TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

The WWE Folder

No, tenure doesn't have anything to do with it. This right here

you've had next to no interaction with any of us
was the point that I was trying to make. If he's had no interaction, then it's kinda hard to say, oh, that Kotz is one smart motherfucker or that Kingofthe909 is one dumb son of a bitch. His opinion on other topics matters, but I don't know if it's too valid on this subject.

EDIT: I don't say that disdainfully since I love it, but it's really not something worth calling someone an idiot over. You know the gag where you sarcastically express frustration with someone over something they did that was apparently a huge offense in their nerdy little worlds? That's pretty much what this is. Ex: "HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY SAY MY WARLOCK IS WEAKER THAN YOUR HELLBEAST?!" "Yeah man, what the fuck were you thinking? GAWD!"

I hate to rub it in, Kotz, but my Hellbeast would destroy your warlock. It's not even close, so that was a bad analogy.

Just sayin'.

Of course you can tell if it's good or bad, but what good is it going to be when they step out of the shadows and spill what they think about the site? I know firsthand that it's not going to be easy for anyone with that low post count to get any support on what they are saying, so it's a waste. That's why we should get rid of post counts altogether, because it helps to eliminate that. Ok, I'm rambling now, I'll stop.

So this is a wrestling messageboard? Just checking.

Yes, and on a wrestling messageboard, amazingly, some people talk about wrestling in a serious fashion. Maybe if this was, say, a Fly-fishing message board the phrase "it's just wrestling" might be warranted and applicable, but on a site where people make the decision to sign up with the intent of posting about and discussing wrestling, I'd say that serious discussion about wrestling is expected, especially on a messageboard called "thesmartmarks". Yes, if you compare it to everything else that goes on in the world today it's silly and it's nerdy, but its a fucking wrestling messageboard and if people wanted to talk about other more relevant shit and not take wrestling seriously they'd probably be on another board, so what the fuck do you expect?

I think that if people are really deciding who's bringing quality posts only by their post count or their member number or the date they joined, they're remarkably ignorant. There are definitely some new posters that blow tenured, established posters out of the water. But a lot of the newer posters aren't that good. It's not that hard to be a mediocre poster, and that's all I'd really ask of someone. Be at least average, and you're a-ok in niskie's book.

If you can read, you can tell if someone's making a good post or a bad post. Actual discourse with the involved posters isn't a requirement.
As a good example, my last post wasn't a good one at all.

Yes, and on a wrestling messageboard, amazingly, some people talk about wrestling in a serious fashion. Maybe if this was, say, a Fly-fishing message board the phrase "it's just wrestling" might be warranted and applicable, but on a site where people make the decision to sign up with the intent of posting about and discussing wrestling, I'd say that serious discussion about wrestling is expected, especially on a messageboard called "thesmartmarks". Yes, if you compare it to everything else that goes on in the world today it's silly and it's nerdy, but its a fucking wrestling messageboard, so what the fuck do you expect?

I was being sarcastic, but yeah, I agree with you to a point. It should be serious, but not to the point that people get legitimately angry.

Even though your point was not with a low post count, but with their registration date. This place doesn't exactly have a difficult learning curve.

I guess, I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. Can't really put it into words.

I think that if people are really deciding who's bringing quality posts only by their post count or their member number or the date they joined, they're remarkably ignorant. There are definitely some new posters that blow tenured, established posters out of the water. But a lot of the newer posters aren't that good. It's not that hard to be a mediocre poster, and that's all I'd really ask of someone. Be at least average, and you're a-ok in niskie's book.

Yes, that's more of what I was trying to say. I know for a fact that people look at post count, and see a stupid mistake, or a stupid idiot and won't discuss. I'm sure lot's of people do it. Usually those newer ones are the ones that get everyone worked up.

Yes, and on a wrestling messageboard, amazingly, some people talk about wrestling in a serious fashion. Maybe if this was, say, a Fly-fishing message board the phrase "it's just wrestling" might be warranted and applicable, but on a site where people make the decision to sign up with the intent of posting about and discussing wrestling, I'd say that serious discussion about wrestling is expected, especially on a messageboard called "thesmartmarks". Yes, if you compare it to everything else that goes on in the world today it's silly and it's nerdy, but its a fucking wrestling messageboard, so what the fuck do you expect?

I dunno, a modicum of acceptance that they're a minority by those who consider themselves intelligent? I don't think that just because it's a wrestling board that it has to be a place where people take it (and themselves) far too seriously.

But who is to define "too serious"? There are people, many people, who think any thought given towards pro wrestling is too serious for pro wrestling. Where do the people who actually want to talk about wrestling in a serious fashion go, then, if they can't talk about wrestling seriously on a wrestling messageboard?

Too serious IMO, is when people would throw something and steam about being called an idiot for hours. People need to grow thicker skins, but that's their problem.

But who is to define "too serious"? There are people, many people, who think any thought given towards pro wrestling is too serious for pro wrestling. Where do the people who actually want to talk about wrestling in a serious fashion go, then, if they can't talk about wrestling seriously on a wrestling messageboard?

I tend to agree with this. On another site I go to, most of the people there are entertained by anything the WWE does and don't find it possible that someone could possibly think that the "humor" WWE tries for comes off flat. 90% of the posters there don't back up anything they say and just come up with "it's my opinion" as a failsafe response to anything. It got so bad that people were recently lamenting the loss of Heidenreich, a guy who was nearly unanimously voted as the worst wrestler on that very site. So I come here when I want to actually talk about wrestling with people who didn't start watching simply because it was the cool thing to do during the Attitude Era. I tend to agree that just ignoring posters is the easiest thing to do if you don't want to see what they have to say, but then again I have a low post count so my opinion is probably irrelevant anyway.

So five pages later, anyone think this pretty much stands as a point in favor of ignoring? Some people want this, some people want that, we have the choice to read and respond to what we want to. Why the hell does this thread exist?

Smart people will make smart threads and smart replies and stupid people will make stupid threads and stupid replies. With the beauty of the ignore feature, I just don't see the point of all this.

I don't really know how you could make much judgment seeing as you just joined a month and a half ago, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

We can just forget the fact that you've had next to no interaction with any of us, unless you're a PBP of course.

Because your opinions don't count until you've got tenure?

University Of The Smart Marks

I'd say "too serious" is a six page thread crying and moaning about people that can easily be ignored but can't be because some posters' brains are apparently too large and powerful to screen any input.

Guest TheDictionary
mooks

n. Slang

An insignificant or contemptible person.

[Probably alteration of moke.]

Guest TheDictionary
CWM

n : a steep-walled semicircular basin in a mountain; may contain a lake [syn: cirque, corrie]

Guest CWMwasmurdered
Come on, CWM, even you can do better than this.

In order to use a dictionary you have to be able to spell words correctly, thus it's obviously not me.

I'd classify myself as just an average person on this board. Been around a while, have a decent number of posts, but not in the "in" crowd, though using terminology like that on a message board seems somewhat laughable. It would be ignorant to speculate on and judge my own post quality, so I won't. I don't really know or care what most people here think of me, but I thought it'd be interesting to hear a thought from someone besides the usual posters.

As your average run-of-the-mill poster, I'd say the discussion on this board is far and away the best of any wrestling board I've been to. Seriously, go check out some other sites, even so-called "smark" boards. Is the WWE folder perfect? No, but no one is ever going to change that. The WWE folder here is way more active and generally higher quality than most other boards. I highly encourage people who look down on the WWE folder here to browse some other message boards and TSM won't look nearly so bad in comparrsion.

If you're looking for solutions to clean up the WWE folder, you won't find them. That's the largest folder and the most attractive forum to new posters. The best approach for a "veteran refuge" would be a private folder, headed up by those most adament about distancing themselves from the masses. They could have their small section and only mods and whoever was chosen by the forum leaders could get in. I know other boards that do this and it works pretty well. The private folder gets good discussion and allows people to talk about wrestling while avoiding people they don't like. I think that's something the mods could look into as a viable solution.

"Purging" the WWE folder will go nowhere because you can only have so many people in charge which reduces the amount of "acceptable" discussion. That would be quite counter productive if your goal is to get fresh new ideas in the folder. Imagine if the US government just started deporting people for not having "acceptable" views. Free speech lends way to a lot of good ideas. Sure, the problem is free speech also leads to some stupid ideas, but you just laugh and move on. The private folder idea accounts for this, as you could still visit the WWE folder, but if you felt you weren't getting anything, you can go to your safe haven private folder with people and topics you like.

That's just my 2 cents.

Me and Rudo having our own sub-folder would solve, like, 80% of the problems that board has. At least 80. Maybe higher.

He's right, except not in the way he thinks he is.

You could create a subforum for the WWE that you have to have a certain amount of posts first before being able to post there. High enough to keep out the newbies but low enough that it doesn't take forever. Say around the 2-300 post mark.

That just creates the idea that the more posts you have, the less you suck. There are people here with thousands of posts and are just awful.

I don't frequent the WWE folder, but when I have recently, I've noticed that there are a lot of new posters all over the place that seem to have a real interest in the product, but on the level that you question whether they're aware it's scripted.