TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

MTV is starting a wrestling promotion

The solicitation noted the pilot is "Looking for a hip and trendy “MTV style” commentator that can grab hold of the action.

Mark Madden?

Max Kellerman and Van Pelt would be perfect.

Well, the taping of this pilot is tonight. Here are a couple of notes from today's PWInsider audio report:

-If you wanted to attend the taping, they wanted people to submit their pictures so they wouldn't have "ugly people" in the audience, to stay in line with the entire "hip MTV" bullshit.

-They are paying all of those "hip" people in the crowd that are going to be on camera about $8 an hour.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So basicly they don't want pro wrestling's target market? $8/hr. Bastards. I look trendy. I don't make $8/hr for standing around. A career change is needed.

So, in other words, MTV shot themselves in the foot by flat-out saying that they don't want the majority of people who watch wrestling to see their product. Good for them.

Though, it's MTV, so it's just going to be a bunch of people going "WHOOOOO!!!" for the camera and nothing else.

I've talk to people on the net that went to the show and the overall opinion is positive and people had a good time. They said the ring had a gritty look and no ring apron.

Also it seem like the plant audience MTV paid was for the hot girls(not surprising).

From PWInsider:

For those of you who don't want to check out the great live reports from the Wrestling Society X taping yesterday in California, here are the matches that took place:

Dark:

*Human Tornado vs. Alter Boy Luke vs. Puma

Taping:

*Jack Evans vs. Matt Sydal

*Black Label Society performance

*Over the Top Rope Elimination/Ladder Bout with 2 WSX contracts suspended above the ring featuring Vampiro, Six Pac (Sean Waltman), Teddy Hart, New Jack, Lone Star, Kaos, Puma, Al Katrazz, Justin Credible (using that ring name), and Chris Hamrick - the match featured Royal Rumble like entrances. Eliminations occurred when a wrestler was tossed over the top rope through a table or onto an "exploding" fence.

Taping Notes:

The warehouse was designed to look like a cross between a rundown club described to me as looking like "CBGB's meets the ECW Arena" with the crowd standing like a mosh pit around the ring. There were a lot of pyro and effects used during the taping. The look of the show even included the ring, which was designed to appear makeshift, dirty and weathered. There were no mat surrounding the ring. and no aprons around it, so under the ring was exposed. The turnbuckles were made of dirty rags that were taped in place.

Former ECW security team Atlas Security were retained for the taping

Delirious and Joey Ryan both declined to sign agreements that would have locked them into the first season of the series (if it is picked up by MTV) and did not work the taping.

The plan at this point is to post-produce and then attempt to sell the series. I was told that the hope was to tape another 12-13 episodes at the same location if the series was picked up. If it gets picked up, there is also talk of using the product on the road as part of a combination live show with rock bands.

Results...

Wrestling Society X

First Taping Results

By Dave Nguyen

(Elite Subscriber since September 2004)

Before I start typing the report, I have say that this event was somewhat disorganized and there were absolutely no safety mats. There were no ring aprons at all. In fact I can look under the ring and notice the smoke machine & a microphone. The building itself looked like an abandoned warehouse. Simply put the place was a mess.

When I got there I waited in line for 1 and 1/2 hours after they picked up the crowd from the parking lot with vans. The audience did not go in at the promised start time 3pm. Heck we didn't go in at the mandatory 4:30pm. We finally came in around 5pm and it was standing room only with no chairs. Okay, enough of me talking about the long wait and get to the matches.

Dark Match:

The Human Tornado defeated Puma and Alter Boy Luke with Tornado pinning Puma with the twisting senton.

After a dark match, a stupid rock band named "Black Label Society" played four long songs in a row with singing two different songs twice. This was obiviously a waste of time. The reason why they're doing this is to promote music with wrestling to please MTV. This led off the first taped match.

First Taped Match:

Jack Evans defeated Matt Sydal with Lizzy Valentine (aka Valentina) with the 630 Splash.

Then the ring crew moved the crowd back to set up the Hardcore Ladder Match which was the main event. It included two ladders, a exploding fence, electrical wires, pryos, thumbtacks and oh yeah...tables. There was also two contracts which the wrestlers have to get to a gain a title shot match for the first WSX Championship.

Main Event:

Sean Waltman (as Syxx Pac) and Vampiro grab the two contracts for the first WSX Championship Match. Also involved in the main event was P.J. Polaco (aka Justin Credible), New Jack, Chris Hamrick, Teddy Hart, Puma, Kaos of XPW fame, and another wrestler who I can't recall.

After the match, I can obviously hear the producers telling Waltman and Vampiro to keep fighting so WSX can continue to tape as part for their show.

After the matches

The rock band played a couple more songs. Honestly, the rock band used more time in the taping than the actual wrestling matches combined. I hated the rock music, and it pissed me off Not enough wrestling was shown.

I noticed Kevin Kleinrock working in production. GQ Money was the ring announcer for the show. He was a horrible ring announcer and his yelling was useless as I couldn't understand the names of the wrestlers that were coming down the aisle. I also heard that Jack Evans lost his passport as he was supposed to go to Japan tomorrow wrestle for Dragon's Gate. Mando Guerrero was also at the event. He was the stunt coordinator for WSX.

Honestly, this was a very disappointing show thanks with the bad rock music from Black Label Society. Three matches that I waited for over four hours (which included the parking lot wait) was pathetic. I was basically seeing an PWG show with the first two matches combined an XPW main event (a promotion that I never enjoyed). Hopefully the production guys can do a great editing job for this show if they want to make this promotion big. I would love to see the next show, but they need to make lots of improvements.

According to someone I talked to who is semi-involved in the endeavor, the Joey Ryan thing is crap and didn't go down at all like Joey is claiming on his myspace. Also, the people in charge are very satisfied with the taping as the footage came out great.

They lost me when MTV wanted a "Warped Tour" crowd. Sorry, but a "Warped Tour" crowd?

I've been to Warped Tour and I'm sorry, that's nuts.

If you are going to do wrestling with Black Label Society, you go Ozzfest crowd motherfuckers!

The review lost credibility for me when he called BLS a stupid rock band.....Just blasphemous.

It lost credibility from me when all he talked about was how much he disliked everything about it. It's called "atmosphere," dumbass. "Some rock band"? Black Label Society is one of the bigger rock acts around these days. How is that "some" rock band? That'd be like calling 50 Cent "some" rapper.

It lost credibility from me when all he talked about was how much he disliked everything about it. It's called "atmosphere," dumbass. "Some rock band"? Black Label Society is one of the bigger rock acts around these days. How is that "some" rock band? That'd be like calling 50 Cent "some" rapper.

I knew you'd make an appearance in this thread.

Well, I already had a few times earlier...but when somebody is pretty oblivious as to who one of the more popular rock acts in the States is? Yeah, I gotta make a comment.

I wouldn't call them one of the most popular but if you're vaguely interested in the musical scene these days, you should know who Black Label Society are or at least know what Zak Wylde looks like.

Well, I already had a few times earlier...but when somebody is pretty oblivious as to who one of the more popular rock acts in the States is? Yeah, I gotta make a comment.

To be fair, Zak and BLS do have moments where even I don't have a clue it's them until someone tells me and I'm a fan of their music. I'm just confused why BLS was even THERE for this. The kind of people MTV was looking for the taping and the kind of folks who know who BLS is are two very different clans.

True, but Zakk Wylde is a huge wrestling fan, quite a few wrestlers are into BLS...so it sorta fits. I wonder if they'll use BLS as the intro song...which should be "Fire It Up" (only good song from the last two albums).

Guest new jack 4 prez

i hope you guys relize if it does get picked up there champion is either going to be saen waltmen or vampiro.

they are doomed

I actually thought they were just Black Label. Are they two different bands or something?

site_construction.gif

Skate Company

fond.jpg

French Record Company

ble_45_logo_web_print_white.gif

American Record Company

bllabfle.jpg

Beer Company

header.gif

The Band

There was also a band named 'Black Label' whose site claims "the Eclectic Redneck Revolution has begun..." That, as far as I know is all things 'Black Label'.

I actually thought they were just Black Label. Are they two different bands or something?

Black Label is a clothing brand name. black Label SOCIETY is a rock band.

Well, hopefully they can improve their future shows with more decent wrestling and less MTV hipster bullshit, cuz the first taping sounded like it was a hundred different kinds of bad.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
A number of talents involved in the MTV Wrestling Society X project have signed 30 day extensions of their contractual agreements. According to one source, the original signed deals were set to expire on Wednesday June 7th, but at MTV's request, Big Vision Entertainment (the producers of the Society X pilot) began signing extensions this week.

Teddy Hart, Vampiro, Sean Waltman, Aaron Aguilera (formerly WWE's Jesus), Jack Evans, Kaos, Luke, Alkatrazz, and announcer Kris Kloss have all signed the extensions.

The same source indicated that MTV remains high on the Wrestling Society X project and asked for the extension so they can concentrate on it once they have moved beyond the upfront presentations for other MTV Network channels (VH-1, Comedy Central, etc.). The MTV Network is unique in that, do not sell their advertising rates based on the programming but by day as they are able to provide advertisers with access to the 12-34 demographics. The contract extensions now keep talents locked in place until Friday July 7th, allowing MTV more time to determine the next direction for the project.

As noted yesterday on PWInsider.com, Justin Credible, New Jack, Chris Hamrick, and Puma will be released from the project as of Wednesday June 7th, as their deals have expired and they are not being re-signed. That will allow the former ECW stars to become involved in WWE's Extreme Championship Wrestling revival in the future, if WWE wishes to sign them. There had been interest in Credible and Hamrick during the early days of the ECW revival.

Puma will now be free to sign with TNA. He had previously been working with TNA after receiving a verbal release from the MTV project.

Kris Kloss will be there fucking annoucer? Great, now if I watch this, I have to watch it on mute. Just fucking wonderful.