TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aero

D'Lo Brown in WWF 1999

So, I'm watching Unforgiven 99 with D'Lo beating Mark Henry to win the European Title. It's surprisingly a decent match thanks to D'Lo, but then I started to think about his direction at the time. When he started his feud with Jeff Jarrett in the summer, he started getting some good crowd reaction. Seriously, the night after Summerslam, when D'Lo interrupts the Jarrett/Mark Henry interview, his pop rivals The Rock's. I kind of remember hearing about rumors that he was supposed to be in line for a push, but obviously he never went any further than the IC Title (which he already lost anyway) after paralyzing Droz.

So, were there actually any plans for a D'Lo push back then? I was always so pissed that D'Lo never got a rematch with Jarrett to further the feud since he was so over.

Having watched a good amount of 1999 PPVs recently, most of which I've never seen before, I would definately agree that D-Lo was a top rising star that was quickly depushed following the Droz match.

I guess the first sign of that was dropping the Euro title to the British Bulldog. I've always been a fan of Davey Boy Smith but, in retrospect, to put a belt on him at that time was just funny.

Guest Fook

I liked D-Lo in 98-99. And he was obviously getting over too. They also had him be the first Eurocontinental champion.

Then he injured Droz.

After that he was lucky to get a televised match. His character was reduced to teaming up with Tiger Ali Singh and begging to be let in arenas. His career never recovered, despite Teddy Long later telling us to be Down with the Brown.

did he have a stint in TNA?

Yeah, and a feud with AJ Styles in 2003 as well. Russo's constant interference and AJ being a lame Jericho 2002-esque heel ruined the AJ/D'Lo matches, though. The only match between them that was probably decent at all was the one that happened when they were still teaming together before AJ's heel turn when he won the NWA World Heavyweight title in a triple threat match with Jarrett and Raven.

D'Lo later went to Japan, came back and suddenly teamed with Apolo later, and then TNA released D'Lo just last year.

D'Lo should have just jumped ship to WCW with Vinny Ru. He would have got at least a US title out of the deal.

Guest Gary Busey
Yeah, and a feud with AJ Styles in 2003 as well. Russo's constant interference and AJ being a lame Jericho 2002-esque heel ruined the AJ/D'Lo matches, though. The only match between them that was probably decent at all was the one that happened when they were still teaming together before AJ's heel turn when he won the NWA World Heavyweight title in a triple threat match with Jarrett and Raven.

If I remember correctly, he really strapped on his working boots. Wasn't he doing frog splashes from the top rope to the floor and crazy stuff like that?

If I remember correctly, he really strapped on his working boots. Wasn't he doing frog splashes from the top rope to the floor and crazy stuff like that?

D'Lo was better in TNA for the most part. I still didn't like the AJ/D'Lo matches during AJ's heel run too well, though.

D'Lo should have just jumped ship to WCW with Vinny Ru. He would have got at least a US title out of the deal.

My memory is a little sketchy on the details, but I think that he was going to jump ship to WCW, even going as far as announcing it to the lockerroom. However, he had misinterpreted his contract and couldn't get out of it, leading to his subsequent burial.

Does anyone else remember this?

D-Lo Vs. Val Venis from SummerSlam 1998 is a great / good match.

Agreed. Other than his so-so feud with Xpac, Dlo was awesome throughout 1998. The look on his face when he beat HHH for the Euro-title :D

The Nation is still my favourite stable of all time, D-Lo was often a sometimes too comedic to take seriously as a full feldged title threat.

He looks a lot like Cuba Gooding Jr. They look like eachother, they do the same moves and stuff, it's freaky. I liked D-Lo, he was a good wrestler, deserved to be a Upper Midcarder. He's a perfect IC Champion

He looks a lot like Cuba Gooding Jr. They look like eachother, they do the same moves and stuff, it's freaky. I liked D-Lo, he was a good wrestler, deserved to be a Upper Midcarder. He's a perfect IC Champion

Ever see the cover of the movie Instinct? It's uncanny.

Baron, I'm surprised you didn't mention D-Lo was your theme in No Mercy.

You're lookin' at the real deal now!

Gonna kick your sorry ass out on the street!

:lol:

You used to think you own the streets

well back your bag, cuz your ass is dead meat

victory is sweet, here's a receipt

I loved gangster D'Lo with Teddy Long, i was interested in that gimmick...until rodney mack got involved.

I too remember the match with Mark Henry and how it was surprisingly very fun. The match with Jarrett at SummerSlam '99 was the best opener I've seen on a WWE PPV since WM10 (Owen/Bret). D'Lo's matches with X-Pac were also awesome.

D'lo to the lesser extent was like Brock Lesner. A big-man who had lots of quickness and can make their oponnent look good.

I mean if I can remember.

Sky High

Lo Down

Jumping Calf Kick (beautifully executed)

Running Powerbomb

Texas Cloverleaf (standing up)

DDT

Leg Drop

Moonsault

man he was just so awesome.

I want to see D'Lo Brown vs. RVD. Battle of the frog splashes!

Didn't D'Lo exchange frog splash tips with RVD? Or am I thinking of Eddie Guerrero when he first came in the WWF with the Radicals?

IIRC when RVD and Eddie were having their IC title frog splash feud, D'Lo was about to come back from an injury and a lot of people were hoping he would get involved to make it a 3 way feud. I think D'Lo got one match with one of them on HeAT and may have done a run in the next night on RAW, but was quickly dropped from that feud. I really don't know if I'm imagining this or not.

I want to see D'Lo Brown vs. RVD. Battle of the frog splashes!

Didn't D'Lo exchange frog splash tips with RVD? Or am I thinking of Eddie Guerrero when he first came in the WWF with the Radicals?

Yeah it was with Eddie when he first came in. After the Radicals attack the Outlaws they were showing them backstage with some of the other wrestlers and one of them was D-Lo with Eddie. And D-Lo said something like "Nice frogsplash" to Eddie.