TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest InuYasha

Say hello to the newest IT Employee!

Guest InuYasha

Today I got the news. There was an opening in the IT Dept. at my workplace, and I put in an application about 3 weeks ago, thinking it would be nothing more than a technicality. There were people who had lots more experience than me. Heck, one of the guys he interviewed had 10 years experience doing what the job entailed. But, it seems the guy had a bad track record when it came to job-length terms.

So, I was offered the position, and I decided to accept. I mean, why the hell am I going to school, if not to get a job like this?

So, let me know what you think....

Dammit, I didn't get the job i wanted today... I had 10+ years of experience, I just don't understand why i didn't get it... Can someone help me out?

;)

Guest InuYasha
Oh man, this can't turn out well. I'm sensing disillusioned intellectual tendencies already.

What the hell are you talking about?

Dammit, I didn't get the job i wanted today... I had 10+ years of experience, I just don't understand why i didn't get it... Can someone help me out?

;)

What does this even mean? Shut up.

Oh, wait, adminbot.humourscript.2131

Lol, thats pretty funny....

I am a real person, despite what you all beleive :)

Now the server I built which runs this whole site, it has a mind of its own!

Oh man, this can't turn out well. I'm sensing disillusioned intellectual tendencies already.

I don't think it's him.

Oh no. It's not. I just felt that there was a chance things could degenerate into a similar situation. Valentine's Day is coming up. What game will YOU be playing this year?

What the fuck is the IT department and why should we care?

Information Technology (I think that's what it is). Computer stuff.

Congrats. You probably got the job over the more experienced guy because you won't screw up the job duties (much) and will be a much cheaper employee.

I am a real person, despite what you all beleive :)

I've seen pics....

Magic_Robot.jpg

Guest Princess Leena
Congrats. You will be a much cheaper employee.

There's your reason, unfortunately.

Good luck, though!

Guest InuYasha

What the fuck is the IT department and why should we care?

Information Technology (I think that's what it is). Computer stuff.

Congrats. You probably got the job over the more experienced guy because you won't screw up the job duties (much) and will be a much cheaper employee.

Give the man a prize. Plus, the other guy wasn't very good about staying with jobs, and they want someone who will stick around for years, since the entire system they run is proprietary and licensed, rather than sold. So, it's next to impossible to know about it, unles you've used it before. It uses a menu-driven system, as opposed to the more modern GUI setup that Apple and Microsoft use now.

Guest InuYasha

Well, I made it through my first day. We spent most of it meeting two guys who were running us through the finer workings of a new security camera system, and then had to go to another dealership, since a one-digit IP address conflict caused ALL the printers at that location to go down. After that, we went to another dealership, and spent 45 minutes installing a business card/driver's license scanner that should have only taken 5-10 minutes. The PC we were trying to install it in was so old and corrupted, it couldn't even see the Installion CD. Needless to say, it was an exercise in patience and a practice session in effective cursing.

Also, the aforementioned security camera system, which was deceptive in design, had erased the record of the theft of a $45,000 truck, much to the displeasure of my new boss.

I hope you're not one of those arrogant IT people that get around to fixing things when you feel like it just because nobody else in the building can do your job. I hated those people. Fix the server, THEN take a 20-minute smoke break.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0
I hope you're not one of those arrogant IT people that get around to fixing things when you feel like it just because nobody else in the building can do your job. I hated those people. Fix the server, THEN take a 20-minute smoke break.

That sounds more like laziness than arrogance. Whoever's actually arrogant about something as intellectually overrated as being able to fix computers, though, I don't want to meet. And I say that as a nerd.

I don't think it's him.

I'd like to take back the sentiment expressed in this post now.

I don't think it's him.

I'd like to take back the sentiment expressed in this post now.

I'm with you.

Guest InuYasha

Today wasn't one of the good days. I'm on call this weekend, and was woken up at 7 am, from the Ford dealership. One of their dummy terminals was down, so I had to go out there. It's about a 30-35 mile drive, so it tends to suck, especially on my older car. For those of you who don't know, a dummy terminal is a smaller PC that only runs one program, and can only run it while connected to the network.

So, I get there, and think that the terminal has locked up, and needs to be logged off. It turns out the problem was much simpler, and far more annoying. These terminals use a special type of keyboard that uses a phone cord jack, instead of a normal keyboard cable. So, I go and look at the terminal, and try pressing the reset key while booting it up; nothing. Then, I press the terminal set up key; nothing. Now this is odd, because this key is hard wired to the terminal, not the network.

I take a closer look, and the keyboard cable has fallen out of the monitor. So, I taped the cable back into the monitor, and made a note to replace it on Tuesday, when we get back from the holiday.

But, at least I got about $11 of free gas out of it; since I used my own car.