typical the media focus was on the team's quarterbacks, Joe Montana and Jim Everett. It was built as the Quarterback of the 80's vs. the Quarterback of the 90's by some. No really. I'm not making that up. Jim Everett: Quarterback of the 90's. Wouldn't work out too well for Jim that day or that decade, 49ers won 30-3 and Everett didn't live up to the hype altough he did make it to the Pro Bowl in 1990 so hey he had that going for him. Poor Jim of course is now remembered best for his infamous 1994 apperance on Jim Rome's espn2 show where he pushed Rome to the ground for repeatedly calling him "Chris Everett."

Jim was also the first quarterback take in 1986 draft by the Houston Oilers which was unusual since they already had Warren Moon at the time. Everett held out and was traded to the Rams shortly after the season started. So here's the quarterbacks of the 1986 draft.

First Round

3. Jim Everett, Purdue (Oilers)

12. Chuck Long, Iowa (Lions)

Second Round

47. Jack Trudeau, Illinois (Colts)

Third Round

67. Bubby Brister, NE Louisiana (Steelers)

71. Hugh Millen, Washington (Rams)

72. Robbie Bosco, BYU (Packers)

Fourth Round

99. Doug Gaynor, Long Beach State (Bengals)

Sixth Round

146. Mark Rypien, Washington State (Redskins)

150. Stan Gelbaugh, Maryland (Cowboys)

Seventh Round

174. Mike Norseth, Kansas (Browns)

Tenth Round

274. Jeff Wickersham, LSU (Dolphins)

Eleventh Round

280. Chris Hegg, NE Missouri State (Falcons)

291. David Norrie, UCLA (Seahawks)

Twelth Round

312. Kent Austin, Mississippi (Cardinals)

313. Brain McClure, Bowling Green (Bills)

316. Steve Bradley, Indiana (Bengals)

There really was too many rounds back then.

Not to nitpick but Jim Everett was the third overall pick. Bo Jackson went number one to the Buccaneers.

1986 is also the year the Saints drafted four running backs.

Dalton Hilliard, Rueben Mayes, Barry Word, and Gill Fenerty.

As I mentioned in the divisional playoff thread, the Panthers are the first team since the '89 Rams to reach the NFC Championship game as a Wild Card which is surprising when it seems like it's a yearly occurance in the AFC. The Rams met their long time rivals and defending World Champion 49ers. It was the rubber match for that season as the Rams had won in San Francisco on a last second field goal in September and the 49ers came back from 17 point, 4th quarter deficit in a classic Monday Night game in Anaheim in December. That was the game John Taylor had two 90+ yard touchdown catch and runs which is to this day the only time in history a player has had two 90+ yard plays from scrimmage in the same game.

That Rams team will always be on my shit list because of the Flipper Anderson playoff game against the Giants. I believe the game was played on New Year's Eve (Edit: Jan 7) and I still remember Anderson bumping into a fat guy before running down the tunnel into the clubhouse after catching the TD. For those who don't know, Bill Parcells called the 89 Giants the most talented team he ever coached and was certain they were going to win the SB. To this day, he calls it the most disappointing game of his career

That sucks.

They should run boxing...it brought in decent ratings for NBC the past couple of Summers.

Why are the other networks so against having baseball?

I know, and that's the sport that needs to be rescued the most now.

But yeah, ABC Sports is the new NBC Sports, I guess, when they just stopped giving a shit from 2002 to 2005.

Fox has the most coverage, so naturally their presentation is the most annoying. It's so gimmicky. Idiots probably like it. "WHOA! LOOKIT THAT! IT'S CHRISMAS AND THEY GOT A SNOW PLOW ON THE TOP! HEMI!"

if Carolina and Pittsburgh both make it to the Superbowl, would it be the first time both teams had to play every playoff game on the road to get there? I don't see Pittsburgh doing it, but the possibility is still there.

My guess on baseball's issue with national coverage is that it's still very much of a regional sport and the regional demand doesn't quite add up to enough dollars to justify constant national coverage over such a long season. The regional networks - WGN, Fox Sports - can turn over more money with limited coverage than a major network could by putting it on a national scope.

Not only that, but baseball games during the week would be taking the spots of some of the primary ratings winners for the majors, even in the afternoon.

I think the best thing for MLB to do would be to follow the NFL's route and make their own network, with round-the-clock coverage. Not only could they provide national coverage for games that you might not necessarily see, but they could cover baseball that's played in the offseason, like the Arizona Fall League or other winter leagues.

Guest Smues

'Quite Frankly' is being moved to I think I heard 11PM EST. Hopefully the ratings drop even worse and they just outright cancel the stupid show. HOW-EVA, there's always the chance more people will watch the later timeslot. Hopefully not.

My guess on baseball's issue with national coverage is that it's still very much of a regional sport and the regional demand doesn't quite add up to enough dollars to justify constant national coverage over such a long season. The regional networks - WGN, Fox Sports - can turn over more money with limited coverage than a major network could by putting it on a national scope.

Not only that, but baseball games during the week would be taking the spots of some of the primary ratings winners for the majors, even in the afternoon.

I think the best thing for MLB to do would be to follow the NFL's route and make their own network, with round-the-clock coverage. Not only could they provide national coverage for games that you might not necessarily see, but they could cover baseball that's played in the offseason, like the Arizona Fall League or other winter leagues.

I don't think there's enough of a market for an MLB network for the reasons you specified. ESPN is basically the MLB network in the summer, when it comes to lots of national games (I think they have to at least try to cover all 30 teams in the agreement), if people wanted the AFL and winter ball, I'm sure YES, NESN, and friends could find a few hours to put it.

The only national coverage that's really needed is October and a few games of the week on Saturday afternoons. In Fox's case, the Saturday games aren't wiping out ratings winners; that time is usually thrown to the affiliates to fill with Buffy or M*A*S*H reruns. I don't know what the other three do offhand, but it's never anything crucial, because most people are spending Saturdays in May and June outside enjoying the weather.

"If you wanna call me Chris to my face one more time, you better take a station break."

Big ups to Jim Rome for being a Troll on national tv :asshole2:

Jim Everett : Dama :: Jim Rome : TSM?

On second thought, maybe an MLB channel wouldn't be so bad, if they take over from ESPN Classic in terms of old games and TWIB reruns.

They also can show minor league games, games from the Arizona fall league, games from Latin America and other parts of the world.

Since Culloden Hastings (Vern) requested it, here are the top ten seasons in Twins' franchise history...

1. Walter Johnson, 1913

2. Walter Johnson, 1912

3. Walter Johnson, 1915

t-4. Walter Johnson, 1914

t-4. Walter Johnson, 1918

t-4. Harmon Killebrew, 1967

7. Rod Carew, 1977

t-8. Walter Johnson, 1910

t-8. Walter Johnson, 1916

10. Joe Cronin, 1931

Wanna take a guess at who the franchise leader in win shares is? I'll do a Minnesota-only list in the future. That I need to compile manually.

Awww I already did it. Actually I did it the other night but didn't bother posting it.

Minnesota Twins with 30+ Win Shares in a season.

1965 Tony Oliva 33

1965 Zolio Versalles 32

1966 Harmon Killebrew 33

1967 Harmon Killebrew 38

1969 Harmon Killebrew 34

1970 Harmon Killebrew 30

1970 Tony Oliva 30

1974 Rod Carew 32

1975 Rod Carew 30

1976 Rod Carew 30

1977 Rod Carew 37

1988 Kirby Puckett 32

1992 Kirby Puckett 31

1996 Chuck Knoblauch 32

With the conference championships this Sunday I thought an interesting useless list would be to trying to research who were the MVPs of each conference championship game since there is no such award. But I've run into a lot problems researching older NFL games. It's amazing how sparse old NFL data is as trying to find complete boxscores is a serious pain. Here's what I've come across so far:

Football @ JT-SW.com

Has complete boxscores since 1994, although no individual defensive stats.

The NFL History Network

Whoever was running the site seemingly abandoned it and it doesn't always work. Has line scores for almost every game in NFL History but no stats to the games, just the scoring summaries. One cool thing is the 1970's line scores have a brief game summary for every game.

databaseFootball.com

Much better football research site than the thin pro-football-reference.com, it has boxscores going back to 1983 but only list team stats for the games.

But I did find one gem out there...if your a Denver Broncos fan.

Denver Broncos Gamebooks

This site has images of Gamebooks to every Bronco game...ever. You can find individual defensive stats and detailed play-by-play data to all of their games. It's unbelievable. Why isn't there more of this out there?

Since the Steelers have become the 2nd team (Carolina the 3rd?) ever to win three road playoff games to get to the Super Bowl here's some useless stuff from the 1985 season when the Patriots pulled off the feat.

1985 Pro Bowlers by team

Chicago: Jim Covert, Richard Dent, Dave Duerson, Dan Hampton, Jay Hilgenberg, Jim McMahon, Walter Payton, Mike Singletary, Otis Wilson

L.A. Rams: Jim Collins, Gary Green, Dennis Harrah, Kent Hill, LeRoy Irvin, Jackie Slater, Doug Smith

Dallas: Doug Cosbie, Tony Hill, Everson Walls, Randy White

N.Y. Giants: Harry Carson, Leonard Marshall, Joe Morris, Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor

San Francisco: Michael Carter, Roger Craig, Joe Montana, Fred Quillan, Carlton Williams, Eric Wright

Washington: Rus Grimm, Joe Jacoby, Art Monk

Green Bay: James Lofton

Philadelphia: Wes Hopkins, Mike Quick

Minnesota: Joey Browner

Detroit: None

St. Louis: E.J. Junior

New Orleans: Rickey Jackson

Atlanta: Gerald Riggs

Tampa Bay: Jimmie Giles

New England: Raymond Clayborn, Irving Fryar, John Hannah, Brian Holloway, Craig James, Fred Marion, Steve Nelson, Andre Tippett

Miami: Mark Clayton, Roy Foster, Dan Marino, Dwight Stephenson

L.A. Raiders: Marcus Allen, Todd Christensen, Mike Haynes, Howie Long

Cleveland: Chip Banks, Bob Golic, Kevin Mack, Clay Matthews, Ozzie Newsome

N.Y. Jets: Mark Gastineau, Joe Klecko, Freeman McNeil, Lance Mehl, Ken O'Brien

Denver: Rulon Jones, Karl Mecklenburg, Dennis Smith, Louis Wright

Seattle: Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Fredd Young

San Diego: Wes Chandler, Dan Fouts

Cincinnati: Anthony Munoz

Pittsburgh: Louis Lipps, Mark Merriweather, Mike Webster

Kansas City: Deron Cherry

Indianapolis: Chris Hinton

Houston: Mike Munchak