TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fairtoflair7

General Help with Torrent

Just a couple general questions with Torrents.....

I use file sharing programs and such but I want to get into Torrents becuase I hear they are much easier to download and use.

How do they work and which one are the best?

Do you just download the file and it works on WMP or something like that or is there another process you have to do?

What is EDonkey and what is the difference between that and BitTorrent?

I'm pretty new at this so cut me some slack but I just want to know the basics so I can learn to use Torrent to thier full usefulness... Thanks

Edited by fairtoflair7

They're not comparably easier. P2P and Torrents have their own drawbacks. You're probably out of luck if you can't find the torrent you want on a tracker site, and they tend to be slower. But they're more stable and if you're lucky there can be a lot of sources, so you can generally leave them unattended. Torrents are generally better for TV shows and the like, while unless downloading an entire album, I prefer regular P2P for music.

Torrents aren't media files. They just allow you to download the associated video, audio, etc. First you need a torrent client like Azureus, Shareaza, BitTornado, etc. There are a number of them listed in the Sharing Files thread.

Next, find a tracker site, click on the torrent you want or download and open it. The program then opens automatically like any other and it begins downloading.

eDonkey is just a P2P program with its own network, although it has torrent capabilities, I think. I've never actually bothered with it. Although the site is still up, the company supposedly buckled to RIAA pressure last year.

Edited by atomsk

edonkey is dying but eMule, a newer client based on the same groundwork, is alive and well and you'll find almost anything on there. the good thing is that there are plenty of eMule boards around where you can easily request a reshare if a file is not available anymore. The newer eMule versions also work without servers if you want so it's a bit more secure (although there is no true privacy with P2P).

atomsk already explained BitTorrent, I just want to recommend another client called uTorrent which doesn't need to be installed, is smaller and uses far less resources than other clients while still providing all the features you need.

http://www.utorrent.com

want to know more about BT? --> http://www.bittorrent.com/introduction.html

and eMule? --> http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

Edited by Insane Bump Machine