TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest stylz

ROH newbie watching on TFN

Guest stylz

I've recently started watching ROH on The Fight Network.

So far, I've seen parts of ROH Reborn:Completion, DBD2 weekend and today, Testing the Limit.

I've been pretty impressed from what I've seen. What are some must see matches and angles that are upcoming (right now, we're up to 8/7/04)?

Any feedbeck would be appreciated.

J

BTW, on the TFN show tonight (that was shown this afternoon also) there's Shelley/Lethal/Steel/Scorpio and Low Ki & Homicide vs The Briscoes. They also show the Jay Briscoe/Joe cage match from At Our Best. And next week they're showing Aries/Danielson 2/3 falls.

It's an awesome match that I hope isn't cut due to match length.

I don't know how the TFN presents ROH if it's in chronological order or not but Danielson/Joe and Joe Punk II will be coming up soon if it follows that order.

Supposedly it was scheduled to go on even longer, but couldn't, what with the fucked up suicide dive and all.

I still need confirmation that they wanted to go 3 hours...

Guest stylz

Another TFN question...anyone know when the NOAH show starts? And at what point they will begin at?

J

Guest Duncan Eternia

Supposedly it was scheduled to go on even longer, but couldn't, what with the fucked up suicide dive and all.

I still need confirmation that they wanted to go 3 hours...

I remember hearing it like this (could be wrong though)...

It was 2/3 Falls but each fall had an hour time limit. Danielson wanted to go to two time limit draws then put Aries over at about the 45 minute mark into the third fall. If true....freakin' nuts. I was at this show live and the match was fanastic, not just because of the length...just an overall excellent piece of wrestling.

Holy freaking crap. Aries/Danielson for over 2 hours . . . almost 3? I don't think I could take that much awesomeness consecutively.

This brings up a point I have been meaning to get to, and I figure this is the best opportunity to do that.

I remember after this match occured, and the inital reaction was "Holy Shit! 75 MINUTES!!!" and quickly it turned into a debate about how wrestling matches don't need to go over 60 minutes because anything over that is just wrestlers trying to put themselfs over and use it as a form of self-masturbation.

I found it funny because watching the match, there's no sense of that happening at all. What I saw was two good and great workers who performed a very solid match that had a considerably long length. If the match had gone nearly 3 hours as Danielson wanted, I still believe that it wouldn't have the fit the bill for "self-masturbation".

A great example of using match time to serve as a masturbation would the infamously shitty HIAC match at Bad Blood 2004 between Triple H and HBK. A match that was purposely booked to go 48 minutes, just to say it went nearly an hour.

It should be noted that the night before CM Punk and Samoa Joe completed the first of the two 60 minute draws and had the wrestling world buzzing about it.

Triple H often likes to break out the long matches to create the feeling that the match is something special because it's going long. He sees that it was something his heroes of the past did on a consistant basis, so he is more then willing to sacrifice a good story and match that can be packed into a 15-25 minute setting and stretch it out to 40-50 minutes and completely destroy what he was intending to do, that is if he was intending to do anything beyond working a long match for the sake of working a long match.

There's masturbatory matches and then there's excessive stalling, running out of offense, etc. An incredibly long singles match is going to run into the latter problem eventually, that's why it's hard to really think going 90+ minutes is a good idea. The wrestlers would need huge movesets and the ability to pace that offense well, in order to pull it off. If the wrestler's can go long while keeping the blatant stalling/time-killing to a minimum, then go for it. But I'd say there's only a handful of guys who could do it.

Who do you think could pull it off?

Other than the guys who've already done it, I don't really know. Logic would say that a Benoit or a Liger would have the mind for it, but they might have a tough time physically (at this point in their careers). I really think it just requires a certain amount of wrestling IQ, combined with a somwhat reasonable arsenal of offense. Then again, Kojima and Nakamura had a really good 60 minute draw, and Kojima is one of the goofiest wrestlers you'll find, and Nakamura doesn't really have a large moveset. Although the problem with that match actually was that they ran out of things to do near the end and starting repeating stuff. It could have been better than it was. So yea, for an excellent or better 60 minute match, it would require guys with a good wrestling mind and good moveset. Lesser guys can do 60 minutes, but I doubt they'd ever reach those heights.

Holy freaking crap. Aries/Danielson for over 2 hours . . . almost 3? I don't think I could take that much awesomeness consecutively.

It wouldn't be awesomeness. It'd get boring and repetitive real quick, the version as is, got repetitive and boring. And Danielson is Top 15 of the World. Aries is in like..... the top 500. Somewhere.... low.

Danielson/Aries going for 2 hours 40 minutes in 2004 would have been a disaster. The 75 minute match was pretty much ALL Danielson, Aries was still too green at the time to even work the match they did, let alone one over twice as long, and as much as i enjoy everything Danielson does his supposed original plan was massively over-ambitious for anyone, and honestly pretty stupid and masturbatory, Danielson beat Aries in less than 20 minutes in their previous match, now he wouldn't be able to beat him in over EIGHT times as long just a few months later?

It's pretty much a miracle they held things together for the length they did go, in 75 minutes they really did everything they possibly could, i have no idea what else they could have done to fill over an hour of extra time. They would have had to go to the Hero/Punk 45+ minute 'feeling out process' book of wasting time, and the crowd would have burnt out long before they even started to built to the finish.

Guest stylz

Quick heads up...

NOAH starts on TFN tomorrow (march 13)

The Monday evening wrestling block is now

ROH @ 5pm

NOAH @ 7pm

Explosion @ 8pm

J

The 2 best promotions in the world back to back? Good night of wrestling says I :D Who knows what the hell they're showing though. All I could see was "Navigation With Breeze", which is their May/June tour, but it's kind of useless without a year.

Guest wildpegasus

I'd love to see a match go three hours for a bunch of personal different reasons.

Buddy and I wrestled a shootstyle mercy fight/wrestling match in the woods for 3 hrs one time. It ended up in a draw but it was still so much fun. Buddy "had me" at one point and I was screaming at the top of my lungs but he felt so bad that he let me go.