TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE Gets Good News In Armageddon Buyrate

The early estimates are in for last month's Armageddon PPV and the show did its best buyrate since 2002. They early number for the show is around 290,000, which is great for a Smackdown PPV and not that far behind the 375,000 early estimate that Survivor Series did.

CREDIT: PWInsider

Armageddon 2005 was pretty much a one-match show, banking on The Undertaker vs. Randy Orton in Hell in a Cell to pull in the buys and it succeeded. Armageddon 2002 was before the brand-exclusive PPV era, headlined by World Champion Shawn Michaels defending against Triple H in a 3 Stages of Hell match (Street Fight, Cage, Ladder) and WWE Champion The Big Show defending against Kurt Angle.

Well, Undertaker is still popular, like it or not...and frankly, Angle vs Undertaker would mean Undertaker gets at least one good WM match before he retires.

Surprising, but great news for WWE. Guess people did wanna see Taker vs Orton. Maybe even the interpromotional tag match.

Anybody have the buyrates for every WWE 2005 PPV? Or maybe post a link for them? I'm curious as to which PPV was the lowest for the year (maybe the Bash or No Mercy). Also curious to watch the trends (if any) for the PPV-buying public.

Undertaker does draw. Someone seriously think Orton was the draw there?

I don't know why people are down on Taker. Apparently a few years ago he was pretty bad but lately when he puts on a match it's good, and he still has that je ne sais quoi quality. Nobody bounces off the ropes like Taker.

I don't know why people are down on Taker. Apparently a few years ago he was pretty bad but lately when he puts on a match it's good, and he still has that je ne sais quoi quality. Nobody bounces off the ropes like Taker.

Nice.

Well, Undertaker is still popular, like it or not...and frankly, Angle vs Undertaker would mean Undertaker gets at least one good WM match before he retires.

His matches with Flair and Triple H weren't bad.

Undertaker does draw. Someone seriously think Orton was the draw there?

HIAC was the draw, not Undertaker or Orton.

Draw or not, I don't think it would have anything to do with WWE pushing Orton.

Guest SickMoveFiend
HIAC was the draw, not Undertaker or Orton.

No, Taker BEATING Orton was the draw.

If you ask me the hole thing was counterproductive. It was just a match served to the fans so they could see Taker get his revenge on Orton and for the poor desplay he has shonw in regards of this worthless push he's gone through. Not only does it show Orton as a weak desplay of a main eventer but it totally pisses away any credibility towards the Royal Rumble which he is supposed to-and I hope he doesnt-win.

That aside, I would much rather see Taker get a good match out of someone he can work with. I mean, was anyone seriously interested in Orton/Batista which will unlikely happen and hopefully wont happen on ANY PPV least of all a Wrestlemania.

Surprising, but great news for WWE. Guess people did wanna see Taker vs Orton. Maybe even the interpromotional tag match.

Anybody have the buyrates for every WWE 2005 PPV? Or maybe post a link for them? I'm curious as to which PPV was the lowest for the year (maybe the Bash or No Mercy). Also curious to watch the trends (if any) for the PPV-buying public.

Here is a list of WWE buyrates that I compiled throughout the year using the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

New Year’s Revolution 2005 - 367,000

2005 Royal Rumble - 570,000

No Way Out 2005 - 238,000

WrestleMania 21 - 985,000

Backlash 2005 - 310,000

Judgment Day 2005 - 260,000

ECW One Night Stand - 330,000

Vengeance 2005 - 427,000

Great American Bash ‘05 - 238,000

SummerSlam ‘05 - 534,000

Unforgiven 2005 - 225,000

No Mercy 2005 - 219,000

Taboo Tuesday 2005 - 215,000

19th Annual Survivor Series - 375,000

Armageddon 2005 - 290,000

With Angle now winning the title on Smackdown I can't see Orton still winning the Rumble. In fact I'd almost have UT win the Rumble. He's never done it before, one of the few honors that has eluded him. Then you have Angle/UT at WM.

I have no idea how Orton is supposed to be believable in the main event right now. He's a proxy US title participant at this point and looks to challenge Booker for that belt. Frankly that's what Orton NEEDS right now, a solid run with a secondary title. Nobody would buy him beating Angle for the world title.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

Aw Crap. Blandy's going to be chinlocking and WHACKY FACES~! in a Wrestlemania title match.

Here is a list of WWE buyrates that I compiled throughout the year using the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

New Year’s Revolution 2005 - 367,000

2005 Royal Rumble - 570,000

No Way Out 2005 - 238,000

WrestleMania 21 - 985,000

Backlash 2005 - 310,000

Judgment Day 2005 - 260,000

ECW One Night Stand - 330,000

Vengeance 2005 - 427,000

Great American Bash ‘05 - 238,000

SummerSlam ‘05 - 534,000

Unforgiven 2005 - 225,000

No Mercy 2005 - 219,000

Taboo Tuesday 2005 - 215,000

19th Annual Survivor Series - 375,000

Armageddon 2005 - 290,000

Thanks for the post, hitman.

I was pretty sure SSlam was second-highest after Mania, but it seems the Rumble got the nod. It looks weird that NYR2005 and SurSeries got higher buyrates than ONS. And it seems that buyrates decline after SummerSlam, since, with the exception of SSeries, all have similar numbers. And I thought the Bash would get the lowest number but Taboo Tuesday gets the dubious honor. Didn't Taboo 2005 did better than last year's?

The Undertaker has not proven to be as big of a draw over the years, despite his popularity. Just look to No Mercy for proof of who was to thank over the buyrate on this one. That one had UT vs. Orton and it barely broke 200,000.

Guest SickMoveFiend
The Undertaker has not proven to be as big of a draw over the years, despite his popularity. Just look to No Mercy for proof of who was to thank over the buyrate on this one. That one had UT vs. Orton and it barely broke 200,000.

Do you seriously think Taker losing in a casket match to a worthless greenhorn and his semi-crippled father is gonna draw buy-rates? Look at the lousy finnish dude, those buy-rates are down to Orton alone.

Well, this is good news.

Hopefully they will go with Taker/Angle. They have put on some good matches in there last outings on Smackdown! and I heard that they had a pretty good match at a house show shortly before Wrestlemania 21.

Do you seriously think Taker losing in a casket match to a worthless greenhorn and his semi-crippled father is gonna draw buy-rates? Look at the lousy finnish dude, those buy-rates are down to Orton alone.

Last time I checked, fans didn't know exact finishes before PPVs air.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

I think we all kind of knew, but yeah, its not fair to blame that on the result of the match.

Guest SickMoveFiend

What the fuck? I'm not talking about pre-mach speculation. I'm saying poor use of Taker=low buy-rates, putting Orton over=low buy-rates.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
What the fuck? I'm not talking about pre-mach speculation. I'm saying poor use of Taker=low buy-rates, putting Orton over=low buy-rates.

People don't know who's going over before the PPV, when they buy the show.

Guest SickMoveFiend

Ugh...fans buy PPV's because they actually enjoyed the show. Isnt that the point of marketing PPV DVD's? To revisit the shows you actually like? Who in the right mind would by a ppv not knowing the quality of the show?

Fans have internet, they can look up results.

Let us alos not forget that Batista headlined the PPV with Eddie Gurrero actually.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
Who in the right mind would by a ppv not knowing the quality of the show?

People who like unpredictability, i.e., most marks.

Guest SickMoveFiend

Whatever, point is Orton and Batista arent draws and the pretty much the reason for buy-rate declines as of late.

Guest Ransome
Ugh...fans buy PPV's because they actually enjoyed the show. Isnt that the point of marketing PPV DVD's? To revisit the shows you actually like? Who in the right mind would by a ppv not knowing the quality of the show?

Fans have internet, they can look up results.

You appear to misunderstand what is meant by pay-per-view buyrates, which refers to the number of people that order the live broadcast, *not* the number of people that buy the DVD. Thus, you can't attribute a low/high buyrate down to the finishes of matches (as you've done several times in this thread), since fans do not know what these will be when they order PPVs. If anything, buyrates are a revealing indicator of how good a pay-per-view card looks on paper.