TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Feuds That Could Have Happened But Never Did

OK, I just thought of this for no apparent reason.

What are some feuds in wrestling that COULD have happened, but never DID happen?

Here's one I thought of:

Hercules vs. The Junkyard Dog

A feud that would eventually, obviously, lead to a Chain Match between the two of them.

Road Warriors/Demos actually did kinda happen in 1990 though, didn't it? Wasn't for the tag belts though since the LOD aided the Harts in beating Demolition at SS 90.

The mother of all "Should have happened" feuds: UT vs. Papa Shango, circa 1992. How could they not do that one?

Guest JMA
The mother of all "Should have happened" feuds: UT vs. Papa Shango, circa 1992. How could they not do that one?

I remember him and Taker having a match. Shango used his voodoo stick on Taker (it just shot sparks...).

Guest cacheton

Jarrett VS Austin

Billy Gunn VS Austin

Eddie VS Austin

Chuck Palumbo VS Bradshaw

1993:

Mr. Perfect vs. Razor Ramon. That would've been a great feud after Flair left, Razor being Hennan's guy to get revenge on Hennig.

The Narcissist vs. Bret Hart for the world title. Would've been a good feud. It looked like they were leading towards that when he attacked Bret at the WM brunch, but nothing but some house show matches (They might have wrestled once on Wrestling Superstars or something or another).

WCW

Sting vs. Steve Austin in 1995 for the U.S. Title. They had this match on WCW Satruday Night I remember it I loved it. I always thought that would've been a good feud.

Steve Corino vs Taz.

Definatley would have happened if Taz didn't go to WWE.

I had thought that, but it was pretty tough to take Corino seriously at that point. Taz did feud with the network somewhat, though, against Tajiri most of that summer.

Bret Hart Vs. Hulk Hogan

Bret Hart Vs. Eddie Guerrero

Bret Hart Vs. Chris Jericho

Shawn Michaels Vs. The Rock

Steve Austin Vs. Hulk Hogan

Steve Austin Vs. Bill Goldberg

The Ultimate Warrior Vs. Bill Goldberg

Steve Austin Vs. Eddie Guerrero

Roddy Piper Vs. Jake Roberts

Legion of Doom Vs. Demolition (Ax and Smash)

Perfect/Bret for the World Title during Bret's second or third reign would have ruled, but Perfect wasn't wrestling at that point because of his back.

Savage/Bret never really feuded either.

If the Screwjob never happened there could have been a bunch of interesting ones for Bret: Foley, HHH, Benoit, Jericho, Angle, etc.

Same thing if Owen had never died.

As was mentioned, Owen/Shawn in '98 definitely should have happened. There was so much they could have done with that. In the storylines, Owen/Shawn, Shawn/Austin, and Owen/Austin all hated each other. If they book Owen vs. Shawn for the Rumble instead of the Casket Match, maybe Shawn never screws up his back and who knows what chain of events that would have set off. Even if they had Owen come up just a bit short at the Rumble, and still put Austin over Shawn at Wrestlemania, the fallout would have been tremendous. Instead of all the Undertaker/Kane garbage with the Title, they could have used Owen instead.

Imagine an Owen/Austin main event for Summerslam 1998. Owen, on a quest to regain the Title his brother never really lost, trying to do it against one of his biggest rivals, at MSG, where he had his first breakout win, not to mention at Summerslam, where he broke Austin's neck the year before. Of course, leading up to the event, Vince had already made it known that he didn't like Austin as champion, but he also doesn't want a Hart with the belt, considering Owen's motivation of doing it for Bret. So at Summerslam, Owen turns heel by aligning with Vince and becomes Vince's "corporate champion" (a la the Rock), as Vince screws Austin out of the Title. This makes Owen a mega-heel, as he aligns with the man that screwed his brother for his own benefit. Owen goes back into typical Owen mode, saying he was better than Bret all along and he really is the best there is, best there was and best there ever will be (this also fulfills his original goal from '94, winning KOTR, Tag Titles, IC Title, and World Title, just like Bret did). Of course, there's a lot of blurring between reality and storyline, but Bret would probably be okay with this since it would help Owen's career.

Of course, then the Rock never becomes "Corporate Champion" but that's okay because he obviously would have gotten over no matter what. And if they really really had to, they could always do another Survivor Series "screwjob", this time with Owen as the victim against the Rock. Of course that would have murdered his heat and made him no longer hated or popular, but they probably wouldn't have cared.

Either way, most importantly, Owen never gets turned into a comedy figure and never dies in the accident. Then we're only a few months away from the arrival of Jericho, Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, etc. and Owen, former Champion, feuds with them for a long time, really putting over the new guys in classic matches in the process.

But anyway, that was always my greatest "feud that never happened but could have and should have": Owen vs. Shawn, followed by Owen eventualyl w/ Vince vs. Austin.

Perfect/Bret for the World Title during Bret's second or third reign would have ruled, but Perfect wasn't wrestling at that point because of his back.

Savage/Bret never really feuded either.

On that note, Savage/Perfect is another one that hasn't been mentioned.

Shawn/Perfect in 96. They had hinted at it at various points during the year, and they had a great setup following the "Perfect Hoax" (with Perfect helping HHH win the I-C Belt from Mero in exchange for some backup as he goes for the World belt), but Perfect didn't wanna wrestle due to his insurance claim from his back injury or something along that line.

They feuded briefly (BRIEFLY) in late 92/early 93. Taker was supposed to go into a program with Nailz, but when he left the company, Shango got inserted in as a replacement. I don't recall it ever going anywhere outside of a few house show matches though.

Good point on Perfect/Savage. It's amazing how many feuds never happened between veterans from the late 80s/early 90s because they didn't burn through feuds so easily back then. I guess that'll happen when there aren't 50 PPVs per year. For instance, I don't think I ever saw Perfect wrestle against DiBiase once... of course they were both heels for most of their WWF runs and by the time Perfect finally turned face, DiBiase was in a tag team, but still.

Bret/Jarrett is another one I would have liked to have seen. If Jarrett would have stuck around in '95 after dropping the IC Title, this would have been much better than Bret against the dentist and the pirate (though I do like the actual matches Bret had with Pierre).

1-2-3 Kid/Shawn Michaels is '93/94 is another. Those would have been sweet matches.