TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Failed Bridge

2006 NFL Off-Season

2/3s of the NFL are sitting at home so I figured why not start this thread?

Head Coaching positions available: Detroit, Minnesota, Green Bay, St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, Kansas City.

Draft Order Thus Far:

1.) Houston

2.) New Orleans

3.) Tennessee

4.) NY Jets

5.) Green Bay

6.) Oakland

7.) San Francisco

8.) Buffalo

9.) Detroit

10.) Arizona

11.) St. Louis

12.) Cleveland

13.) Baltimore

14.) Philli

15.) Atlanta

16.) Miami

17.) Minnesota

18.) Dallas

19.) San Diego

20.) Kansas City

Link

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns president John Collins resigned Tuesday, ending a late-season power struggle in the team's front office that nearly led to the firing of general manager Phil Savage.

In a statement released by the Browns, owner Randy Lerner said Collins has resigned his position and that Savage and coach Romeo Crennel will remain in their current roles. Lerner said he will assume Collins' duties until a new president is hired.

Lerner added there are no candidates and he has not set a time frame to bring in another executive.

"My priority is to give the general manager and head coach all the resources necessary to make the Browns successful," Lerner said.

It was not immediately clear if Collins will remain with the team or take a position in Lerner's corporate holdings company.

Phone messages left for Collins at his office and on his cell phone were not immediately returned.

Collins joined the Browns on May 1, 2004, after working as a marketing vice president for the NFL in New York. He replaced Carmen Policy, late owner Al Lerner's hand-picked partner who was bought out by Randy Lerner.

Last week, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Savage would be fired because of "philosophical differences" with some members of the organization, and several sources confirmed that was the case.

But before Collins adamantly denied that Savage's job was ever in jeopardy, the report and rumors of Savage's possible firing led to a backlash from outraged Browns fans who swamped the club's headquarters with phone calls and e-mails two days before the season finale against Baltimore.

The outcry may have pressured Lerner into making a decision whether to keep Savage, considered one of the NFL's top talent evaluators who will celebrate his one-year anniversary with the club this week, or Collins.

As the rumors intensified Friday, Lerner met with Savage, Crennel and Collins, who later said the group had "renewed our vows."

However, it seemed that irreparable damage had been done to the group's chemistry. Savage politely declined to comment on his status before or after Sunday's game.

Following the Browns' 20-16 win, Collins said "thanks for everything" before driving off in his car.

Lerner hasn't yet spoken publicly about what transpired.

On Monday, Crennel said he and Savage had a "good working relationship" and added that he was confident the Browns' management team could find harmony.

"I think that in any organization working toward a common goal, everybody has to get along and work toward that goal," Crennel said. "There are different personalities in our organization. Everybody doesn't have to like everybody, but everybody has to work toward a goal. We've worked together and will continue to work together."

Savage addressed the team for 10 minutes, thanking them for their perseverance during another tough season.

"He wasn't saying goodbye," offensive tackle Ryan Tucker said. "He said we were going forward, and he was going to improve the team."

Collins' departure is the latest uproar with the Browns, whose seven seasons back in the league have been marked by bad draft picks, bad decisions, bad luck and mostly bad football.

Cleveland went 6-10 this season but the Browns are 36-77 with one winning season and playoff berth since 1999.

There's also a rumor floating around right now that the Bills will be firing their GM by the end of the week.

Not surprising. The man has always been good as an offensive coordinator, but always shitty as a head coach. I was very surprised the Raiders even hired him in the first place.

Guest Leelee
Maybe the Bills can find a competent GM, and a coach with a spine.

Donahoe was competent. He was just the absolute wrong fit for Buffalo. He did manage to build one of the best defenses in the league (until this year's run d). He did draft McGahee, and a ton of WR's and TE's. And a ton of Miami "The U" degenerates.

But, no OL. And a team without heart. Watching flashy players may work to put butts in seats (like here in Phoenix), but not in Buffalo.

And a team without heart.

I think this is directly related to having a spineless coach. When your coach always punts on 4th down, even when only an enormous pussy would punt, then the players don't really have any reason to play with any fire. If the coach isn't trying to win, why should they?

Assitant GM Tom Modrak is probably going to move up to replace Donahoe. It's a dumb idea to stay in house, the fan base wants a fresh start. Lack of an OL has been the obvious probleme sense the f'ing Rob Johnson/Flutie era and nothings been done.

Apparantly Ralph Wilson is too cheap to fire Mularkey w/ 3 years left on his contract. I don't have much off a probleme w/ Mularkey except for not starting Losman when they were eliminated and the finale games ment absoulty nothing to try and get a better coaching record. But again I think they really need to clean house and start over. I think Hasslat would be a good fit.

Do you guys think Duante Culpepper will be traded? If so, were to? I heard rumors of him getting shipped off to Miami to reunite with his former offensive coornator, or him to Arizona to reunite with Dennis Green. I think Culpepper could make both teams go in the playoffs, espically with the offensive talent for both teams.

Also do you think Aaron Brooks will find a starting job anywhere, and if Farve doesn't retire and leaves Green Bay where will he go?

Do you guys think Duante Culpepper will be traded? If so, were to? I heard rumors of him getting shipped off to Miami to reunite with his former offensive coornator, or him to Arizona to reunite with Dennis Green. I think Culpepper could make both teams go in the playoffs, espically with the offensive talent for both teams.

Also do you think Aaron Brooks will find a starting job anywhere, and if Farve doesn't retire and leaves Green Bay where will he go?

1. If Farve leaves Green Bay, it'll be retirement and not to play for another team.

I don't think his pride will let him be a backup somewhere else and most GMs in their right mind wouldn't sign him as their starter.

Farve may have won 3 MVP awards and a Super Bowl, but most people, GMs included, will just remember the hard-headed bastard who kept trying to force the ball to his receivers and ended up throwing 28 INTs in a season as a result.

If I had to pick one team he'd go to, I'd say Chicago just because Kyle Orton isn't very good and Rex Grossman is injury-prone. Having an experienced QB like Farve under center could work IF he didn't make stupid passes.

2. Aaron Brooks will be a backup somewhere, not a starter. I could see the Jets picking him up considering that Chad Pennington seems to have permanent reservations for shoulder surgery each season.

3. If Dante Culpepper leaves Minnesota, which I think is likely since he was charged in the "Love Boat" scandal, I'll bet that Denny Green finds a way to bring him to Arizona. Culpepper + Larry Fitzgerald + Anquin Bolden + a decent running back = TDs.

Edited by teke184

Something pointed out today in a discussion with a Texans' fan at the office:

The Texans scored as many points as the Chicago Bears this season: 260. The Bears finished 11-5, the Texans 2-14. The difference?

The Texans gave up 229 more points than the Bears.

Would the Texans be wrong to draft defense first, instead of going all out for Bush or Ferguson?

Oh, and I want the Cowboys to draft Rod Wright from Texas, if he's available. Greg Ellis and La'Roi Glover will be out the door this offseason, and he'd be a good fit, imo.

While I think that drafting Bush doesn't really improve their team, the Texans need to get an O-Line 1st before anything.

Carr's career will be cut very short with the hits he has been taking in the last few years, he's proven to be a franchise QB but the poor guy gets no protection, it's not like he's Michael Vick or McNabb who can make a offense work without an great O-Line.

D'Bricksaw or Winston Justice who is rumored to come into the draft, is the way to go for the Texans, they should trade their pick.

The Texans have alot of holes to fill so drafting a defensive player over somebody as good as D'Brickshaw Ferguson isn't going to fix anything. They will likely trade down with a team that wants Reggie Bush or Leinart and still get themselves Ferguson or a top tier O-Lineman with their first rounder. David Carr is going to get killed if they don't upgrade that line.

Guest Leelee
Assitant GM Tom Modrak is probably going to move up to replace Donahoe. It's a dumb idea to stay in house, the fan base wants a fresh start. Lack of an OL has been the obvious probleme sense the f'ing Rob Johnson/Flutie era and nothings been done.

Modrak was a big part of building the Eagles... so, I'm not against giving him a chance. Besides, Donahoe was a power-hungry bastard that demanded everything done his way. The OL problem goes 100% to Donahoe. The probable thinking was that they brought in McNally... who's noted by many as the best OL coach in the league. Give him shit, and hope he can turn it into gold. But, when a fat, worthless bag of shit like Bennie Anderson is your starter going into the season... there's no salvaging that.

I think this is directly related to having a spineless coach. When your coach always punts on 4th down, even when only an enormous pussy would punt, then the players don't really have any reason to play with any fire. If the coach isn't trying to win, why should they?

Meh. But compared to Gregggg and Bum's kid, Mularkey looks like a genius. And putting Holcomb in at week 5 took some balls... even if it may have been the wrong move. He tried to win when it mattered. And he did, for a little while. I haven't watched all the Bills games, so I don't recall his lack of going for it on 4th down. But, with most Bills fans... they're not calling for Mularkey's head yet. At least until the Bills suck again next year.

Apparantly Ralph Wilson is too cheap to fire Mularkey w/ 3 years left on his contract. I don't have much off a probleme w/ Mularkey except for not starting Losman when they were eliminated and the finale games ment absoulty nothing to try and get a better coaching record. But again I think they really need to clean house and start over. I think Hasslat would be a good fit.

No No No No on Haslett. I'm worried about this too, since he was a former Bills player. I don't want the only other NFL coach who's as horrible as Gregggg with gametime decisions.

Yeah, they'll take Bush. ESPN will jerk off to the thought of it. They'll ignore offensive line in the draft or grab a bunch of bust players. Bush will get two carries in the regular season, one for -3 yards and the other for his broken right leg.

Texans drafting Bush is stupid but if you ask ESPN, it's a great thing!

Except they already have a running back who got over 1000 behind a shit line and the main problems are pass protection and defense. But who cares about little details like that when the Trojan Messiah is on the board!

Edited by 2GOLD

Yeah, they'll take Bush. ESPN will jerk off to the thought of it. They'll ignore offensive line in the draft or grab a bunch of bust players. Bush will get two carries in the regular season, one for -3 yards and the other for his broken right leg.

Texans drafting Bush is stupid but if you ask ESPN, it's a great thing!

Except they already have a running back who got over 1000 behind a shit line and the main problems are pass protection and defense. But who cares about little details like that when the Trojan Messiah is on the board!

QFT

Seriously...anyone with a tenth of a brain who knows something about football knows the Texans need offensive linemen. Badly. they also need a few defensive players...but i think they can improve that in the later rounds and with free agents.

they need to trade the first overall pick to someone with multiple 1sts and/or 2nds and/or offensive linemen/defensive players. Domanick Davis is a GOOD running back, with great size and good durability/stamina. He is an nfl player, potential all-pro (Plus with johnathan wells as a backup, that isn't bad either)

Hell, I'd contend that san fran doesn't need reggie bush either, and needs some o-line and defensive back help.

The reality is if I were a bad team, I'd always go for QUANITY over the absolute best number 1 pick. One individual player can get hurt, or be a bust. 6 picks you're guarenteed at least one good-great player and maybe even a superstar.

The 49ers need Reggie Bush or DeAngelo Williams. They can't win games with an aging Kevan Barlow and Frank Gore at running back. They do need offensive line help, but they also need the boost in attendance that Reggie Bush would provide.

According to WFAN in NY Herm Edwards is on his way t the Chiefs. They're just negotiating what compensation the Jets will get.

Well, Herm is a underrated coach. He just really sucks at hiring offensive coordinators or just calling offensively plays. Defensive wise, he's very good. Works out well for the Chiefs but who coaches the Jets?

Guest Vitamin X

Also, the short list of candidates on Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson's list. Figured this would be good to post here because it'll probably be very similar to the other 7 teams looking for a new head coach as well.

Candidates, whose teams are currently in the playoffs are not eligible to be interviewed until after their final playoff game.

Here is Thompson's list of candidates:

Steve Mariucci - Former Head Coach San Francisco and Detroit; former assistant with the Packers

Jim Bates - Defensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers

Wade Phillips - Former Head Coach Buffalo and Denver; currently defensive coordinator, San Diego

Brad Childress - Offensive coordinator, Philadelphia

Maurice Carthon - Offensive coordinator, Cleveland Browns

Ron Rivera - Defensive coordinator, Chicago Bears

Tim Lewis - Defensive coordinator, New York Giants

Ken Whisenhunt - Offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers

Russ Grimm - Assistant head coach/offensive line coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

Sean Payton - Assistant head coach/passing game coordinator, Dallas Cowboys

Cam Cameron - Offensive coordinator, San Diego Chargers.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Childress is expected to meet with Thompson in Green Bay today. Childress interviewed with the Minnesota Vikings on Tuesday.

I expect either Bates, Mooch, or Phillips to get the job in Green Bay.

On the NFL network, they were saying Donnie Henderson has a great chance to become the Saints new coach, but if that doesn't happen, he will be promoted as head coach for the Jets as he should be.

I'm willing to predict that Mike Martz will be the new Raiders coach as well, it makes sense since the Raiders are looking to have a high power offense and Martz is a offensive genius.

Edited by EvanderHolyfieldsMissingEar

I wouldnt mind Tim Lewis back in GreenBay as head coach...or Mariucci. Mooch would probably mean one or two more years with Brett Favre, for whatever thats worth.

On the NFL network, they were saying Donnie Henderson has a great chance to become the Saints new coach, but if that doesn't happen, he will be promoted as head coach for the Jets as he should be.

I'm willing to predict that Mike Martz will be the new Raiders coach as well, it makes sense since the Raiders are looking to have a high power offense and Martz is a self-proclaimed offensive "genius".

Editted for accuracy.