TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

WWE needs to keep the title on John Cena

The only thing that would get Cena cheered now is if he returned to the Cena of old and started cutting the "edgy" promos on people again. But this is a heel thing to do and it's what forced them to turn him face in the first place.

They're almost 99.9% fucked with Cena regardless of where they go with him. A complete gimmick overhaul is really the only way to get a one-sided crowd reaction for him, something the WWE would want.

Just thinking about it earlier, if and when Cena does turn heel, if they keep the rap gimmick, he would most definitely have to get back some of his original edge... but that's what got him fans in the first place, so would it even work out? The raps he does right now don't seem very heelish.

Edit: Wow, Curry actually beat me to it.

Edited by Aero

Here's a surefire way to turn the guy heel: Have him tell the fans that he's done with rapping and the street thug image. That he just wants to be respected for being a good wrestler and for putting on good matches.

Commence booing.

Mmm... So... When Eugene returns lets turn him Champ. Damn, I hate his f'n gimmick, but at least he can get an entertaining match with almost everyone... and use more wrestling moves than Mr. Thuganomics or whatever he calls his Mic Work.

I really hope you aren't serious because damn near none of the heat Eugene's ever gotten comes close to what Cena gets week in and week out.

Of course Im not serious.

I just cant understand how that fabulous Double Standard you guys, or to be honest, some of you guys had about this.

You want right now a boring, zero ring work champ, but... OMG he is soooo over with the fans, it doesnt matter if is Heel heat or face heat. He is Over!!!

But... if someone like... lets say UT or some other usual main eventer will get the same heat, Immediatly you (OK, again, some of you) will jump and cry foul and glass cieling and etc. etc.

When HHH was champ for several months, many people said his matches were boring or plainly bad, but now this guy has AWFUL matches in a regular basis with EVERYONE and had at least TWO horrible and repetitive feuds with Jericho and Angle... well, Its OK because this guys is NEW and has HEAT.

You guys already said it, Hogan had Huge Heat and bad matches and thats BAD, Cena is the same, but its OK for hium.

Im sorry, i just dont get it.

Oh it's inevitable that his movie is going to tank. First, it probably won't be any good anyway. Second, it's obvious his popularity is rapidly fading which won't = $$ at the box office either. Hell, I bet Kane's movie does better.

It's not hard to see why fans are turning on him. He's simply had the belt way too long and there's really no justification for it. I mean shit, just job him for the hell of it and have him regain, at least that keeps a guy fresh. This is not 1984-88 anymore...you can't just keep belts on guys forever.

Exactly.

Oh it's inevitable that his movie is going to tank. First, it probably won't be any good anyway. Second, it's obvious his popularity is rapidly fading which won't = $$ at the box office either. Hell, I bet Kane's movie does better.

It's not hard to see why fans are turning on him. He's simply had the belt way too long and there's really no justification for it. I mean shit, just job him for the hell of it and have him regain, at least that keeps a guy fresh. This is not 1984-88 anymore...you can't just keep belts on guys forever.

Exactly.

Huh? If anything these long titles reigns are a good thing (JBL's included) because it keeps fans suspenseful as to when the title is going to change hands next. Post 1999 the title has meant less because it has changed hands so often (ie guy wins a title, holds it for 3 months,another guy wins a title loses it 2 months later...).

If someone holds the title for a year, I am certain that would mean more than jobbing a guy for the sake of a title change (see Vince Russo booking WCW champs in 1999-2000 if you don't believe me).

I just cant understand how that fabulous Double Standard you guys, or to be honest, some of you guys had about this.

You want right now a boring, zero ring work champ, but... OMG he is soooo over with the fans, it doesnt matter if is Heel heat or face heat. He is Over!!!

But... if someone like... lets say UT or some other usual main eventer will get the same heat, Immediatly you (OK, again, some of you) will jump and cry foul and glass cieling and etc. etc.

When HHH was champ for several months, many people said his matches were boring or plainly bad, but now this guy has AWFUL matches in a regular basis with EVERYONE and had at least TWO horrible and repetitive feuds with Jericho and Angle... well, Its OK because this guys is NEW and has HEAT.

You guys already said it, Hogan had Huge Heat and bad matches and thats BAD, Cena is the same, but its OK for hium.

Im sorry, i just dont get it.

The difference between Cena and someone like Undertaker or another 'usual main eventer' is that he isn't stale. He's not liked for being in a spot the fans don't want him in, but he isn't stale. Cena also shifts a ton of merchandise, sells tickets, and gets regular, if low-key pub.

The difference between Cena and Hunter is that Cena's matches, as bad as they are, have insane heat because of the reactions he generates. Hunter would get a good pop coming out, but that's because the people had been educated to see him as a star and it was almost a complete Pavlovian pop, the same as Undertaker gets. Once the bell rang, unless it was against Batista at WM XXI or their HIAC match, the heat for Hunter's matches was terrible for a main event guy. Cena gets a reaction that Hunter just cannot get anymore; even Hunter's big feud with Flair saw their matches pretty much get crapped on considering who was involved.

The difference between Cena and Hogan is that Hogan's reign saw ratings sink like a stone. Cena's reign hasn't done that.

John Cena is awful. Horrible gimmick, horrible in ring presence, and god damn, that's the worst attempt of a death valley driver that I have ever seen. Orton needs to come to RAW and take the title from him because he's the only one that I have noticed who is worth a damn.

I like the long reigns. I actually hope Cena DOES keep it past WM, mostly cause I'm curious to see what WWE does, since the Raw after would be one year after he won the title

Cenas reign is way too long as is IMO . The fans are starting to turn on him , just turn him heel somehow if they must keep the strap on him . It might work better .

a complete Pavlovian pop

This term needs to catch on. Its a great, but simple, description of what's really going on.

Cena's terribly terribly boring. He gets reactions from eleven year old girls, but people who actually like entertaining wrestlers have just stopped following the product altogether. At this point, I'd take HHH getting a face run with the belt over more Cena.

No point in turning him heel. If he turns heel and gets more of an 'edge', he'll just flip-flop right back to being a watered down face because unfortunately, that's the way things happen and have happened for years. Vince forgets what made Austin so big was that he was the same basic character, face or heel. Ditto Rock. I've lost track of the number of guys they've completely neutered the moment they start getting popular as heels. All they need to do is make Cena act more heelish...they needn't turn him flat out heel, just stop trying to make him the "beloved babyface nice guy" that totally contradicts the character he's supposed to have.

There's way too much backlash against Cena for the fans to start cheering him again before he drops the title, no matter what he does. I say at this point, they might as well have him do a double turn with HHH, then keep his whiny face character going for a few months before he eventually starts getting his edge back and becomes a face again.

I mean, "you might have to turn him again in 6 months" is a terrible reason to make someone who's getting booed be your babyface champion or a year. Rock turned a bunch of times when he was starting out, and he became one of the most popular wrestlers in history. If Vince just kept pushing Rock as a face champion for a year after the "Rocky sucks" and "Die Rocky die" chants started, do you think he would have gotten as popular as he did?

-- Several people backstage have been noticing that Cena is getting bothered by the boos he's been getting from the crowd lately. He's been trying to just brush it off, saying it's their choice and they can cheer or boo whoever they want, however it is still getting to him. He's been working very hard lately between both wrestling and his music, and is home maybe only one day of the week.

-- Vince McMahon is predictably frustrated with the reaction John Cena has been getting from fans at RAW. According to one wrestler, Vince McMahon would rather fill only half an arena with fans that cheer for whom he wants than an entire arena in which half the fans go against his booking intentions.

The second item just seems like anti-Vince propoganda. Cena aligning with Vince vs Shawn, to me, seems like the way to go for WrestleMania. Cena vs Hunter would probably be a disaster if Cena stayed face.

HHH/Cena wouldn't be smart because HHH just can't turn Face anymore and Cena gets booed WAY too much to be the big Face going into WrestleMania. Only way I could see Cena getting cheered more is when HBK turns on Cena with Vince. HBK cuts Heel promos everywhere which he's very good at, he gets Cena over as a Face then as well. Cena gets his edge a bit back as well but stays Face. It can work the other way around as well but I prefer HBK as a Heel.

-- Several people backstage have been noticing that Cena is getting bothered by the boos he's been getting from the crowd lately. He's been trying to just brush it off, saying it's their choice and they can cheer or boo whoever they want, however it is still getting to him. He's been working very hard lately between both wrestling and his music, and is home maybe only one day of the week.

-- Vince McMahon is predictably frustrated with the reaction John Cena has been getting from fans at RAW. According to one wrestler, Vince McMahon would rather fill only half an arena with fans that cheer for whom he wants than an entire arena in which half the fans go against his booking intentions.

The second item just seems like anti-Vince propoganda. Cena aligning with Vince vs Shawn, to me, seems like the way to go for WrestleMania. Cena vs Hunter would probably be a disaster if Cena stayed face.

Source?

Source?

Wade Keller.

Thanks. So Vince really is acting like a spoiled child when the fans don't do exactly what he wants them to do. These dark days of wrestling . . . they're due to ONE man. ONE man and his family. Like Fidel Castro in Cuba. Yikes, what are we gonna do for the next 30 years for good wrestling?