TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

The WWE Folder

I don't know the ins and outs of wrestling well enough to be a mod in that folder...you DO need to be very knowledgable on the subject to mod the folder, that much is definently true.

I disagree. You could moderate the discussion & keep it on subject without necessarily knowing the factual basis behind the argument. Keep people from flaming, trolling or bringing down the quality of the board is more crucial than being able to support why Benoit is better than Cena or something like that.

The only true skill a mod really has to have is how not to be a douchebag. (Let me note that I actually haven't had an issue with a mod in the years that I've been here, and my "not to be a douchebag" wasn't intended to imply that anyone is now, or has been in the past, a d-bag)

I think niskie would be a good mod. He's great at not being a douchebag.

I don't know the ins and outs of wrestling well enough to be a mod in that folder...you DO need to be very knowledgable on the subject to mod the folder, that much is definently true.

I disagree. You could moderate the discussion & keep it on subject without necessarily knowing the factual basis behind the argument. Keep people from flaming, trolling or bringing down the quality of the board is more crucial than being able to support why Benoit is better than Cena or something like that.

eh, if you're specific to a certain folder and some clown is arguing a point that is clearly, factually wrong, you need to be able to accurately explain to him why it's wrong, THEN tell him to knock it off.

Guest Princess Leena

But, there's not many facts involved in sports entertainment.

If someone thinks John Cena is a better worker than Samoa Joe, and can give a decent opinion about it... they are not wrong. If someone finds necrophilia funny and/or enjoyable... they are not wrong. If someone thinks Paul London should be released because he's boring... they are not wrong.

The people in charge need to decide what they want to do with the board.

If Sass wants it to be only people who "know everything" (i.e. remember everything Meltzer says), and only agree with smark majority... then go fully with that. Ban everyone from the folder who you think is "stupid".

That's the only way you can handle things... because having someone like HTQ in power, and allowing casual sports entertainment fans to post, does not mix.

If this board is that bad, then why stay here?

The people who bitch about people criticizing WWE often tell them that if they don't like then they should stop watching. They should follow their own advice. If they dislike the board so much, leave.

Dynamite drop in, Cyber-Space.

The way I see it, HTQ and Leena are both kind of right. If you don't like the board, you should leave, but at the same time, steps should be taken to make the board as inviting as possible. The mods talking down to people doesn't seem to help that much.

If someone thinks John Cena is a better worker than Samoa Joe, and can give a decent opinion about it... they are not wrong.

So if I say you are talking out of your ass and are completely clueless and can give a decent opinion about it...

If someone thinks John Cena is a better worker than Samoa Joe, and can give a decent opinion about it... they are not wrong.

So if I say you are talking out of your ass and are completely clueless and can give a decent opinion about it...

Hey, I could point out three or four things that make Cena better than Joe that can be debated as true or false. Granted I wouldn't cause even I wouldn't believe myself. If you can actually present a decent opinion that isn't talking out of your ass, I don't see the problem. Nor do I see problem with having fun when RAW hits a snag, helps distract and when the good stuff on it feels more important and offers better discussion.

Somehow, gotta find that balance. It's silly to think making the place 100% serious with discussing nothing but the finer points of the WWE would improve the folder. It would probably end up killing it or starting fights because people can't handle serious debate on the internet longer than 10 posts.

Guest Princess Leena

I miss Silk Stalkings commercials during the US Open. But, Monk is a more enjoyable show.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

9? Damn I think I waited til 11 to start touching myself......

...........!

I lean more towards Leena's opinion on this. I know there's only so much you can do to moderate quality discussion, but daring people to leave if think the forum sucks doesn't exactly work as administrative policy. Just let people debate it out, as it works well for both parties; whoever's wrong has been educated on why they're wrong and/or shown where holes exist in their argument, while whoever's right looks has strengthened their argument (and maybe convinced others who were on the fence).

Make no mistake, though: Calling somebody an idiot and dismissing their opinion out of hand isn't debate. If explaining yourself is "beneath you", then why in the hell are you on a discussion forum in the first place? Big fish in a little pond? People come here to talk about stuff; if you come here to wash within the fictional adulation of some names on a webpage, or if you come here to achieve some sort of validation by dishing out "hard hitting flames", then I suspect that there are more important things that you need to worry about, things outside of TSM and the 'net in general.

I don't think people will want to post here if they know that any posts they make will just be no-sold and be told they're going on someone's ignore list.

Somehow, gotta find that balance. It's silly to think making the place 100% serious with discussing nothing but the finer points of the WWE would improve the folder. It would probably end up killing it or starting fights because people can't handle serious debate on the internet longer than 10 posts.

Absolutely. From what I understand, though, balance isn't really the problem. The problem seems to be that there are "idiots" trying to debate something or just express their opinion and, rather than actually discuss it or argue it, they're just crapped on by others in the folder, including moderators.

don't think people will want to post here if they know that any posts they make will just be no-sold and be told they're going on someone's ignore list.

It's already been lampooned in HD, but it bears repeating: having to use an ignore function to block out certain posters is really sad. If you don't want to read somebody's post, then just don't read it. It doesn't get much simpler than that - all you have to do is exercise some self-control.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

I think that if you're in a discussion and you call someone an idiot, then you should at least be able to back up why exactly you think they're an idiot. A seperate folder for goofy threads would definetly help.

I rarely post in it, but NMB definetly has the best wrestling folder around, I wish we could have one more like that.

whoever's wrong has been educated on why they're wrong and/or shown where holes exist in their argument, while whoever's right looks has strengthened their argument (and maybe convinced others who were on the fence).

Of course, this completely ignores the reality where just because something is "taught" doesn't mean something is "learned". There is only so far you can go with someone who just doesn't "get" certain fundamentals of wrestling and would rather glorify in the stupidity of the WWE. There is a disturbing number of anti-intellectualists on this board who take pride in the fact that they enjoy shit like Shelton Benjamins Mama and Gene Snitsky and who believe that thinking about professional wrestling beyond any superficial point would be over-thinking and wind up being too negative. These are people who can't form an objective opinion or look outside their personal enjoyment bubble or realize that there is a hole in their argument to be filled. It's so much easier to write them off as an idiot, and you won't waste time in a "When I tap your foot and say Hello Mr. Thomson you nod your head" kinda way. You can believe that opinions can't be wrong, but opinions can be worthless and people can have bad taste and sometimes opinions deserved to be crapped on.

So five pages later, anyone think this pretty much stands as a point in favor of ignoring? Some people want this, some people want that, we have the choice to read and respond to what we want to. Why the hell does this thread exist?

Smart people will make smart threads and smart replies and stupid people will make stupid threads and stupid replies. With the beauty of the ignore feature, I just don't see the point of all this.

The real problems here seem to be personal. It's fucking wrestling, people.

EDIT: I don't say that disdainfully since I love it, but it's really not something worth calling someone an idiot over. You know the gag where you sarcastically express frustration with someone over something they did that was apparently a huge offense in their nerdy little worlds? That's pretty much what this is. Ex: "HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY SAY MY WARLOCK IS WEAKER THAN YOUR HELLBEAST?!" "Yeah man, what the fuck were you thinking? GAWD!"

So five pages later, anyone think this pretty much stands as a point in favor of ignoring? Some people want this, some people want that, we have the choice to read and respond to what we want to. Why the hell does this thread exist?

Smart people will make smart threads and smart replies and stupid people will make stupid threads and stupid replies. With the beauty of the ignore feature, I just don't see the point of all this.

I don't really know how you could make much judgment seeing as you just joined a month and a half ago, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

We can just forget the fact that you've had next to no interaction with any of us, unless you're a PBP of course.

I don't really know how you could make much judgment seeing as you just joined a month and a half ago, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

We can just forget the fact that you've had next to no interaction with any of us, unless you're a PBP of course.

Because your opinions don't count until you've got tenure?