TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Failed Bridge

2006 NFL Off-Season

ya, via leaks to the media from people working around the front office of the Texans, its pretty much been confirmed that they're grabbing Reggie Bush. That organisation just doesn't get it.

Bush gets more season ticket holders now while getting linemen gets them wins later I guess. Guess they have no faith in Davis who somehow got nearly 1,000 yards behind that shit line.

Guest Princess Leena
Bush gets more season ticket holders now while getting linemen gets them wins later I guess. Guess they have no faith in Davis who somehow got nearly 1,000 yards behind that shit line.

With the recent fate of OL's who were drafted early (Gallery, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams... oh, how I hate him), giving away the #1 pick is a lot to ask. And Ferguson already has question marks... as his run blocking hasn't been great, and since he'll have to bulk up to be a tackle in the NFL... will that affect his movement and superior pass blocking? Plus, one potential top offensive tackle isn't going to improve that offense much.

Bush is hardly a guarantee for the NFL level, either... but, one can't deny the potential there.

I wouldn't have faith in Davis, either. The Texans have been the worst 1st down team in the league for years. He put up a lot of total yards (until this year), but that will happen when you're the only option on an offense.

Bush is going to give 10 to 15 carries a game in the NFL if a team is lucky. That doesn't help at all. If they don't want offensive line, they could have went defense cause they need help there as well. Reggie is a waste of a pick for them.

Talented? Absolutely. I still don't feel in any other draft that Reggie would be a top pick. Top Ten? Yes. Number one overall? No.

Why go to the pros then? That makes zero sense.

What more does he have to prove at the college level? He beat one of the greatest college teams of all time by himself, he's proven to be head and shoulders above the talent at the college level, his draft status is very high. He had no choice by to go pro, staying is not helping him.

The Chiefs signed Casey Printers to a 3 year contract.

People not from Canada, I'll give you some insight on Printers. He won the CFL outstanding player last year after he replaced an injured Dave Dickenson, he did even better job then Dave did but once Dave came back in time for the playoffs, they benched him in favor of Dave. And as of result, the Lions lost in the Grey Cup finals to Damon Allen(Quarterback, brother of NFL great Marcus Allen) and the Toronto Argos. This year, Casey didn't get much playing time despite winning the outstanding player award last year, and when Dickenson got injured, Printers got injured to.

Printers has a very good arm and is very quick on his feet, people compare him to Michael Vick but he is more accurate passer. Trent Green watch out, because Printers could take your starting job if you mess up.

Bush is going to give 10 to 15 carries a game in the NFL if a team is lucky. That doesn't help at all. If they don't want offensive line, they could have went defense cause they need help there as well. Reggie is a waste of a pick for them.

Talented? Absolutely. I still don't feel in any other draft that Reggie would be a top pick. Top Ten? Yes. Number one overall? No.

Bush can also give you 5-10 catches per game, plus he can return kicks and punts. It's also likely he'll add muscle to his frame. Making him a more durable back.

If your parents name you Mike, you are destined to wind up on an NFL sideline someday, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see if the fired coaches this year ever get another head coaching job, since the Chiefs said "no thanks" and traded for one instead and the Jets and Packers are looking at coordinators instead of experienced head coaches. That seems to be the trend lately.

That hire just makes me think Green Bay is just trying to make it easier for Brett to retire.

Actually the move was an attempt to make Brett Farve stay...

McCarthy was Bret Farves former QB coach in Green Bay.

Guest Princess Leena

Why go to the pros then? That makes zero sense.

What more does he have to prove at the college level? He beat one of the greatest college teams of all time by himself, he's proven to be head and shoulders above the talent at the college level, his draft status is very high. He had no choice by to go pro, staying is not helping him.

I think it's more because Young is being overprojected as at least a Top 5 pick, and he better go with it while he can.

I still find it hard to believe that anyone in the Top 15 even takes a chance on Young. An NFL team would have to start from absolute scratch with him. Physically and mentally. And with today's NFL, teams can't afford to wait at least 2-3 years for a high-paid 1st round pick to maybe pan out.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm not too sure what to think of this move. On one hand, I was REALLY hoping for a Sean Payton or Jim Bates, or even Steve Mariucci. On the other hand, McCarthy is one of those young, "he's so hot right now" coordinators who's name has gotten mentioned in NFL circles like Payton for a bit now, but not quite as a head coach. This is really surprising, as I thought it'd be the least likely of all the candidates interviewed to be hired.

Since leaving the Packers to become offensive coordinator of New Orleans Saints in 2000, McCarthy has maintained a relationship with Favre. It is not believed, however, that played a significant part in Thompson's decision to offer McCarthy the job.

Regarded league-wide as a very creative offensive mind, McCarthy is also known for his communication skills and ability to develop a quick rapport with his players.

I like the second one a lot. Sherman was despised in Green Bay (just ask Darren Sharper or a few of his assistant coaches) and had terrible communication skills with his players and assistants. Seeing that he left the Packers in 2000, I'm seeing a bit of where this is going. At least he was with us during the "glory years" (a.k.a. pre-Ray Rhodes, which was the `99 season), which is good news.

Among the quarterbacks with whom McCarthy has worked at the college and pro levels are Joe Montana, Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac, Alex Van Pelt, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Blake, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger and Aaron Brooks.

So I take it then that he must have been a QB coach for the Niners before going to the Packers, then the Saints, back to the Niners, and now back to the Packers. West Coast offense all the way, and I'm pretty encouraged by that.

What the NFL's shown us though, is that a coach's reputation as a certain coordinator would not necessarily translate over into an ability as a head coach. Andy Reid was Green Bay's QB coach before getting hired in Philadelphia, and was little known to most people who wouldn't have followed the Packers then. You have guys like Gregg Williams and Norv Turner, both great coordinators, but utter disasters as head coaches. Being a successful head coach in the league is an entirely different ballgame, and I think this move signals that Thompson is looking to move on from the disaster that was the Sherman era, especially at the GM spot. Sherman's offseason moves in his time as GM alone has doomed this team for probably another couple years before they can truly be a contender again.

Also, I like that they're looking at a young guy as head coach. McCarthy's only 42 years old. That also means he can get along with the younger guys, and maybe bring a bit of fire and emotion to the team, something sorely lacking sometimes under Sleeping Sherm.

EDIT: Ah fuck, the guy looks like Marty Morninwheg.

w_mccarthy_65.jpg

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Regarding Bush and the Texans, the guy is a proven tremendous playmaker, which, even more than an offensive line, is what that team is sorely lacking. Tack on an occasional big play score and the resulting momentum push, this team would've won more ballgames.

He'd definitely bulk up a little, and probably lose little in the process. Figuring the guy is incredibly young, sure-handed, and healthy, I can't see passing that up.

Besides, if your argument is that Davis already meets that team's needs at RB, and can sustain a good season in the face of unblocked defenders, he'd certainly be good tradebait for a solid OL or a low pick when Bush fully matures.

Regardless of how bad a team needs a lineman, I think it's a terrible idea to use a big pick on them. The one exception I've personally seen was Orlando Pace.

Finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced.

espn.com

• Troy Aikman, QB, 1989-00 Cowboys

• Harry Carson, LB, 1976-88 Giants

• L.C. Greenwood, DE, 1969-81 Steelers

• Russ Grimm, G, 1981-91 Redskins

• Claude Humphrey, DE, 1968-74, 1976-78 Falcons, 1979-1981 Eagles

• Michael Irvin, WR, 1988-99 Cowboys

• Bob Kuechenberg, G, 1970-84 Dolphins

• x-John Madden, coach, 1969-78 Raiders

• Art Monk, WR, 1980-1993 Redskins, 1994 Jets, 1995 Eagles

• Warren Moon, QB, 1984-93 Oilers, 1994-96 Vikings, 1997-98 Seahawks, 1999-2000 Chiefs

• Derrick Thomas, LB, 1989-99 Chiefs

• Thurman Thomas, RB, 1988-99 Bills, 2000 Dolphins

• Reggie White, DE/DT, 1985-92 Eagles, 1993-98 Packers, 2000 Panthers

• x-Rayfield Wright, T, 1967-79 Dallas Cowboys

• Gary Zimmerman, T, 1986-92 Vikings, 1993-97 Broncos

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, that's easy. White, Monk, Moon, Madden, and Thurman Thomas. For Aikman and Irvin's induction, it'd be nice to wait a bit for Emmitt to be eligible for the Hall so the triplets can all be inducted together.

It's also interesting to see Russ Grimm could be inducted as a player while he's also out there looking to be hired as a head coach right now as well.

I thought Mularkey was a decent enough coach and I also thought he would have stuck around for a couple of more years at least. Hopefully the Bills can pick up Jim Haslett. I think he would be a good fit and he has history with the franchise.

Bills need to go with a offensive mind Coach, to help develop JP Losman, and Lee Evans. Willis McGahee is a franchise runningback, but he needs some air action to make them a playoff team. They need to go get a back up like Jeff Garcia so incase JP Losman competely sucks, they have a qb that can win them games.

Moon, White, Akiman and Thomas get in.

Guest Princess Leena

No Andre Reed in the final list? That is bullshit.

Bills need to go with a offensive mind Coach, to help develop JP Losman, and Lee Evans.

This offensive genius, defensive mind, etc... shit is a bunch of hooey. That's what your coordinators are for. A head coach has to run everything.

I thought Mularkey was a decent enough coach and I also thought he would have stuck around for a couple of more years at least. Hopefully the Bills can pick up Jim Haslett. I think he would be a good fit and he has history with the franchise.

Mularkey wasn't doing the job. The offense was dismal during his reign. His playcalling was questionable. The only reasons he wasn't fired is because he was only here 2 years, and he was cheap. I'm not high on Haslett, either... I question his coaching abilities, and definitely question his gametime decisions. But, he'll probably get the job.

The 2 guys that catch my eye are Kubiak and Saunders... who both were good coordinators. But, it appears Kubiak is going to Houston.

Bills need to go with a offensive mind Coach, to help develop JP Losman, and Lee Evans. Willis McGahee is a franchise runningback, but he needs some air action to make them a playoff team. They need to go get a back up like Jeff Garcia so incase JP Losman competely sucks, they have a qb that can win them games.

Moon, White, Akiman and Thomas get in.

I thought maybe the veterans selections make it once they make it to the list of finalist.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm just curious who's going to get stuck with Mike Sherman, really.

Also, found this item interesting. I circled where Mike McCarthy's located on the Bill Walsh/West Coast Offense coaching tree:

westcoasttreewhereismccarthy.jpg