TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

No fuckin' with the US basketball team next time around.

I think every platyer needs at least decent midrange game, and that was shown the other night. What they did during that run was reminiscent of at least the 96 Dream Team, if not the 92 squard at points. They played defense and played together. Every one of them can score the ball and that is not what is needed. Defense and teamwork will lead to blowouts a hell of a lot more often than sheer offensive firepower.

I like this squad, because the three from the 2004 squad realized from experience that the international game is radically different from the NBA game. That, and not getting at least two shooters (btw, from what I heard, Michael Redd refused to play on the 2004 squad), the lack of true teamwork, Larry Brown's stubbornness and the lack of preparation time killed that team before it played one game.

I was actually happy to see that beatdown. Sure its a prelim game and its Puerto Rico, but remember what happened two years ago.

I still stand by Larry brown killing the last Olympics.

Its not like they got their asses kicked outside of the PR game. They were still close, then you look at the box score and Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Amare Stoudimire, and Carmelo Anthony play about 10 minutes combined.

Well Brazil, unlike China and Puerto Rico is good. So that was an interesting test. We'll see how they do with Lithuania, Spain, and Argentina before declaring them champs.

Well Brazil, unlike China and Puerto Rico is good. So that was an interesting test. We'll see how they do with Lithuania, Spain, and Argentina before declaring them champs.

That's why I thought it was a little premature to give them the gold after skunking Puerto Rico's practice team and a Yao-less China. Not saying this team can't win, or that they won't be better than Athens, but let's not get ahead of ourselves before they play any real competition.

I don't see anyone "giving them the gold." All we're saying is they haven't had the problems so far that the '04 team had. And right now, I can't see those problems resurfacing, although I obviously didn't see the Brazil game.

I don't see anyone "giving them the gold." All we're saying is they haven't had the problems so far that the '04 team had. And right now, I can't see those problems resurfacing, although I obviously didn't see the Brazil game.

I wasn't specifically mentioning anyone on this board, but a lot of the talking heads of tv and radio were ready to hand the gold to this team before they even faced real competition. I am cautiously optimistic.

US has a 22-point lead on Lithuania at halftime. It's on NBATV (which I don't have, I got the score off NBA.com).

It'd be nice if somebody tells these kids that they don't have to be on the break in order to pass; virtually no ball movement in the halfcourt. In fact, their halfcourt offense has basically consisted of:

1) Anthony brings the ball up and shoots,

2) James brings the ball up and shoots, and

3) Wade brings the ball up and shoots.

That's going to bite them in the ass against any team that's worth a damn. Hell, it almost bit them in the ass against Brazil, and they may have three NBA-caliber players.

They need to have JJ handling the ball and setting guys up. He's done a great job in the games I've seen.

No doubt...everyone's played great. The last two cutdowns for the actual tournament will be pretty tough.

Arenas is out. He strained his groin in practice today. All indications are that Bowen will be the last cut.

Bowen was cut. WCOB roster:

Carmelo Anthony

Shane Battier

Chris Bosh

Elton Brand

Kirk Hinrich

Dwight Howard

LeBron James

Antawn Jamison

Joe Johnson

Brad Miller

Chris Paul

Dwyane Wade

Puerto Rico, China, & Slovenia down so far. Next up, Italy, who is also 3-0 while featuring no NBA players.

Apparently Chris Bosh is whining about his playing time. He wouldn't even be there if it weren't for all the injuries, so I say he should just keep his mouth shut and take his medal.

Anyway, US beat Senegal to go 5-0 in their pool. Here are the brackets:

Eighth-finals

8/26

61. Argentina vs New Zealand

62. Turkey vs Slovenia

63. Spain vs Serbia/Montenegro

64. Italy vs Lithuania

8/27

65. Greece vs China

66. France vs Angola

67. USA vs Australia

68. Germany vs Nigeria

Quarterfinals

8/29

69. Winners of 61-62

70. Winners of 63-64

8/30

71. Winners of 65-66

72. Winners of 67-68

Classification Semifinals

8/31

73. Losers of 69-70

74. Losers of 71-72

Medal Semifinals

8/31

75. Winners of 69-70

76. Winners of 71-72

Finals

9/2

5th Place Game: Winners of 73-74

Bronze Medal Game: Losers of 75-76

9/3

7th Place Game: Losers of 73-74

Gold Medal Game: Winners of 75-76

Guest Vitamin X

They didn't just beat Senegal. They destroyed them. 103-58? That's fucking harsh.

The title of the thread really applies quite well.

Chris Bosh hasn't even been that impressive. As for the team as a whole, I have been very impressed and I think they achieved their goal to make this a TEAM and not just a group of all-stars.

Anyone else think the media actually overrated the scare against Italy? They make it sound like we won on a last second shot, but we were really the better team in the second half and had the win in hand for most of the fourth quarter.

I think we are going to the semifinals for sure, but I still doubt that we are shoo-ins for a medal, let alone gold. Spain and Argentina have been bitch-slapping their competition even worse than we have, and even in the games we have won, our flaws have been evident.

I think we are going to the semifinals for sure, but I still doubt that we are shoo-ins for a medal, let alone gold. Spain and Argentina have been bitch-slapping their competition even worse than we have, and even in the games we have won, our flaws have been evident.
Yeah, but we won't have to play either Spain or Argentina until the Finals.

US beats Australia 113-73, and advances to play Germany, who only managed a 1-point win against Nigeria.

Also, Turkey over Slovenia, Spain over Serbia/Montenegro, Lithuania over Italy, and Argentina over New Zealand. The other two games are coming up soon.

At least it was 40 points and not 50.. wait, is that a positive? Well, we have less NBA players on our team than Slovenia, anyway.

USA should win this whole thing with a great deal of ease, but look for Argentina and Spain to have a good ol' crack as well.

Well, the US beat Germany today...by a score of 85-65, shooting only 37 percent. Needless to say, I'm now significantly less confident about our chances. There's no way they're beating Argentina of Spain shooting like that. They need another strong showing against Greece to change my mind.