TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

OAO Royal Rumble Thread Jan/29th/06

Edge is fucked. It doesn't matter if he goes over Cena cleanly at WM or goes over HHH cleanly, he's done. Any title run he has now will never capture the "magic" this one had.

If the Castro gimmick they are talking about is who I think it is, it's Osama Rodriguez Alejandro from OVW. It's a fairly fun little gimmick in a cheesy USWA Memphis kind of way.

I don't blame Edge for being distraught, in fact if I'm him right now I say "Fuck all of you" and demand my release. An E and C reunion in TNA sounds good to me. My friend Ian (who is a big Edge fan, has been since about 1998) and I were both in utter shock that they jobbed him so blatantly and clean tonight. They embarrassed and humiliated him and yet had a plethora of false finishes to protect MARK HENRY???

Honestly, I don't even see a double turn at WM with HHH/Cena. HHH has no real heat as face and it'd be a bad idea. And frankly, it also goes back to why humiliate and job out Edge so badly in order to keep HHH the top heel, only to then turn him face?

They are just fucked with Cena right now. He's going to get booed to high fucking heaven from here on, because I think a lot of people were digging Edge with the belt. Now I bet HHH wins a tourney of some sort to put himself over all the Raw roster in order to get his WM title shot.

As far as RVD goes, I doubt his silly Carlito feud has legs till WM. They might both be in a new MITB type match, but that has no heat for a 1 on 1 blowoff (they can do that on a Raw or the 1st Sat. Night's Main Event). After tonight they seem to be teasing Carlito/Masters more, so they can just have RVD beat Carlito when Masters turns on him, etc.

Goes without saying I'd have RVD now win that MITB match and cash it in at One Night Stand. If Cena somehow still has the belt who wouldn't want to see him on the receiving end of a Van Daminator, Van Terminator, and so on?

Is it safe to say that his title run was...Jericho'd?

A highly exciting initial title win eventually ending with a loss in forgetable afterthought match on a big PPV to a face the fans will likely not get behind?

I'd say its a fair assesment.

All there is hope for at this point is that the crowd tomorrow and maybe the next week shits on Cena so bad they pull back and have Edge beat Cena cleanly for the title on a Raw soon (or at very latest, SNME) and then build to RVD v. Edge or something half interesting for Mania. And then you go with Cena (as a bitter heel almost like Bret was in 97) v Hogan at Mania. And HHH v. Rey in a perfectly acceptable interpromotional match.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
"Edge was said to be very upset backstage at the Royal Rumble when he found out he would be dropping the WWE Title back to John Cena. Upset in the sense of being distraught, not angry. Edge was said to be in such bad shape over it that Vince McMahon pulled Edge into his office privately to assure him that they weren't going to give up on him. Edge was upset that his lifelong dream lasted only 3 weeks."

Can you blame him? He did everything you could have asked him, and even improved ratings, and they give it right back to an enormous bust of a champion to spite the fans. I'd be beside myself as well.

A highly exciting initial title win eventually ending with a loss in forgetable afterthought match on a big PPV to a face the fans will likely not get behind?

The only big difference is that Jericho had a somewhat long reign (you know, compared to Edge's). However, Edge had a really, really good short run, and Jericho had a really, really shitty time with the strap (other than a few things here and there).

I'm not sure which one I think is worse, given the circumstances.

How many guys is HHH going to be allowed to ruin? Anyone who thinks he has changed his ways since coming back in Oct. just need to look at that shit tonight.

In a way they might actually do that double turn. It buries Cena since he'd be a heatless heel, and then also keeps RVD as the #2 face while HHH can attempt to get cheered. It's a bit unlikely though. Honestly, right now the main thing that could save Cena is some sort of serious injury. Get him off the show for a long while and 6 months later he might be fresh again.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

The only big difference is that Jericho had a somewhat long reign (you know, compared to Edge's). However, Edge had a really, really good short run, and Jericho had a really, really shitty time with the strap (other than a few things here and there).

I'm not sure which one I think is worse, given the circumstances.

Jericho's was worse. Four months of a Honky Tonk Champion in 2002, 15 years after is was interesting.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
Honestly, right now the main thing that could save Cena is some sort of serious injury. Get him off the show for a long while and 6 months later he might be fresh again.

And a gimmick change. Enough of the upper class prep school white boy (which they have ACKNOWLEDGED) playing a "from the streets" thug. Make him the prototype if you have to.

How many guys is HHH going to be allowed to ruin? Anyone who thinks he has changed his ways since coming back in Oct. just need to look at that shit tonight.

In a way they might actually do that double turn. It buries Cena since he'd be a heatless heel, and then also keeps RVD as the #2 face while HHH can attempt to get cheered. It's a bit unlikely though. Honestly, right now the main thing that could save Cena is some sort of serious injury. Get him off the show for a long while and 6 months later he might be fresh again.

I don't know if it's HHH or the WWE itself, but they're hurting Cena's career by shoving him down the fans throat, when it's clear people don't want him to be world champion at this point.

Edge's title run was a combination of Jericho's two title runs. Jericho's first title win was a great markout moment on PPV, and he just jobbed it back to the former champion (Rock) unceremoniously about three weeks later.

"Edge was said to be very upset backstage at the Royal Rumble when he found out he would be dropping the WWE Title back to John Cena. Upset in the sense of being distraught, not angry. Edge was said to be in such bad shape over it that Vince McMahon pulled Edge into his office privately to assure him that they weren't going to give up on him. Edge was upset that his lifelong dream lasted only 3 weeks."

Can you blame him? He did everything you could have asked him, and even improved ratings, and they give it right back to an enormous bust of a champion to spite the fans. I'd be beside myself as well.

Edge really did do anything he could have been expected to. Ratings rose with his title win. His promos were being handled nicely. He was getting a reaction from the crowd. Putting on surprisingly strong matches -- hell, he was willing to dive off the top of the ladder in the middle of the ring through a table outside on the floor. He did everything they could have asked of him.

And it was all for nothing. Cena still gets the title back. And Edge gets a midcard slot at WrestleMania.

The most distressing part of this story is that Edge didn't know he was losing the title until earlier today. With his title reign going as well as it was -- and assuming there were people in the back complimenting Edge on his job so far -- it had to have been a complete shock to him that this was happening.

Edge's career is fucked. And Cena's career is going to be completely ruined very soon too if they keep this up.

Where is that from?

I don't like Edge but have to admit Raw was a lot more refreshing these past few weeks, and I feel bad for him. Ratings were up. Cena is still getting booed. It makes no sense to put the belt back on Cena, I mean.. even for them. Why does Vince love him so much when no one else does?

It would be great if Edge saw this as a stab in the back and tried to go to TNA with Christian.

This is the fucked up thing with all of this. If Edge would have went over, you save two careers no doubt, as Edge would continue the title run (and even if he had to job at Mania to HHH, at least he would be put over til then) and Cena would have survived a loss and probably been more interesting because of it, as you could easily lead to a Cena heel turn and then put him against Hogan at Mania and try to draw interest that way.

But the way they did this, you are risking killing off any momentum not just Edge had, but Cena as well, as now I have a feeling its just going to go back to fans booing Cena right away come tomorrow. Its like you are punishing Cena by giving him the belt again, as absurd as that sounds.

Guest Timmer

Undertaker demands a title shot at WM v. Angle but Teddy Long informs him that Rey has the title shot.

So Undertaker then bargains with Rey and agrees to release Eddie's sould in exchange for the title shot or for a #1 contender's match.

Will it happen? No...at least I would hope not...

From PWInsider:

WWE.com has short interviews online with JBL, Kid Kash and several other stars following the Royal Rumble tonight. The big news out of the interviews is that new Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms is now going to be part of the Smackdown roster.

Okay, I didn't see this show, but Mark Henry and John Cena were supposed to put on good matches after the Rumble? Two years ago HHH and HBK had a last man standing match where they bled like stuck pigs and you have to respect that, if nothing else about it, and Mark frickin' Henry gets the main event? Call it "WWE Hate" or whatever you want to, but this is downright dumb booking from my perspective.

Guest Ransome

I can't believe they bumped the Royal Rumble match itself into the midcard just to allow the Undertaker's cheesy special effects to occupy the final minutes of the pay-per-view. Surely, WWE must realise that the Royal Rumble match is the major draw of the pay-per-view and the fact that it's generally the most interesting single hour of WWE TV of the entire year. It should have been Rey Mysterio's night - starting the Rumble halfway through the pay-per-view diminishes its value and damages the credibility of his win. It also meant that the world title matches that followed the RR were anticlimatic, and I for one was too drained after the Rumble to really get involved in the either of the title matches. Was UT's reappearance really *that* important that it couldn't wait until this week's Smackdown?

I would love to see Ken Kennedy in the Rumble. Like 10 guys are already fighting, they suddenly stop to let Kennedy do his thing.

"The man who is single handedly changing Friday Nights! MMMMMMMISSSTTAAAAA KENNEDY.....K" And a Face knocks him down to a big pop. Awesome.

I can't believe they bumped the Royal Rumble match itself into the midcard just to allow the Undertaker's cheesy special effects to occupy the final minutes of the pay-per-view. Surely, WWE must realise that the Royal Rumble match is the major draw of the pay-per-view and the fact that it's generally the most interesting single hour of WWE TV of the entire year. It should have been Rey Mysterio's night - starting the Rumble halfway through the pay-per-view diminishes its value and damages the credibility of his win. It also meant that the world title matches that followed the RR were anticlimatic, and I for one was too drained after the Rumble to really get involved in the either of the title matches. Was UT's reappearance really *that* important that it couldn't wait until this week's Smackdown?

Seriously. They could have just done some stupid "lights go out, spooky titantron appears, Undertaker's voice comes over the PA system to haunt his opponent" and been fine, then saved the special effects BS for the following Smackdown. That way you still get the feud kickstarted, and get to keep the Rumble as the Main Event.

I WILL NOT watch Raw with Cena as champ... It's like we've all had a wonderful dream where WWE started to get a little better... But WHAMMY, we wake up and Cena's the champ after all...

I know I'm not the only one who won't be watching Raw anymore after the Rumble's shitfest. So Vince, or HHH, if you're reading this, you've lost another fan and plenty more are to follow. in the end it'll just be Vince, Cena and HHH in the whole company when they will host Raw from Vince's backyard...

Thanks WWE for some good times in the past, but tonight is the last £15 you will EVER get out of me!

So why is John Cena champ again? Why did they ever take it off of him in the first place?

Vince panicked that Cena wasn't getting over, Triple H panicked that Edge was getting over.

They can't save Wrestlemania. It won't matter, either, because the show will get many buys. The company has been tanking creatively ever since Mike Goldberg stung them.

Trish vs. Mickie is the only slow-burning feud that means anything. Not counting Rey's win because Eddie had to die for him to go over. If you think that's insensitive, write to WWE, because they started it. Shawn fighting Vince or Shane is stupid.

My suggestion? Wrestlemania should have been re-done before this PPV. Cena should have been in the Rumble, Triple H should be fighting Edge (filler ala 2001), Rey Mysterio should have been challenging Angle, and Undertaker should have either been in the Rumble or not there. Crusierweight match should have been a 15 minute gimmick deal (ladder or something). Victoria should have been doing something other than hitting on Vince. But egos and politics got in the way again and ruined another show.

Six months from now, when everyone asks why Rey isn't a credible champion, the easiest place to start is the Rumble. I don't like the Eddie tribute stuff, but that isn't the problem. Rey could be serious about it, but having Tim White shooting himself kills the credibility. It's the tasteless crap that's forcing people to disbelieve WWE. The last 7 Royal Rumbles have been the main event. This one was a midcard match. There's the immediate problem of Rey winning gets a big pop, yet he's unworthy of the top spot, certainly not while Mark Henry or the 40+ Undertaker can take it and do nothing. Even in the match, Triple H had to go an hour too (while everyone else was under 40), and eliminate the three biggest guys in the match, which to me was extremely selfish. Then there's the rumor that Rey isn't getting his title shot, not to mention 20 years of brainwashing by Vince McMahon that only six and a half feet, 300 lb guys with steriods up their ass automatically get title runs and title shots. When people watch Smackdown in two weeks to see that Rey Mysterio is jobbing his title shot at No Way Out, we'll wonder what went wrong.

I can't believe what they did with the Rumble!!!! THAT'S THE FOCAL POINT OF THE PPV!! it should have been last!

As for the Cena/Edge match, the finish was BULLSHIT!! Cena SUCKS!!!!

Angle/Henry was another crap match! There were only to good things about the whole PPV

1) The Rumble match itself. Having said that, Mysterio should not have won!!!

2) Undertaker's return. His entrance was cool and the ring colapsing was awesome!!

I always order the rumble purely for the actual match, but this year the rest of the matches were awful!