TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Murmuring Beast

will the world end this year?

I wonder if a meteor will ever hit one of the other planets. I mean, all these movies talk about a meteor on a collision course with Earth, but what if one was on a collision course with Jupiter.

Which planet is the large one covered in gas? A meteor hit that one not too long ago and didn't even make a dent. They said if that meteor hit earth we'd be fucked.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH SPIFF SURRRV'D YA

This is the kind of correcting we need. People actually learn from this, instead of wrapping their shit in a different wrapper.

Which planet is the large one covered in gas? A meteor hit that one not too long ago and didn't even make a dent. They said if that meteor hit earth we'd be fucked.

Pluto.

Pluto is not really a palnet. It's a large comet.

Back in, I believe, 1994, a series of asteroids collided with Jupiter, some many times bigger than earth itself. Jupiter is a beast. I wouldn't worry about anything happening to it.

Funny. Jupiter acts as a shield on our planet. If it weren't for the big orange machine being where it is, our planet wouldn't be able to sustain constant life. Jupiter has our back.

Jupiter is the Diesel to our Shawn Michaels in '94.

Oh fuck...what happens when we give it too many superkicks?!?!?! WE'RE FUCKING DOOMED!!!

...oh, and comets will crash into Earth, unleashing a disease that causes an assload of zombies. Then it'll rain, and the rain will cause our clothes to steam, and aliens will abduct us to help us out. But some will fight them off, being paranoid fucks and not knowing what the deal is.

Pluto is not really a palnet. It's a large comet.

It's classified as 1 at least for now, so I'm correct. Besides, it'd be a Kuiper Belt object, and definitely not a comet. Although, upon further research, it appears they're now using "Trans-Neptunian object" in regards to Pluto, as well as enjoying "planet" status.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH SPIFF SURRRV'D YA

This is the kind of correcting we need. People actually learn from this, instead of wrapping their shit in a different wrapper.

I knew Pluto existed, but I was excluding it from planet status (like gWIL said)

Pluto is not really a planet. It's a large comet.

It's classified as 1 at least for now, so I'm correct. Besides, it'd be a Kuiper Belt object, and definitely not a comet. Although, upon further research, it appears they're now using "Trans-Neptunian object" in regards to Pluto, as well as enjoying "planet" status.

Your gonna make me drag out my Astronomey text book aren't you. The guy that discovered Pluto, now even says it's not a planet.

"Mysteries of the Night Sky" A.M. Klinger (2001) Revised and expanded 2005

Pluto does not seem to fit in with the outer planets, and for that matter, it doesn't fit with any of the eight planets. Pluto is composed of approximately half ice and half rock.

... In the early 1980's many astronomers wanted to label to label it as an asteroid; and, in the early 1990's, when Pluto made it's closest approach to the sun, it appeared to devolop an atmosphere similiar to that of a comet; therefore, it appeared to be a very large comet.

...Pluto is round unlike most asteroids.

...It's moon Charon is 51% the size of Pluto , making it the biggest moon ihn proportion to its parent planet. Charon is 20 times closer to Pluto than our moon is to Earth. Its mass is 16% of Pluto. It is believed that Charon is a broken off piece of Pluto, which further makes it unlikely that Pluto is planet.

...Pluto being classified as a planet has more to do with politics within the scientific community than science itself.

...If one were to classify Pluto based on current science, it has far more in common with comets than planets or asteriods.

The text book was written by my Astronomy teacher, who is one of the most respected authorities in Astronomy in the Midwest.

Edited by gWIL

Back in, I believe, 1994, a series of asteroids collided with Jupiter, some many times bigger than earth itself.

That was comet Hale-Bopp. It broke up as it approached Jupiter, causing multiple impacts.

Wrong one. The Hale-Bopp is still around. The comet that collided with Jupiter was the Shoemaker-Levy9.

The guy that discovered Pluto, now even says it's not a planet.

Clyde Tombaugh's been dead since 1997, so I don't think he's expressed his opinion lately. Regardless, as of right now, it's got "dual citizenship" as a planet & Trans-Neptunian Object. I refuse to call it a comet until it is officially given comet status, regardless of how it appears to behave.

Wrong one. The Hale-Bopp is still around. The comet that collided with Jupiter was the Shoemaker-Levy9.

OK, I'll admit I was wrong here. I couldn't remember the name.

The text book was written by my Astronomey teachers, who is one of the most respected authorities in Astronomey in the midwest.

Pity about your English teacher.

The text book was written by my Astronomey teachers, who is one of the most respected authorities in Astronomey in the midwest.

Pity about your English teacher.

The text book was written by my Astronomy teacher, who is one of the most respected authorities in Astronomy in the Midwest.

Better? English is a joke in High school.