TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
admin

TSM Arcade *** Poll *** & Feedback

TSM Arcade Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the TSM Arcade?

• Great Addition!
    • Its ok, I got better things to do...
    • WTH!? Why does a forum like this need to play games... Are we children or something?
  2. 2. Should High Scores be reset periodically?

• No!
    • Yes, ******* Cheated and now it is permanently unfair!
    • Yes, Weekly
    • Yes, Every 3 days

...or for the 1241234th time...

That's not the first time I've seen you use this hyperbole. It's not funny. It's like a five year old trying to be funny. Just use "millionth" like everyone else. God.

Anyway, I've got to say I support the cheating (if it's going on, which I have no idea or opinion on), because it makes things less fun for the people who care about high scores.

Huh? Everyone who plays arcade games cares about scores. Not a single one of these games would be any bit of fun by themselves. Playing Pac Man or Curveball by yourself is just as bad as playing basketball by yourself. What's fun is being challenged by someone and trying to out do his/her score, not so much the actual game. It's all about competition. If someone is cheating, it takes all the fun out of it.

It would seem a line-by-line breakdown is necessary here.

Huh?

I can go slower, if need be.

Everyone who plays arcade games cares about scores.

Ignoring the fact that "everyone" is disproved by my post, there are a lot of people who enjoy these sort of games as a time killer/time waster.

Not a single one of these games would be any bit of fun by themselves.

That's far from true: the games test reflexes and memory, which can not only be fun, but can invoke a sense of pride of the player does well.

Playing Pac Man or Curveball by yourself is just as bad as playing basketball by yourself.

That's comparing apples and oranges; basketball is a team sport, and an athletic competition. Furthermore, most of the games in the arcade -- if not all -- are single-player.

What's fun is being challenged by someone and trying to out do his/her score, not so much the actual game.

This is your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but you're presenting it as fact which is flawed. Also, I'm not saying that that's not the case for some people; it just seems trite to me, and so I like it when that parade is rained on. At no time did I say that my line of thinking was the only one.

It's all about competition.

I think we've covered this. Again, personal opinion.

If someone is cheating, it takes all the fun out of it.

Based on the belief that the only reason to play these games is for a high score, which I believe we've covered sufficiently.

Let me expand on my earlier remarks. I have no problem with people taking pride in a high score, and I think cheaters should be outed. But when people start getting their panties in a knot over someone stealing their accolades on a game of internet Simon, that makes me laugh, and a part of me hopes the scores are never reset. It's post counts all over again. I know I'm not the first to make that analogy, but it's a good one and it bears repeating.

Why is it that i play specific games, reach a certain top 10 placement and suddenly i get a screen that said "score could not be submited" and all the work was lost.

Same here. Especially the game where you shoot an animal at the board on the left. I broke the high score twice before realizing it only lets me submit bad scores now.

Same here. Especially the game where you shoot an animal at the board on the left. I broke the high score twice before realizing it only lets me submit bad scores now.

That's the one i was having repeat problems with.

Hawk 34

With 335

Your Score 385

Times Played: 445

That's what it says on the main arcade board, It says the high score is 335 yet, below it says my score is 385.

Why don't I have that nifty thing under my name either?

yet, the scoreboard, the real leader has over 470...

Damn it, I'm pissed now. I spent hours trying to get high scores yesterday, and now I find that Leena's just been cheating on all the big ones. There's no way in hell she could have possibly got six of those ridiculous scores over the course of two or three hours. If she'd gotten them over the course of two or three days, I could have believed it, but this way I know she's cheating.

Minus 20 internet respect points.

Oh, and before anyone says it, I know I have no life. I got kicked out of school a few weeks ago, and the only job I have is online poker so my time's pretty much as free as I want it to be.

Why did you get kicked out of school, Iggy?

On topic, I'm liking the arcade. Fun time-waster. I don't care about cheating or high scores. I'm more concerned with beating my own best score.

I got a DUI and under the WSU alcohol policy it counted as a third strike with two incidents from freshman year, even though I'm now a junior and the other two incidents were getting caught drinking by an RA in the dorms and an MIP.

I wasn't really going anywhere with my major though, so I'm not that worried about it. There was a pretty good chance I would have dropped out at the end of the year anyway.

Oh, and to put something on topic, I just got a 42 on Simon and it was completely legit. I still have most of the colors in my head, so I can go through the thought process if anyone cares.

I thought I could finally reach the top on one of these games, and I come home to find that CanadianChris scored 235 on Paper Toss.

*shakes fist at CanadianChris*

Leena stole my account and cheated at Cub Shoot!

Honestly though, it was a bug in the game. That, or getting 13,529 means I'm just fucking awesome at killing bear cubs.

I thought I could finally reach the top on one of these games, and I come home to find that CanadianChris scored 235 on Paper Toss.

*shakes fist at CanadianChris*

I probably couldn't do that again in 1000 tries. All the close ones bounced in instead of out.

The score bug saying something about an error should be fixed now... Also added a few more games.

If anybody did actually cheat on these games, I'd like to thank them for showing me what rock bottom truly is.

Can't get any more pathetic than that.

Ha, let's see somebody beat 55 on Simon. It was absolutely legit, although I did get a pretty easy pattern. Here it is while I still remember:

RGGGYGGGGGYYYRRRRBGGGGRBRGRBGYRYGGYYYRBYGBRBBYRYRYRYRRGG

I finally screwed up on something really easy, as I knew that the RY pattern toward the end repeated four times, but I only clicked it in three times before moving on to the green. Again, there were a lot of repeated letters that helped me out, but I don't doubt that I could best it someday if I was really motivated. Once you've typed in a set combination 10 or 15 times, it's almost impossible to screw it up. As long as you make sure you remember the new color before you get it started, the only way to lose is to do something stupid like forget your place in the pattern.

You're just wasting time if you're not starting at level 10. The only way to score big points is to get tetrises at high levels. The higher you get the more points tetrises are. If you're able to reach level 25, you can get over 100,000 for each one. Plus, after a certain point, the game actually stops going faster each level, and it just gives you more points.

That's especially noticeable on the non-Mario version: once you get past level 60 or so, there's no noticeable speed increase at all, and it's just a question of how long you can/want to continue to concentrate.

I still don't like the Mario version, though; the exclamation points are extremely distracting to me, and I don't know why, and I'm not used to the color scheme, either. I keep getting the L-pieces inverted.

Slim, don't you also have the insane Tetris scores racked up on one of the Sacramento Kings forums too? Because I know I've seen your screenname and teal font on one of the boards before.

I can finally stop playing for I finally made the top score in a game. I know I'm getting bumped soon, but I'll live for the moment.

Slim, don't you also have the insane Tetris scores racked up on one of the Sacramento Kings forums too? Because I know I've seen your screenname and teal font on one of the boards before.

I can finally stop playing for I finally made the top score in a game. I know I'm getting bumped soon, but I'll live for the moment.

I did; we don't have an arcade there anymore, but when it was taken down, I was in first by a mile.

Guest Princess Leena
That's not the first time I've seen you use this hyperbole. It's not funny. It's like a five year old trying to be funny. Just use "millionth" like everyone else. God.

It's not trying to be funny. But, thankfully, your improvement has ceased and I can put your fat ass on ignore again. Whew.

And remove my scores. I'm now getting PM's from the fucking losers who care WAY too much that I'm better than them.

It's not trying to be funny. But, thankfully, your improvement has ceased and I can put your fat ass on ignore again. Whew.

Nobody talks like that! Also cute that I was apparently "improving" until I took a shot at you. You get the high score for odd coincidences!

So, anyway. Does anyone else think that the "arcade" link in the upper right is kind of out of the way? Might be good to put a link at the top of the forum for awhile, or even to mention it on the flashy new main site. Something like "now with ARCADE~!" under the link to the board. Or...it could just be me. Just a thought.