TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

I think Bill Simmons should just stop writing after that bullshit. Keep that crap off a national stage. He has nothing left to offer. Anybody can namecheck Georges Muresan, The Karate Kid, and then bitch about his own team winning. Just don't bother.

There's no real pain involved in that home run for me. It just came up in a conversation and I thought it was cool enough to share.

The Aaron Boone home run is part of the Red Sox narrative, circa 2003-04. After Mitch Williams the vilification of goats ended, at least as far as performance. Mental gaffs are still fair game. Tim Wakefield wasn't the goat in that game anyway. The real Red Sox pain comes from the eighth inning.

True. Aaron Boone is the lasting mental image, but no one faults Tim Wakefield. The real goat is Grady Little, who inexplicably left Pedro in when he was dead tired. Pedro knew it. The front office knew it. Every Boston fan across the nation knew it.

Sure, 04 and 07 have exercised a lot of these demons, but the fact remains Grady Little cost the Sox the LCS that year and quite possibly the World Series. That screwup will never be forgotten. Had they won that year, we'd be discussing the Red Sox dynasty.

But given that you've won two World Series, I would hope the pain is gone.

I mean, the Braves winning again would finally allow me to forgive a certain home run in the 1996 WS that I do not speak of

But given that you've won two World Series, I would hope the pain is gone.

I mean, the Braves winning again would finally allow me to forgive a certain home run in the 1996 WS that I do not speak of

I know the pain is gone for me, aided by the successes of the Patriots.

Dennis Green is looking to trademark the phrase "They are who we though they were."

No, seriously: Here's the official trademark request. The request, made in Green's name by his lawyer, seeks to put the phrase on "Hats, caps, baseball caps, knitted caps, golf caps, sports jerseys, t-shirts, polo shirts, sport shirts, sweatshirts, golf shirts, sweat bands, sweat pants, jogging pants." All told, that's a lot of words to fit on a sweatband, but hey, what do we know?

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

For the jogging pants, I'd have gone with "Crown my ass." It'll look great on college girls!

For the jogging pants, I'd have gone with "Crown my ass." It'll look great on college girls!

I'm eagerly awaiting the line of "I'm a man. I'm forty!" gear.

Hell yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

It's easier to just direct you to that page. Believe me.

Anyone else find it funny that old sportswriters and media types almost faint at the word OPS, as if it were some devilish concoction of basement-dwelling nerds who think they know everything, but openly embrace the passer rating, which is the most convulated and complex stat known to man?

Cheech, passer rating is criticized. It's criticized less and for no real reason, but it receives it's fair share. Or a share, anyway.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player...ctid=1328195313

That was a 4th and 7ish play to save our High School Football team's season in the regional semi-final. our QB was recruited by USF but after they had a really good season they set their heights a little higher, which is a shame. I'm disapointed with this clip though, because my friends and I are just out of the picture. and yeah, I know I'm the only one that gives a fuck.

CanadianGuitarist can vouch on this.

There are moments in sports where it can be re-created, but the greatest sports moment ever is the 1986 Masters Final. Not even being a fan favourite of any sport can recreate that day. Sure there are milestones and championships played out, but to see a legend be forgotten and see the legend come back and win will never happen again.

CanadianGuitarist can vouch on this.

There are moments in sports where it can be re-created, but the greatest sports moment ever is the 1986 Masters Final. Not even being a fan favourite of any sport can recreate that day. Sure there are milestones and championships played out, but to see a legend be forgotten and see the legend come back and win will never happen again.

It's number 8 on my all-time top 10 that you asked me in college, which I think I started a thread here for.

And speaking of golf, it's contributing to what is going to be, for me, one of the best sports weekends in recent memory. NFL Playoffs, start of the PGA Tour season, World Juniors, Habs play in the afternoon, and I have an unheard-of whole weekend off.

Browsing through Borders today, this book caught my eye.

http://www.amazon.com/Stat-One-Craig-Messm...8661&sr=8-1

It's amazing that Pete Palmer's Hidden Game of Baseball came out 25 years ago with linear weights, and people are still trying to come up with inferior systems claiming they solved anything. Best I could tell from browsing the book, no adjustments whatsoever for park or context. What a waste of time.

So I'm watching the AAFL Draft right now...

The "Team Texas" jersey's are fucking god awful. White jersey.. what appears to be a grey shoulder area in between burnt orange trim on the neckline and arms with maroon lettering and numbering.

Oh, we also just selected Eric Crouch as our first pick. 3rd overall.

We're doomed.

Browsing through Borders today, this book caught my eye.

http://www.amazon.com/Stat-One-Craig-Messm...8661&sr=8-1

It's amazing that Pete Palmer's Hidden Game of Baseball came out 25 years ago with linear weights, and people are still trying to come up with inferior systems claiming they solved anything. Best I could tell from browsing the book, no adjustments whatsoever for park or context. What a waste of time.

I had to housesit for my parents this week and they left this book for me, and yes it's pretty awful. The greatest thing about it is the foreword is done by Bill Madden of all people who immediately goes on a rant about "stat geeks":

Before I begin singing the praises her for Craig Messmer's terrific and thought-provoking Stat One, in the interest of full disclosure I have to say I hate what all these stat geeks are doing to baseball. It's like we've totally removed the human element from the game, reducing players to numbers and percentages. Almost every general manager in baseball now employs at least one and usually two or three stat geeks to run numbers on a players before making a trade. Whatever happened to the days when GMs would gather information from their scouts - including perhaps the most important factor of all, the player's makeup - and then consummate deals on cocktail napkins over drinks in the hotel bar?

And it's all downhill from there, although I agree baseball's offseason would more entertaining if we had more GMs making trades while their drunk. What's also great is when it came to ranking his Top 10 players by position the author incorporated MVP Shares which immediately eliminates any objectivity in the results. It seemed to me he probably didn't like the original results his formula produced so he felt he needed a subjective measure to throw in there to make them look better to his own pre-conceived notions.

He also thinks Jim Rice was better than Joe Jackson and Tim Raines.