TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlefreak

Does anybody think WWE is destroying Shelton Benjamin's career?

Lately, the WWE has started this storyline with Shelton Benjamin's "mom". In my opinion, it makes him look stupid even though he has a great workrate.

I'd like to know what you guys think about how the WWE is currently using this talented wrestler.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

With Angle gone and Shawn stuck with Vince, Mama is the only reason to watch Raw.

With Angle gone and Shawn stuck with Vince, Mama is the only reason to watch Raw.

Do you really think it's the best way to use him?

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

I think its better than jobbing him out to Trevor Murdoch. Or making him Dave Chapelle. And maybe having someone cut his promos for him will help right now. He's got a great voice, but he's not a great promo.

I've heard there gonna bring back Charlie Hass. Do you think they might put him and Shelton back together in a tag team?

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
I've heard there gonna bring back Charlie Hass. Do you think they might put him and Shelton back together in a tag team?

Maybe. That's not really going to help Shelton at this point though. Right now, he's probably still looked at as an IC threat.

Look at it this way...Shelton's mama is probably going to get him a IC title shot.

Look at it this way...Shelton's mama is probably going to get a IC title shot.

EFA

I think they should just drop the whole storyline

Why, if anything this is a positive for Benjamin. He's wrestling on Raw again instead of being on Heat over and over again. It'll boost him up the card a bit, it gives him a gimmick in which case the WWE belieave you need to have to get over. The only negitive is that Shelton's pop reaction is coming down a bit, but I guess the WWE is going to turn him heel so that might be a good thing.

Why, if anything this is a positive for Benjamin. He's wrestling on Raw again instead of being on Heat over and over again. It'll boost him up the card a bit, it gives him a gimmick in which case the WWE belieave you need to have to get over. The only negitive is that Shelton's pop reaction is coming down a bit, but I guess the WWE is going to turn him heel so that might be a good thing.

Your right about the fact it gives him a gimmick, but don't you think they could find a better way to push him?

Its the WWE, to them, shelton having a gimmick IS the only way to push him. If it was TNA or lets say ROH, he'd be pushed because of his actual wresting ablity but in WWE land the only way to get over is to have a gimmick, no matter how comedic it is.

Yes because racial stereotypes are hilarious...

Yep, pretty much.

Edit: Especially when they're used to damage the career of an overrated smark darling.

Yes. His "Mama" just makes Shelton look like a fucking buffon. I don't care what people say about it helping him get over. If WWE bothered to push him correctly instead of jobbing him out to everyone then he would get over anyway. Fuck Shelton's "Mama" and fuck WWE.

Shelton didn't have a career before the WWE for them to destroy. I love these (wannabe) smark consiracy theories. If anything this gimmick is making him look like a team player and keeping him employed.

Guest Fook
Look at it this way...Shelton's mama is probably going to get him a IC title shot.

I think the fact that he was already IC champ for 9-10 months before the mama storyline was even considered should be enough to get him an IC title shot.

Shelton is being dreadfully misused. Hence the "Poor Shelton" catchphrase that's been bantered about ever since he lost the IC title.

Is Shelton championship material? Not at this point. He needs some promo time to not only develop a character, but get experience doing interviews. And he's never going to get that opportunity if all he's doing is taking a backseat to his "mama" and having her speak for him. I'm sad to say that Shelton will probably end up somewhat like Jericho in that they keep holding off pushing him to the main event, so that when he finally gets there it'll just be a token transitional reign.

Your right about the fact it gives him a gimmick, but don't you think they could find a better way to push him?

Why don't you tell us your genius idea to properly push Benjamin, then?

Guest Coffey

Shelton's character was destroyed when WWE didn't capitalize on him beating Triple H. Everything from here on out is just treading water until we see the following on WWE.com:

WWE and Shelton Benjamin have come to terms on the release of his contract. WWE would like to wish Shelton the best in all of his future endeavors.

Guest Hass of Pain
Somebody explain to me what about Benjamin is overrated.

His current upward mobility for one. He's a hell of a natural athlete with a lot of in ring charisma, but as an in-ring promo he's below average and his ring work has gotten sloppy in recent months. His timing always looks just a little off, he misses or botches a lot of his big moves more often than not and his own need for improvement in a lot of areas hurt him as much as not getting a lot of television time on Raw.

With that said, the Momma gimmick isn't enough to detroy Shelton's career, but it's enough to seriously derail it. It's already turning the fans in the arenas off of Shelton's matches and making them groan.

Shelton's Mother being at ringside could work if she wasn't so fucking loud and distracting. If they keep her to backstage vignettes, I think it will help Shelton. He seems to actually have personality when interacting with her.

Guest Jack Potts

Why don't you tell us your genius idea to properly push Benjamin, then?

Although I know you weren't addressing me, I hope you don't mind if I interject.

I think it's generally agreed on this board that Vince McMahon was looking at the wrong Philadelphia Eagle for inspiration. Instead of saddling Shelton with a charismatic, zaftig mama a la Donavan McNabb's mother, they should have molded Benjamin's gimmick into that of a gifted athlete with a loudmouth and outsize ego who nonetheless is able to deliver in the field of competition, like Terrell Owens. This would be frustrating for his detractors and fuel for his apologists. Instead of giving him a mama character, they could have given him a crafty agent, a la Drew Rosenhaus, who tries to offer the most ludicrous explanations and justifications for Benjamin's increasingly selfish behavior.

Imagine Benjamin holding up a scheduled match while he negotiates for more mone and a shorter match time limit. They finally negotiate a match where Benjamin gets his money, but the GM refuses to reduce the time limit from 15 to 10 minutes. For 9 minutes and 58 seconds, Benjamin delivers a **** star match, and just when Shelton has the upper hand, and the pin is a foregone conclusion, he deliberately breaks the pin and rolls out the ring with a disdainful smirk on his face. As the crowd roars its disapproval, he taps his wrist and yells out, "Time is money, baby. Time is money!" as he backs up the ramp. Shelton's point would be that he's not getting paid what he's worth. He's confident enough in his abilities that he KNOWS he could beat any opponent, anytime, but WWE isn't recognizing those abilities with enough money and respect. His agent could hold post or pre-match press conferences to drive home his point and/or explain his client's behavior.